Affinity or Lightroom

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone, I imagine this does not have a simple answer but here goes, Which of the 2 programs is considered the better one? Hmmm discuss. I used to have Lightroom which I quite liked and got on with, I just prefer not to have a monthly subscription so I cancelled. So I suppose what I am really asking is, Does Affinity have all the functions and controls of Lightroom? How does it compare. And part 2, what spec computer would I need to to run either of these programs? Many thanks for any comments, advice. Cheers.

Hi

Do you need a RAW editor only or also need the Digital Asset Management that LR provides?

Affinity is only a raw editor like photoshop.

Does Affinity have all the functions and controls of Lightroom?

The 2 are not alike. Lightroom is about image processing and management, Affinity is a pixel-level editor like Photoshop, for making deeper edits with some flexibility to allow processing too.

Nearest options to lightroom without subscription now are On1 Photoraw, DXO Photolab and Capture 1. There are free trial downloads available, and I'd definitely suggest trying one or more.

What computer? Something upper-mid-range. i5 or i7from the last couple of generations, or AMD Ryzen 7 chipset, 16GB RAM minimum, NVME main storage + additional fast storage for images & HDD for backup. Most editing software uses graphics card power, so an Nvidia 3060 or Radeon XT6600 or better. However all these will run on something more pedestrian with varying degrees of lagginess.

My Affinity Photo version 1 works on my iMac 2007 although Affinity says it doesn't. There might be some functions not working correctly but all the general editing functions work as they should.

Thanks every one for your swift replies and sharing your experience and knowledge. Also thank you for the welcome Toni.
With ref to the computer part of my questions, I can understand and appreciate Toni's suggestions so I think I'm on the right track with that one.
The Image editing software bit is one of those, the more I learn the less I know situations? Firstly I had not heard of On1 Photoraw, DXO Photolab, Capture1 so I will have look at their websites.

With ref to Kevs comment, and please excuse my ignorance here, If Digital asset management of LR means the Library and web publishing functions then I don,t need these, I never used them when I had LR. I only ever used it to post process my photographs generally taken in Raw with occasional JPEGs.
So, I will have look at the programs suggested for now, However, if any one else has any pearls of wisdom to share on the topic please do
Happy New Year to you all.

A happy new year to you too.

DAM covers quite a lot of things including adding keywords to images (helps when trying to find the picture you want out of 50,000 or 100,000 images) adding watermarks to identify your work and viewing exif data. It's not essential for an amateur but is helpful.

Happy New Year.
I used Lightroom up to version 6 perpetual licence but also did not want to go down the subscription route also AJMO it is compared to Affinity quite expensive for armature use, I use FastStone viewer as a DAM and that allows me to open images into Affinity, very easy to use that way and I suppose best part is it is free!!!. Russ.

Back