AEB problem on 5DMII.

Name
Gareth
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All - At the weekend I was trying to use the bracketing function for some landscape shots (which I have done in the past no problem), but it doesn't seem to want to work for some reason. I have set the bracketing in the manu as normal to take the 3 shots (+/-2 stops), but when I press the shutter it only takes one shot. The symbol on the display which has 3 rectangular shapes overlapping each is flashing. I have looked in the camera manual but it doesn't really say a lot.
Anyone got any ideas? I use one of the back buttons for focusing - could this be causing problems?:thinking:

Thanks for looking (y)

Gareth

if set to single shot you need to press the shutter three times, use continuous and hold your finger on the shutter button to take 3 in succession

if set to single shot you need to press the shutter three times, use continuous and hold your finger on the shutter button to take 3 in succession

I'm 99% sure when I've done this in the past I only pressed the shutter once and the camera did the rest. :thinking:

Cheers for the link - I'll see if that sheds any light.

the camera just makes the adjustments for the next 3 shots that you take. 1 under, 1 level, 1 over exposed. You still have to take 3 shots manually. i was confused by it too as everywhere i read about it said it takes 3 exposures, which i assumed meant with 1 press of the shutter. That's how it is on the 5d MK1 anyway :shrug:

I assume you're shooting using the continuous drive mode?

I think I'm going slightly mad as I can't think how to ensure it's in continious drive mode? Don't have the camera at work unfortunately.

the camera just makes the adjustments for the next 3 shots that you take. 1 under, 1 level, 1 over exposed. You still have to take 3 shots manually. i was confused by it too as everywhere i read about it said it takes 3 exposures, which i assumed meant with 1 press of the shutter. That's how it is on the 5d MK1 anyway :shrug:

I still seem to remember not having to press the shutter more than once - like I said though, I'm actually starting to question my own sanity now! :bonk::)

hold the AF-Drive button down and rotate the rear wheel until you get the multiple frames symbol on the LCD.

You definitely have to press 3 times.

Page 97 of your camera manual explains this.

5D_Mk_II_AEB.JPG

Changing the drive mode is covered on page 85 of your manual, but Dogfish_magnet got it right.

PS

If you do this a lot, you can make life easier for yourself by registering a Camera User Setting (C1, C2 or C3 on the mode dial). That's what I've done. I set up the camera for AEB shooting (Av, +/2 AEB, continuous drive, etc.) and registered those settings as C3. Then I can just recall them with no effort.

Registering Camera User Settings is covered on page 206 of your manual.

I was gonna say that if you want the camera to automatically take the three autobracketed shots once you press the shutter button, you need to set the timer first. I always do that so that it minimises any camera movements from the first shot onwards if I want three identical bracketed shots for that HDR project.

Last edited:
wippers said:
So if I set the timer, it will automatically take all 3 shots without any further input?

Yep

Cheers guys. Got home last night and tried again using the timer function and it works fine. I must have done it this way previously but couldn't remember how. Memory's not what is used to be. :shake:

Thanks again to everyone. This forum always restores my faith in the great british public with the helpfulness of everyone. (y)

Gareth

Back