Affinity 50% off

The offer ends on 30 June. If you've been considering Affinity, now would be a good time to get it.

View: https://BANNED/affinitybyserif/status/1405089314548092930

I will throw my hat in the ring. I'm sure I want to do it but much will depend on a lightbulb moment and then the opportunity to get out and execute the idea. Loved the print swap so will do my best to get involved with this, thanks for organising

I have made an initial commitment by getting Affinity Publisher before realising I had Indesign as part of my Adobe Subscription - Doh

Last edited:
Got it. Great deal though it will take me ages to get to grips with the more advanced stuff.

you thats complicated- have a look at Photoshop 2021 - had a version for around 10 years and finally got to grips with most of it :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Les

Good deal, thanks for sharing! Been thinking about trying out new stuff for portraits outside of Photodiva.

just looked at it ,very tempting but do I need it as well as Lightroom CC .. looks like a buy it and never use it option ?? hmmmmmmmm

If you have the CC package that includes PS, then maybe not, unless you're considering moving away from Adobe at some point. If you don't have PS, Affinity Photo might make sense if you ever need to do more sophisticated local editing than LR provides. The other Affinity packages, Designer and Publisher, are also good, and a lot less expensive than adding Illustrator and InDesign to your CC subscription if you want to dabble in graphic design or maybe put together a photobook.

Last edited:
Apparently Affinity have a photo management program in the works, which would address the gap in the Lightroom+Photoshop comparison. I personally would consider a Lightroom alternative.

Here are some tutorial links to see the Affinity Photo scope and learning curve for anyone is thinking of buying but want to learn more first:

Downloaded a 90 day free trial see how it does

Apparently Affinity have a photo management program in the works, which would address the gap in the Lightroom+Photoshop comparison. I personally would consider a Lightroom alternative.

Here are some tutorial links to see the Affinity Photo scope and learning curve for anyone is thinking of buying but want to learn more first:

That's been rumoured for a long time, but nothing solid has surfaced, unfortunately.

As well as the videos, they also now have an online manual:

It might, as long as the RAW processor was fully up to speed ...

Yes, I've heard that before, but to be fair haven't seen anything concrete on that - especially for the most recent revision. I guess the challenge would be to find an edited (or 'rescued') image that has adjustments in Lightroom, and try to recreate the result with Affinity Photo. That would be the litmus test for me.

I've purchased both Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer on offer on iPad and Windows at various times; however I still pay for the Photography package on CC as Lightroom Mobile is just too useful not to have; that said if the long rumoured Affinity Management thing came then I might change my mind.

I guess the challenge would be to find an edited (or 'rescued') image that has adjustments in Lightroom, and try to recreate the result with Affinity Photo. That would be the litmus test for me.
Go on, then ...

Had a play with some files today ,found it rather laborious compared to LR ,don’t think I’ll be taking it up , also compared my go to L/R. Classic against the new L/R and again preferred the older version . Still time to change my mind though

Had a play with some files today ,found it rather laborious compared to LR ,don’t think I’ll be taking it up , also compared my go to L/R. Classic against the new L/R and again preferred the older version . Still time to change my mind though
By new L/R you mean L/R CC cloud with limited editing?

I have had and used Affinity Photo for some time after finding standalone Lightroom no longer worked with whichever Mac OS went fully 64bit - I don't like the subscription model of Adobe and others either. AP I think replaces Photoshop for my needs but no DAM so purchased PhotoMechanic for that and DXO for more basic editing to replace most of the functionality of Lightroom. All said, I mourn the loss and demise of Aperture.

I have had and used Affinity Photo for some time after finding standalone Lightroom no longer worked with whichever Mac OS went fully 64bit - I don't like the subscription model of Adobe and others either. AP I think replaces Photoshop for my needs but no DAM so purchased PhotoMechanic for that and DXO for more basic editing to replace most of the functionality of Lightroom. All said, I mourn the loss and demise of Aperture.
Probably no need but you could boot high Sierra from ext drive and edit in LR6 ?

I've been using the trial version of affinity and when saving the image it saves in an affinity format with no option to change to JPEG or TIFF. Does that change when you get the full version?

I've been using the trial version of affinity and when saving the image it saves in an affinity format with no option to change to JPEG or TIFF. Does that change when you get the full version?

You may need to export the files as JPG or TIFF if those are the finished formats you need (rather than save them) as such. I don't know, but suspect you'll be able to do that in the trial mode.

You may need to export the files as JPG or TIFF if those are the finished formats you need (rather than save them) as such. I don't know, but suspect you'll be able to do that in the trial mode.
Ok thank you

If I remember right there are two options on saving , not installed right now but it put me off initially till I saw the other option

I ran the trial version for awhile, I'm pretty sure its a full version..
Don't "save", go to file export and save it where ever you want to., by clicking the export button on the 2nd image

AFF1.jpg >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> AFF2.jpg

I'm seriously considering buying this software, I refuse to subscribe to Adobe...

I'm seriously considering buying this software, I refuse to subscribe to Adobe...
Its good value, especially if its still on offer.
TBH I only bought it for the staking / focus merge part.
Normally I use CS5 but affinity is far superior in that area.

That's promising because I mostly use HDR. I used to love photomatix pro

thought you put Stalking for moment there lol

I like it but only use about 10% of its capability I suspect. Hence why I don't feel like I need to shell out for PS/LR.

My main tools are ACDSee for catalogue and simple adjustments and Luminar 4 for more detailed adjustments.

At the price on offer, if you don't have PS then I would suggest it is very good value.

I like it but only use about 10% of its capability I suspect. Hence why I don't feel like I need to shell out for PS/LR.

Me to. It is useful when I cannot do something in more simple photo editing software. As said above, Aperture was always my first go to, then Lightroom until that died. Affinity Photo is far more powerful than I need - but then so was Photoshop

Yes I’ve mentioned it before the exposure merge (HDR) is really good as well as the focus merge I used affinity to blend a couple of images with different exposure and it worked really well , I never managed to get them to look right using photoshop, probably me not doing it right in photoshop but affinity worked spot on was worth the purchase just for that image

Last edited:

Thanks that’s really helpful I’m still learning how to do things in affinity having used photoshop for so long

probably me not doing it right in photoshop
I've tried every which way ( but lose) with PS, over the years,
and it still can't touch Affinity, so I doubt that its you.

Last day of the half-price offer today ....

I want it to be Photoshop-like because I'm used to that interface, but I don't suppose it'll take that long to be up & running. It's not just where the controls are (how do I do such & such?), but there's a language shift too - if you've edited a tif file then want to 'save as' a tif or jpg etc, you have to 'export' it, which is LR more than PS language.

Last day of the half-price offer today ....

I want it to be Photoshop-like because I'm used to that interface, but I don't suppose it'll take that long to be up & running. It's not just where the controls are (how do I do such & such?), but there's a language shift too - if you've edited a tif file then want to 'save as' a tif or jpg etc, you have to 'export' it, which is LR more than PS language.
Not quite true.
If you edit a TIFF then it will save as a TIFF.
You only need to use the "Export" command if you are changing the "Save" format - in common with most other programs.

Back