AF fine tune on D7000

Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Got my D7000 with 18-105 VR lens on Tuesday and very pleased I am with it.

But...I do believe it is back focusing a wee bit, and I'm wondering if it's OK to have AF fine tune turned on permanently. After doing some tests I have dialed in -5 and it does make things that little bit better.

Having no experience of this kind of function before I thought I'd better ask those who know!

On closer inspection, and after trying some more settings...I'm not convinced the fine tune is making a whole lot of difference. I think the proof will be in the pudding when I finally get out there on Saturday and shoot! Maybe I'm being too fussy or expecting too much?

Last edited:
It's ok to have AF fine tuning turned on. That's what it's for. You should be able to store settings for several lenses that will be automatically recalled whenever you mount each of them. Having said that I'm surprised that you find such a significant error in the kit lens, and I agree with you that getting outdoors for some real world testing would be a good idea.

I have the 18-105mm VR kit lens at the moment, which I believe also comes with the D90.

I think I'm just being a bit too fussy, without having gone out and shot a load of photos in the real world!

I have to take into consideration that the D7000 is a tough camera to get the hang of for some people, and that the 18-105mm isn't the sharpest of lenses at f3.5 (which is the aperture I was using when "testing" it!). At f8 it seems nice and sharp.

So I'm going to turn AF fine tune off, get out there and take a stack of shots and post them on flickr and on here and see what people think. Once I've got used to the camera i'll then look again at the focusing if I feel I need to. If there is any probs I can then adjust it or swap it under the 2 year guarantee.

I have to take into consideration that the D7000 is a tough camera to get the hang of for some people, and that the 18-105mm isn't the sharpest of lenses at f3.5 (which is the aperture I was using when "testing" it!). At f8 it seems nice and sharp.

I doubt that you would get optimum sharpness from a kit lens wide open, you would be reliant on good light and technique.

You should see better results from f5.6 (y)

I have seen plenty of super images from that lens, I think you need to get out in some decent light and use the camera, these things take some getting used to, but with digital it costs nothing to fire off loads of practise shots. (y)

An unsharp image isn't always out of focus, especially as perceived sharpness is more related to edge acuity than resolved detail. Definitely shoot more before worrying about MA :)

Back