AF-S motor issue

Name
Jacob
Edit My Images
Yes
I brought a Nikon AF-S 50mm f1.4 G lens from the forums not so long ago. It has been working fine for the last few weeks and now all of a sudden it has decided to stop working. The ring feels stiffer than usual to move and the AF is very laboured and requires 4-5 presses of the shutter to get focussed. Almost as if the motor is not powerful enough/there is no lubrication on the focus mechanisms. Has anyone experienced this before? I live 2 mins from Lehmans so will drop it off in the morning but just wondering if anyone has an estimate for the damage on my wallet?

Anything we say will be a guess.. Let the experts tell you..

Could be anywhere from £50 to £500 I would think.

Sounds like it's broken.....

There's a clutch inside and these can slip. It's possible that's what this is.

Labour at a decent camera shop will be £75 + vat per hour so you are looking at best part of £200 for a strip and rebuild plus parts. Possibly more. Lens is £275 brand new.

Sounds like it's broken.....

There's a clutch inside and these can slip. It's possible that's what this is.

Labour at a decent camera shop will be £75 + vat per hour so you are looking at best part of £200 for a strip and rebuild plus parts. Possibly more. Lens is £275 brand new.

Dropped it into Lehmans today so waiting for estimate on Monday. Hoping it isn't a write off as I have only used it for a week since having it :shake:

Back