AF-S compatible low “f” lenses

Edit My Images
Yes
I see a few brands doing 30mm and 50mm lenses around the 1.8 1.4 mark that are fully AF-S compatible however anything lower than that look to all be manual. Is this correct or am I just looking at the wrong places?

Thanks

I assume you mean lenses compatible for a canon body.

All EF lenses will work on the XXXD, XXD, XD and 1D series camera's whether they're 1.3x Crop 1.6x Crop or Full Fame.

EF-S lenses are specifically designed for the 1.6x cropped body camera's XXXD and XXD models.

The problems you get with Ultra / Wide angle lenses on cropped sensor camera's is that you lose part of the image because of the smaller sensor, so for example 50mm lens frames like a 80mm lens on a cropped sensor, which has its advantages and disadvantages.

There are lots of lenses with autofocus / manual capabilities.
14mm f2.8
15mm f2.8 fisheye
24mm f1.4
28mm f1.8
35mm f1.4
29mm f2.8

I assume you mean lenses compatible for a canon body.

All EF lenses will work on the XXXD, XXD, XD and 1D series camera's whether they're 1.3x Crop 1.6x Crop or Full Fame.

EF-S lenses are specifically designed for the 1.6x cropped body camera's XXXD and XXD models.

The problems you get with Ultra / Wide angle lenses on cropped sensor camera's is that you lose part of the image because of the smaller sensor, so for example 50mm lens frames like a 80mm lens on a cropped sensor, which has its advantages and disadvantages.

There are lots of lenses with autofocus / manual capabilities.
14mm f2.8
15mm f2.8 fisheye
24mm f1.4
28mm f1.8
35mm f1.4
29mm f2.8

Pete, he is talking Nikon not Canon. A good website for all things Nikon is grays of westminsters site,the only comment I would make is that they are not the cheapest pllace to buy, but are very knowledgable on all aspects of the past and current nikon ranges.

It is true. There are only three f1.4 and one f1.8 AF-S lens on the market now.

They are Nikon 50 f1.4g, Sigma 30mm f1.4, Sigma 50mm f1.4 and Nikon 35mm f1.8.

14-24 f2.8, 17-55 f2.8, 200 f2, 24-70 f2.8 and all the tele's f2.8 and f4 are AF-S.

I think that a 24mm f? AF S is the next arrival from stuff I have read.

Must read question before babbling :tumbleweed: hadn't had 2nd cup of coffee at 9 in the morning. And you are correct, not may AF-S lenses available. check out linky

http://www.nikonians.org/nikon/slr-lens.html

OR He could buy a canon, lots of fast wide angle glass :wave:

The Cannon looks to have some great lenses, Wonder why no one does the same for the Nikon. I have got my self a 30mm f1.4 on its way to me for now but I will look out for the 24mm arrival. Thanks again for the help everyone :)

It's not easy to get a proper image with f/1.4 and quite often buying a lens f/1.2 you can expect to use is at f/2 only. I personnaly can't see any advantages of f/1.2. I would say this is marketing. If you really need a fast lens Nikon AF 50 f/1.4 is the best choice. It is one of the sharpest lenses at f/1.4. A new AF-S 50 mm G has better picture but is is not as sharp as the old one at f/1.4. But is is sharp enough starting from F/3.5. If you need any charts with explanations -let me know and I'll send you all the links.

Back