Affinity Photo : Question

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
I'm still floating on the boundaries of moving on from Photoshop Elements 13.
Currently, it's either Elements 2020, or Affinity (aided by the 50% discount price).
I enjoy black and white images, so my question for the Affinity users is:
"Does Affinity allow separate colour channel adjustments in Black and white at either RAW or later stages?"
I've tried looking through their promotional data/adverts but couldn't find anything.
Many thanks

It does at both stages, it looks like the same panel in both, it has 6 adjustment channels, RGBCMY. I haven't used Affinity extensively but it does seem to be very comprehensive and a "no brainer" at the discounted price.

Retune and Chris,
HUGE THANKS!
That's just the answer I was looking for
I've received an Email from EPhotozine and the 50% offer is regenerated through them.
That's the job for me this afternoon.

Good tip on Ephotozine! I had a look at their site and found this:

Get 50% Off Affinity Photo Today!
Now that you’ve seen just five of the amazing features on offer, it’s time to jump in and explore the rest, including amazing real-time Live Filters, one-click Macro presets and so much more. To buy Affinity Photo with an ePHOTOzine exclusive 50% off, click here.

Ooh well done, Retune + Reheat! I had downloaded a PC version a few weeks ago, as my ancient MacPro couldn't run it. But now I've got a more up to date MacMini, I'll give it another go!

Last edited:
Thank Paul! I hadn't seen that offer before it was mentioned above. Looks like the discounted pricing is in $USD when you click through - not sure if this changes when you give Affinity your UK details, or if you might get hit by a currency conversion charge on your card, but it will still be much cheaper than the full price.

Well, I've gone ahead and downloaded it
£23:99 which includes a free set of raster brushes as a separate add on.
First impressions is that it's perhaps not as intuitive as Elements (but then I thought Elements was complex to start with).
I'm looking forward to the migration - I've still got Nikeffects as a bolt on for Elements, so I can swap inbetween as need be.
I also see there are plenty of tutorials on the net and a handy built in help guide (used already to alter the default dark grey intro screen).
Good luck to all, - me included...

I'm still using the Nik plugins in an old copy of PS, but you can apparently install them in Affinity:

The old free Nik installers are still on Google's servers if you need them:

Paul.,

I've been using "Affinity" exclusively now for about two years having come from PS & LR. In my opinion it's every bit as good as PS but not quite as good as LR as there's no cataloguing etc. But other than that it probably does everything that PS & LR can do just somethings you have to do slightly differently. The only thing that I used to do in PS that I haven't as yet managed to do in "Affinity" is make up my own brushes and save them.

George.

Thank you George.
As I said on my original post, I enjoy black and white.
Having seen the quality of your work, with the knowledge you use Affinity, fills me with aspiration.

I'm still using the Nik plugins in an old copy of PS, but you can apparently install them in Affinity:

The old free Nik installers are still on Google's servers if you need them:

Yes I've got the free Nik set installed as plugins in Affinity.

I use LR6 mainly but have Affinity as my full-on editing program rather than PS, so have the best of both worlds imho. LR for DAM and Affinity for editing.

Can I install this on both desktop and laptop, or is it single machine only? I couldn't see it in the Tech Details on their website.

Can I install this on both desktop and laptop, or is it single machine only? I couldn't see it in the Tech Details on their website.
I've got it on both a desktop and laptop with the same license key. I've also got Affinity Publisher on both

You can install it on all your computers, at least if you buy it directly from Affinity (not sure about the MS and Apple app stores). There's just a licence key that doesn't require online activation. Full details here:

You can install it on all your computers, at least if you buy it directly from Affinity (not sure about the MS and Apple app stores). There's just a licence key that doesn't require online activation. Full details here:
Thanks!

Paul.,

.....but not quite as good as LR as there's no cataloguing.......

George.

As George says, there is no cataloguing. However I've paired Affinity Photo with Digikam. Digikam provides me with useful tagging and rating facilities. No direct link between the two packages, but easy to click an image in Digikam and select open in Affinity Photo.

One advantage of Digikam is that it leaves your files in the file system and allows tagging to be added.

Enjoy
John

Just pushing out another huge Thanks to Retune, Chris and all who offered advice on this.
I took the plunge, learning like a crazy thing, but so far for B&W (at the mo) "I'm loving it"

Yeah, it’s possible with macros but it’s a pain in the bum compared with the right-click, copy and paste of Luminar/LR. It’s just not designed for that purpose. It’s more about powerfully editing single images, like photoshop.
Yeah, it's the same set-up as in PS - can't comment about LR as have never used it. As I'm used to it from PS, I no longer find it a pain...but I can understand that an LR user can se it that way if it is a far simpler process.

I bought AP when it first came out July 2015 £19.. every update since then has been free, they work hard to improve it,Nottingham based if they still are, excellent company

Back