AF Area Sony A68

Edit My Images
No
Hi,
I used to work with an A57, but recently bought the A68 and I just can’t find the correct AF area setting? Anyone any advise?
On the A57, it was pretty straight forward, Wide/Zone/Spot/Local, but it completely different on the A68.
According to the manual I should use Wide given the 79 AF points.
I tried to photograph 2 mushrooms almost standing side by side, one of the mushrooms was slightly towards the back, so obviously the AF will focus on the one closest to the lens, but I never managed to get both of them in focus? Settings: AF area Wide and F6.3

And if I want to photograph a landscape if I want the whole picture to be in focus, do I use Wide, with and F11?
On the A57 I would select Local AF and it would work perfectly, but Wide on the A68 doesn't give me the result I want???

All advice would be sooo appreciated!!!!

Use spot, move the AF point to what you want in focus, adjust F stop accordingly.

A camera only has one focus point, unless you're talking something like the new dual lens phone cameras!

You can have 79 points, or whatever number, and your camera will guess which one to use when you shoot ... useful for unpredictably moving subjects.

But normally Single AF is the way to go. (I think that's what @twist means when saying "spot").

I don't do landscapes, but I think the general rule is focus on something 1/3 of the way in.

Last edited:
And this is how I used to work with the A57, the A68 is very different and that's why I'm looking for help :)

Oh I see. So selecting "spot" is the problem?

The A57 has Wide/Zone/Spot and Local AF Area, which is straight forward
The A68 has Wide/Zone/Center/Flexible spot/Expand flexible spot/Lock on AF, I’m just struggling when to use which and the manual isn’t clear enough…
For my mushroom picture, on the A57 when I select Wide, it would immediately detect the 2nd mushroom, but here on the A68 when I select Wide, despite its 79 AF points, it would only focus on the mushroom which is closest to the camera.
I tried various apertures, but the 2nd mushroom would stay out of focus…so not sure what I’m doing wrong?

The A57 has Wide/Zone/Spot and Local AF Area, which is straight forward
The A68 has Wide/Zone/Center/Flexible spot/Expand flexible spot/Lock on AF, I’m just struggling when to use which and the manual isn’t clear enough…
For my mushroom picture, on the A57 when I select Wide, it would immediately detect the 2nd mushroom, but here on the A68 when I select Wide, despite its 79 AF points, it would only focus on the mushroom which is closest to the camera.
I tried various apertures, but the 2nd mushroom would stay out of focus…so not sure what I’m doing wrong?

Use flexible spot, this allows you to choose the focus point.

Event when there are several subjects you want in focus?
Aperture .... Increase your f. numbers, right up to the max, f.22 (?)
ISO .... base, 100 (?)
this will slow the camera down dramatically, so tripod is needed.

Try different focal lengths, shoot at wide-ish angle with camera close to subject, then crop if required.

When using wide, the camera evaluates the whole frame, but I have found the answers on youtube, instead of focusing on the A68 I saw a video on the A77 which kinda uses the same technology...

Back