AF issues on Canon 70-200 f2.8 after new AF drive

Name
Rach
Edit My Images
No
The autofocus motor in my Canon 70-200 f2.8 lens was replaced in the middle of May this year after I was unable to focus automatically at 70mm. Lehmanns repaired it and all was ok.

Today I've used it and am not happy with the focusing at the 200mm end of the scale, it seemed a little soft at times- intermittent, but enough for me to notice and not be 100% satisfied. The 70-100mm end of the scale was fine for focusing. But given that the autofocus was replaced in May, how likely is it to have gone wrong again? I'm contemplating ringing lehmanns and seeing if they can have another look at it but don't want to be landed with another £300 bill (although it should in theory be under warranty).

Lens has heavy use, equestrian sports mainly. Or could it be an issue with the 7D I'm using?

I'd have expected a 6 month warranty on the repair, should be some detail of that on the invoice you got last time round. Maybe there's a kind TP member near enough to you that would try the lens on their camera to see if it misbehaves for them as well.

Both ends should behave well, so it could be calibration issue. They may have had to change a few things over to do the repair. I would certainly use the 6 month clause (I had used it against canon a couple years ago).

And next time send it to Canon. I have a feeling they would charge less than £300 for that job.

I couldn't send it to Canon as I'm not a CPS member and they quoted well over 3 weeks to get the lens back to me, this was a Monday and I needed it the following Saturday for work. I'm not a CPS member, not eligable as I don't have enough kit. If I remember rightly the bill came in at £245.

Back