Af slow on D60

Name
Oliver
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all.

Just thought id ask your opinion really. Ive recently got myself a 50mm 1.4G Af-S when using it this last weekend and the Body D60 was really stuggling with the AF it was taking and age to get it right and when tracking a running child i was missing it alot due to not catching on alot of the time.

Im looking at upgrading my D60 body anytime soon anyway do you think a D90 if going to be much better or am i going to have to go futher up the range to really get it to its full potential.

Any advice would be great. Thanks alot.

Oli

It was really slow I had to switch it to manual and try and get them with that due to it lagging when one of the little ones was running past me. Nightmare.

I love to go for a D300 if my budget will extend to this I will.

Yes all my others are af-s aswell and seem quicker

what focus mode were you in? With AF-s lenses on AF-C continunal focus you should be able to track a running todler. My D40 could do it with the kit lens in fair light.

What other lenses are you comparing it to?

Thanks,
Rick

Ill have a look in a little bit what setting its on.

Ive got 18-55 kit lens, nikon 70-300 vr and my prime.

Did you buy it new? If so maybe the store where you bought it can test it for you. Failing that do you know anyone else with a Nikon camera?

The 50 1.4 is known for being a slow focusing lens. It doesn't keep up well with moving subjects. It's not your camera that's the issue, unless your other lenses are also slow.

The 50 1.4 is known for being a slow focusing lens. It doesn't keep up well with moving subjects. It's not your camera that's the issue, unless your other lenses are also slow.

Mine will keep up with my grandson no problem, whilst not the fastest focusing lens, it is not that slow.

The issue with the 50mm 1.4G is I would think that they geared it for accuracy rather than pace, when shooting at f1.4 probably not a bad thing.

Make sure the camera is in AFC, and for the quickest response I would use single point. The thing with multi point / dynamic area is there is a slight lag whilst the camera fathoms out which point to use, single point removes that from the process.

For blistering focus speed you want the 17-55 f2.8 ... now that is quick.

Mine will keep up with my grandson no problem, whilst not the fastest focusing lens, it is not that slow.

The issue with the 50mm 1.4G is I would think that they geared it for accuracy rather than pace, when shooting at f1.4 probably not a bad thing.

Make sure the camera is in AFC, and for the quickest response I would use single point. The thing with multi point / dynamic area is there is a slight lag whilst the camera fathoms out which point to use, single point removes that from the process.

For blistering focus speed you want the 17-55 f2.8 ... now that is quick.

It is slow though. Get your grandson to run at you and fire off a burst with it and see how many come out in focus. Fast focusing lenses get 8-10 out of 10 in focus, depending on distance. The 50 doesn't ;) That's a conscious tradeoff for single shot accuracy, as you mentioned. Makes sense given the use of the lens, but there's no point pretending that the tradeoff isn't there.

It is slow though. Get your grandson to run at you and fire off a burst with it and see how many come out in focus. Fast focusing lenses get 8-10 out of 10 in focus, depending on distance. The 50 doesn't ;) That's a conscious tradeoff for single shot accuracy, as you mentioned. Makes sense given the use of the lens, but there's no point pretending that the tradeoff isn't there.

What body are you using yours on?

Back