Beginner Advise needed please

Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
Yes
hello people I'm after some advise on enlarging photos . Basically I have a canon 1200d I have taken some shots of sunrises / sunsets etc I have emailed my camera shop in York to have the image enlarged and blown up to print n frame . I was told that it could only be blown up not very big and told me to adjust the settings in my camera . Sent another one in and same problem . I have photo shopped them slightly on photo shop on my iPad then saved to camera roll . Could this be doing anything to the resolution when I am photo shopping them slightly . Any advise much appreciated

Regards
Jon

Did you record them in raw or jpeg? If jpeg, what size (as in pixels e.g. 600 x 480 but hopefully much bigger !!)? You should be able to print up to A3 without too much problems from a full sized file.

Hi Jon, your max resolution is ni on 18mp, this is good for A3+ no problem.
I have the 1d MKiv with 16mp and print at home with this resolution all day with excellent results.
I think you need to find another printer maybe, I work at a printers in along the south coast and we print upto 5 metres wide by 50 metres long with resolutions far less than 17mp
Depending on how big you want and the printer used you can always process the photo and at the end resize the image to 200ppi which will increase nthe image by quite a bit and still look great.
We are down sizing the resolution all the time to increase the final print and unles we start with absolut rubbish they look fine.
Remember the larger the print the further away you stand to look.

Are you emailing the photographs from your iPad? If so the mail app automatically downsizes them.

The original files from your camera will be more than high enough resolution, it is your workflow using the iPad which is causing the issue.

Do you have a PC that you can at least transfer the photos back onto (after editing them) and email them from there?

iPad isn't ideal for processing. Make sure the app isn't automatically downsizing the files when it saves them.

Are you emailing the photographs from your iPad? If so the mail app automatically downsizes them.

The original files from your camera will be more than high enough resolution, it is your workflow using the iPad which is causing the issue.

Do you have a PC that you can at least transfer the photos back onto (after editing them) and email them from there?
Will try that mate thanks

Did you record them in raw or jpeg? If jpeg, what size (as in pixels e.g. 600 x 480 but hopefully much bigger !!)? You should be able to print up to A3 without too much problems from a full sized file.
JPEG mate

Hi mate it gives option for small 39.8kb medium 132kb large large 539kb or actual size 1.4mb

Cheers
Jon

Have you double checked the camera jpeg quality & size? If so it must be the Photoshop app. 18mp Canon jpegs should be more like 4.5 - 6mp at large fine jpeg settings.

I just installed Photoshop Express on my phone to try it. It's halving the file size just by me opening and saving with no edits or crops.

There doesn't seem to be an option to change it either (at least not on my version).

Last edited:
Hi mate it gives option for small 39.8kb medium 132kb large large 539kb or actual size 1.4mb

Cheers
Jon
The file size should be between 5 and 7mb. Don't use any mobile apps to produce your final image, they'll almost always massively reduce the final output size, use a PC or Mac.

Do you only have an iPad?

Last edited:
I use photoshop on my ipad for basic editing.it gives the option of saving to camera roll or Flickr. I've uploaded to Flickr direct, and also via camera roll, and can view images at their full size on Flickr.
The ipad does reduce the size when emailing though.

Or use a proper online printer like DSCL, email isn't the ideal vehicle for images.

The file size should be between 5 and 7mb. Don't use any mobile apps to produce your final image, they'll almost always massively reduce the final output size, use a PC or Mac.

Do you only have an iPad?
Yes mate only have I pad I'm going to get the Mac book air shortly .

Back