Affinity Pro (iPad)

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Folks I thought it might be worthwhile setting up a dedicated thread to discuss Affinity Pro seen as a few of us seem to be using it on the iPad!

I've only had it a few days and as some have said there's a fair learning curve but I'm getting there, I'm happy I can just about replicate what I can do in Lightroom/Photoshop!

Is this for iPad only? I am Windows user and could do with some occasional help too. Is the iPad / Windows interface that different?

Count me in on this Sir, Great Idea. (y)

Unexpectedly I was given a 12.9 iPad pro & Pencil for Christmas and have downloaded Affinity Photo (iPad version) and I'm trying to get to grips with it. I've played all the tutorials and watched several You Tubes etc and it seems to be one hell of a good program for the iPad. I'd be really interested to hear all about how others are getting on with their's and of course exchanging tips etc.

George.

Last edited:
I think probably the thing I'm missing most v Lightroom/Photoshop on the PC is perspective adjustment, for example -

1. Most of the processing done on this but you can see the distortion on the build and tower:

Berliner Dom (Uncorrected) - Affinity Pro (iPad) by Chris Mitchell, on Flickr

2. This the original effort with Photoshop on the PC where I've been able to correct much of the distortion, the Tower now looks (almost) vertical and the Cathedral itself isn't leaning over

Berliner Dom Light Trails by Chris Mitchell, on Flickr

3. This is the effort using Affinity Pro - I've not been able to sort the distortion/verticals quite as well as I can with Photoshop but the processing is much the same.

Berliner Döm, Berlin - Affinity Pro (iPad) & Lightroom CC Mobile (iPad) by Chris Mitchell, on Flickr

Mistaken posting.:banghead:

Last edited:
ive found the Simon Foster teaching course for iPad affinity photo excellent,2 more days at £9.99

I've just signed up for the Simon Foster iPad Affinity Photo course Sir, I was very impressed with the introductory videos and the extended offer of £9.99 (finishes in a few hours) was too good to miss out on.(y)

Thanks for the heads up on that much appreciated.

George.

I've just signed up for the Simon Foster iPad Affinity Photo course Sir, I was very impressed with the introductory videos and the extended offer of £9.99 (finishes in a few hours) was too good to miss out on.(y)

Thanks for the heads up on that much appreciated.

George.
your welcome George,will be interested in how you get on and thoughts etc, am about to start it myself having already his excellent
courses on AP on the Mac
note, Simon is very responsive to any question etc so feel free to message him if you need to.

I'm interested in this...I currently have an ageing laptop which constantly hangs, Iruns out of memory, I have to delete all photos blah blah. It's been like this for 2 years but it's getting to the point where I need to do something..

So I either buy a new laptop ( £600 ? ) + LR upgrade as I have 5.7 and it doesn't do RAWs for my d500 or I go for an iPad Pro.

Does anyone edit only on an iPad instead of a laptop ? Help and guidance required please :)

I'm interested in this...I currently have an ageing laptop which constantly hangs, Iruns out of memory, I have to delete all photos blah blah. It's been like this for 2 years but it's getting to the point where I need to do something..

So I either buy a new laptop ( £600 ? ) + LR upgrade as I have 5.7 and it doesn't do RAWs for my d500 or I go for an iPad Pro.

Does anyone edit only on an iPad instead of a laptop ? Help and guidance required please :)
ive started to just use my iPad now to edit Damian

Pro or "normal" ? I have a 32gb iPad but that wouldn't be enough for a loads of holiday photos.

Can these "non laptop" programs do RAW ? I assume LR does ? Does affinity ? ( lazy mode here... )

Pro is better, it is s faster than the base MacBooks, ideally 12.9 inch screen with 256gb storage as a minimum and an Apple Pencil.
Yes iPad Pro and Affinity Photo handle RAW with no problems.

Pro or "normal" ? I have a 32gb iPad but that wouldn't be enough for a loads of holiday photos.

Can these "non laptop" programs do RAW ? I assume LR does ? Does affinity ? ( lazy mode here... )
2017 Pro 12.9 512gb Apple Pencil,using AP and LR(free version)

I have both the 9.7 and 12.9 Pro. The latter is the 2017 model so is the same as the 10.5 for the most part. All I can say is, don’t bother with an 9.7 or smaller device. There just isn’t enough screen space to edit efficiently to make it a worthwhile purchase if you plan on only using a single device to edit. The 12.9 is the far superior choice as you can actually see what your doing.

Learning curve is immense. It is not an easy program to get to grips with and will certainly take a few weeks to get to a competent level and arguably months to master just as you would expect from similar programs such as photoshop or Lightroom.

The pen is a must as is a stand of sorts to elevate one side of the pad by 25 degrees or so. I would also say get a decent Dropbox or one drive subscription (or a NAS to load files to) that can be accessed by the iPad. IPad storage sizes of 32/64gb units are a waste of time. Go for the 256gb and if you can, add cellular so you always have access to the cloud. Failing that you could tether but it gets a little clunky relying on more devices.

Throw office 365 in to the mix and I have to say that my laptops days are certainly numbered.

I’m looking forward to the rumoured iPad Pro X and the developement of other apps that handle video well (mobile davinci Resolve please!!!) to come out and when they do I can see professionals lining up and ditching the Mac books in favour of a single tablet.

Has anyone tried focus stacking yet?

I'd like to ask a couple of questions from a position of total ignorance; never having processed an image in my life.

I bought Affinity when it was on offer awhile ago because a) It was cheap and b) I have an IPad Pro. I have yet to open the app up and start to learn Affinity.

My questions are 1) Is the IPad Pencil useful and worth having to use with Affinity? and 2) IF pencil is worth buying; should one buy the genuine Apple pencil or is a third party pencil good enough?

This one seems to have good reviews on Amazon and is substantially cheaper than the Apple version:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Heiyo-Styl...=1&ref_=ox_sc_act_image_1&smid=A3H7Y2BT07FFUV

Thanks.

I'd like to ask a couple of questions from a position of total ignorance; never having processed an image in my life.

I bought Affinity when it was on offer awhile ago because a) It was cheap and b) I have an IPad Pro. I have yet to open the app up and start to learn Affinity.

My questions are 1) Is the IPad Pencil useful and worth having to use with Affinity? and 2) IF pencil is worth buying; should one buy the genuine Apple pencil or is a third party pencil good enough?

This one seems to have good reviews on Amazon and is substantially cheaper than the Apple version:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Heiyo-Styl...=1&ref_=ox_sc_act_image_1&smid=A3H7Y2BT07FFUV

Thanks.

These third party pencils are nowhere near as good as the Apple unit Sir, They are amongst the better ones that operate with all the iPads but are not even close to the real thing which is exclusive to the iPad Pro. The proper Apple units are pressure & angle sensitive and are more accurate with virtually no latency. (y)

Hope this helps.,

George.

These third party pencils are nowhere near as good as the Apple unit Sir, They are amongst the better ones that operate with all the iPads but are not even close to the real thing which is exclusive to the iPad Pro. The proper Apple units are pressure & angle sensitive and are more accurate with virtually no latency. (y)

Hope this helps.,

George.

Thank you George - appreciate your comments (y)

Cheers

Apologies if I should have posted a new topic/question, but I am currently struggling with my workflow and want to get away from editing always having to edit on the desktop PC.
So, I have a couple of questions to those members using the IPD pro;
1) is it a viable desktop replacement for (virtually) all editing. I don't use PS.
2) I currently use LR stand alone on my desktop. What sort of issues (catalogue & photo sync) am I likley to face if I stay with LR? Will I have to make use of the cloud?
Thanks

Last edited:
I have been using an iPad Pro for editing and its great. Mines only a 9.7”, hopefully going to get the 12.9” asap.

Do any of you know of an app that can show your focus points on the photo taken? I used to be able to do it on my old laptop with Canon software I believe. Google has t helped much.

I have more iPads than I have hands and none of them can use this because it only works on the more recent iPads. I bought the last one just over a year ago but still no go. To me it feels like Adobe in the way it makes you keep buying into the latest tech. How hard can it be to make its available for older machines?

Last edited:
Anyone know how to copy one of my own created brushes (or any other ones) from PS CS6 to Affinity Photo iPad Pro & PC version ?(y)

George.

Last edited:
I normally use LR for all my editing, however it does have limitations on the iPad when it comes to cloning etc (I know you can edit in Adobe Fix), However I also have Affinity on the iPad. My normal workflow consists of importing use the SD Card adaptor importing into LR, delete from photos and clear LR cache once it has all uploaded. Carry out all editing and then Export the finished images back to Photos for sharing and viewing. My question is once you have added the Photos to the iPad and Imported into Affinity for editing, does this create a 2nd copy on the iPad or does it use the original and save back to that file (either destructive or non destructive). I currently have the 256GB version of the 12.9 iPad but shooting with a 42mp camera which produces files of 50-80mb each, having 2 copies would soon fill up the memory whilst on holiday.

Back