Advise on New Lens please?

Name
Lennard
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, need some advice on New Lens from these two, your Opinion counts and not the price.

Canon EF 24-105mm f/4.0 L IS USM II £699

Sigma 24-105mm f/4 DG OS HSM £600

or could you suggest a different Lens, want to replace my Canon EF-S 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW. I was caught out a few times over the decades with older Sigma's not working with Newer cameras. You can pretty much pledge your life that any old Canon lens will work with ANY current or future Canon camera it fits. That said, they make some mighty tempting looking lenses these days......

Assuming you have a crop camera ( as you are using E-FS lenses) then neither of them-they are too long at the short end on a crop.
Canon 17-55 f2.8 if you want constant aperture or canon 18-55 if you don't need constant aperture , or the sigma 17-70.
Unless you already have or are going to get a 10>??mm UWA then get the canon you have listed above

Generally speaking, most if not all recent Sigma lenses have had excellent optics, but their autofocus isn't as quick or as reliably accurate as Canon's. I don't know about the 24-105 specifically, but I'd expect that still to be the case.

So if you're happy to focus manually, the Sigma is likely to deliver better image quality, albeit not by a significant margin. But if you're going to be relying on the autofocus, then the Canon is a safer option.

Last edited:
Unless you already have or are going to get a 10>??mm UWA then get the canon you have listed above

I have the Sigma 8-16mm UWA which I love and use often and find it to be a great Lens..

Camera CANON EOS 750D

Last edited:
I have the Canon 24-105 f4 on a crop and don't have any issues with the wide end being too long, but that all depends on how and what you use it for. As for the lens it's self, it's fairly fast to focus, smooth zoom and focus ring and gives good image quality. On the down side, there is barrel distortion (but that is easily fix in lightroom in lens correction), on my lens which is getting on a bit now, the zoom had a tenancy to creep when faced directly down, which is only really a problem when the camera is on a tripod and I'm photographing straight down, it's also quite heavy (but not unmanageable). Would I buy another one? Yes I would.
I can't comment on the sigma I'm afraid.

Thanks to all who replied, went for the Sigma 24-105mm f/4 DG OS HSM after reading reviews and watching YouTube.

Now waiting for Delivery later in the Week.

Back