Advise on lens adapters!

Name
Laura
Edit My Images
No
Hi I have a sigma 70-200 lens 2.8 that went on my old Sony camera. Does anyone know of an adapter that i could use so it could be put on my Canon 5D Mark3.

Normal suspects would be Metabones or SRB but they don't appear to have anything that adapts from A-mount to EF (they have everything else).

Sony A-mount (the older SLR/SLT mount compatible with Minolta AF SLRs), or Sony E-mount (the current mirrorless mount)?

A-mount adapters exist, but they are rather complicated (they need an extra lens to correct for the thickness of the adapter, which has its own aperture ring) and only give you a partially functional lens (no autofocus or open aperture metering):

I haven't seen E mount adapters, presumably for the reasons given in the first reply to this thread:

Last edited:
Then no, it's not practical to design one that would be generally useful.

If it's E mount as in mirrorless the registration distance is shorter than a DSLR's so you'd need an adapter with a corrective lens in it. I think...

It's a pretty big registration difference - probably hard to design a corrective lens that would give decent results, and you'd still need to find a way to control the aperture electronically.

Just sell the lens and buy one in EF mount, even if you find an adapter ( unlikely) it probably won't retain electronic communication with the camera and will be MF only.

Are you sure?
I can't find a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 for E-Mount.

Which camera model was it?
And is it definitely an E-mount lens, or did you need another adapter to mount it on the Sony?

Last edited:
Just sell the lens and buy one in EF mount, even if you find an adapter ( unlikely) it probably won't retain electronic communication with the camera and will be MF only.
This is usually the best advice even when there is an adapter, unless you have a special interest in using that particular lens (as in the vintage lens thread!). It's a pain to lose AF and open aperture metering, which is usually the case, and lens performance suffers if the adapter needs a corrective lens element.

I'm not overly familiar with Sony but what I gather here is that OP was using an E mount camera with the FE 70-200? Still don't think it's possible to adapt to DSLR, it works the other way without much hassle. Probably best to sell it on and get as suitable lens for the Canon.

Thanks for the advice everyone, looks like the best option will be to buy a lens for the Canon.

Thanks for the advice everyone, looks like the best option will be to buy a lens for the Canon.
Native mount always works best. Try to buy used if you can, since it's likely DSLR kit will lose value in the medium term more quickly as makers favour mirrorless.

Back