AF to AF-S?

Edit My Images
Yes
I have seen several sorts of lens converts for sale. Ones that convert normal lenses to Macro. Ones that multiply the zoom of a lens. Even ones that convert manual focus lenses to AF lenses.

So my question is was there ever an adapter to take manual focus or old style AF lenses and convert them to AF-I/S body? Preferably something that has the drive motor in it and can actuate the ring gear on the old AF lens to run on a new AF-S camera.

- teleconverter. Goes between lens and body and provides additional magnification at the expense of quality / focus speed and aperture. Contains glass. Usually available in 1.4 and 2.0 formats although there are others

- extension tubes - a tube which goes between body and lens. Reduces minimum focussing distance considerably which can turn an ordinary one into one that can be used for macro purposes

- lens mount adaptors. A fitting which goes between body and lens which allows you to use a lens from another manufactuerer - eg Pentax screw lenses on a Canon.

You can't turn a non-autofocus lens into one that will autofocus.

Thanks for the reply Andrew.

I only asked as I had just seen the Pentax-F 1.7X AF adapter that says it converts manual lenses to auto. Apparently it does not alter then lens at all but the adapter is moved with the drive screw and this is what effects the focus. From what I have read/seen it appears to work quite well.

This got me thinking that perhaps some one had mad a adapter to fit normal AF lenses to a AF-S body. Your just fitting the drive motor to the adapter rather then in the camera body as AF-S body don't have them. Any one know if such a thing was ever made?

Thanks

If there was one then it would move the lens outwards and act as a TC so your AF 18-55 would end up as an AF 27-82 or something like that then yes it would be doable having a motor in the adapter which turns the focus screw based on the electrical outputs.

Will it happen - Absolutely not

Why - Because it would cost twice what a TC would cost and would cause problems for certain types of lenses (this is why not all lenses work with TCs ie the glass at the rear of the lens would hit the front of the TC).

It would just be cheaper to sell your D40/40x/60 and buy a D90 !

Nope, cannot see "Nikon" on either of them !!

I am saying it will never happen for a Nikon because there is no point with the next model up having the focus motor.

Fairy snuff. thought you meant wouldn't happen full stop.:)

Nikon did have an attachment for the F2 that provided AF back in the late 70s. It coupled the body and an MF lens as far as I can remember. I've never seen one, let alone used one, and I think it was a bit clunky, but this was before mainstream AF came along.

Back