Affinity Sale

It is nice to see them growing, regardless of price Photo is the best (for me) software I have used and the easiest. And of course the price is very good.
I like the others, but after using CorelDraw for nearly 35 years, I still end up using that most of the time.

Will never go back to anything else unless they adopt the subscription nonsense :)

I'm thinking of going with Affinity but can't use V2 with my current operating system. I'm planning to upgrade my OS in the next month or so, does anybody know if I buy V2 now and don't download it if I will be able to do so when I upgrade?

Good price, I paid half that a few years ago, for V1 while it was on special offer but a full price around the same,
£45 iirc.

Sadly my editing machine is W7 and is not suitable for V2 or I'd grab it.

I'm thinking of going with Affinity but can't use V2 with my current operating system. I'm planning to upgrade my OS in the next month or so, does anybody know if I buy V2 now and don't download it if I will be able to do so when I upgrade?
I don't know for sure, but you will get an activation code when you buy it.
I doubt that has an expiry date. But as again, don't quote me on that, try contacting them to make sure.

Last edited:
You should be fine to do that, you're buying a license for the software. It should just be the same as buying a new PC and taking the license over to the new system from an old one.

Edit to add..

Affinity V2 Licensing​

If you have bought an Affinity app, you will have bought a perpetual licence to use that app. A perpetual licence means that you can use your Affinity app forever.

Last edited:
It is nice to see them growing, regardless of price Photo is the best (for me) software I have used and the easiest. And of course the price is very good.
I like the others, but after using CorelDraw for nearly 35 years, I still end up using that most of the time.

Will never go back to anything else unless they adopt the subscription nonsense :)

agree its excellent , I originally went with Affinity when I retired to save money but actually found for the things I mainly do affinity is actually better

I've just downloaded version two of "Affinity Photo iPad", but not had a chance to try it yet. Once I get my head around the new interface then I'm sure I'll get on with it just fine. I've been using version one for years now and it's always been my preferred app for pp on my iPad.

I
This is one of the things that bothers me ... don't want to learn it anew. :(

I had V1, and bought V2, and didn't even notice the interface has changed???

There are new features, and I like it, but generally it feels the same.

This is one of the things that bothers me ... don't want to learn it anew. :(

Had a quick look and mess about, nothing difficult about it as far as I can see.

Affinity Photo 2 (iPad)

I've given this software quite a bit of a work out now, and to be quite honest I've yet to find anything on it that is better than version 1.

I expect as time goes on I'll find a few improvements and features but not just yet. At the moment it just seems more awkward and fiddly to use, and it certainly runs slower that version 1 on both of my iPad pros, one of which is quite a recent unit.

Affinity Photo 2 (iPad)

I've given this software quite a bit of a work out now, and to be quite honest I've yet to find anything on it that is better than version 1.

I expect as time goes on I'll find a few improvements and features but not just yet. At the moment it just seems more awkward and fiddly to use, and it certainly runs slower that version 1 on both of my iPad pros, one of which is quite a recent unit.
That's what I wanted to hear, just confirms my decision to stay with V1.

I expect as time goes on I'll find a few improvements and features but not just yet.
I watched an advertising video, soon after it was released, on the MKII and TBH I saw very little difference the the MKI.
I thought it was just me. And certainly not worth the extra money.

Only thing I've found is it crashes a little less, but does still do it.
I wouldn't 'upgrade' to V2 if you have V1 and are happy.
I only got V2 as I wanted the other 2 apps so made sense, for me, to buy the app package on the last 50% offer.
Having just bought V2 of Publisher I can't go straight into Photo V1 to edit images. I'd need V2 to do that. Not a big deal for me so I'll not be getting the newer Photo, but for others it might be a consideration..

That's what I wanted to hear, just confirms my decision to stay with V1.

I watched an advertising video, soon after it was released, on the MKII and TBH I saw very little difference the the MKI.
I thought it was just me. And certainly not worth the extra money.

At the moment I've got it on a seven day try out, but I'll probably end up keeping it as at less than thirteen bucks its still one hell of a good bit of software and there'll probably be updates in the future that V1 won't be getting.

Only thing I've found is it crashes a little less, but does still do it.
Curiously I've never had that issue.
(there, that's gone and done it :D )

Nor have I :)

I am not using the app, using the normal install, don't know if that makes any difference.

Having just bought V2 of Publisher I can't go straight into Photo V1 to edit images. I'd need V2 to do that. Not a big deal for me so I'll not be getting the newer Photo, but for others it might be a consideration..
My bad I should have added that!
This is one of the reasons I got the complete package.

I shouldn't be allowed to add info here :p

Last edited:
:LOL:
V1 is good at keeping recovery files, but V2 seems to think opening the fresh file is a recovery :headbang::LOL: (Yes, I should save more often :D)

No idea why I crash software, probably trigger happy and work faster than my PC can think...

At the moment I've got it on a seven day try out, but I'll probably end up keeping it as at less than thirteen bucks its still one hell of a good bit of software and there'll probably be updates in the future that V1 won't be getting.

I've decided to keep V2 of Affinity Photo (iPad), I personally think it's too good a bit of software to let pass at that price and it will receive updates and possibly improvements for quite a bit longer than V1.

Affinity has been purchased by a design company called Canva , hopefully good news means that Affinity photo will have a larger budget to develop the program , hopefully they don’t move over to rental like Adobe and stay with their current setup where the user buys and owns the program

That was my first thought when I got the email.

yep I got the email this morning as well
Im a big fan of affinity especially the way they make an excellent editing program and make it affordable as well
as I mentioned on here before I’ve nothing against Adobe , I just found that for a couple of the things I do regularly for example focus stacking macro images Affinity was excellent and at the time better than photoshop

Unfortunately, it may be bad news, as Canva is already subscription.

But how will they handle the people who bought it already?

I also think it may be bad news for Affinity itself, as I get the impression that one of the main reason people use it is because it is not subscription.

Looks like it may be back to a combination of Gimp, RawTherapee and others !

The FAQs here answer some of these questions, but not completely. Updates to version 2 will be free, and we can use existing versions that we already own in perpetuity, but they don't say whether future versions will be subscription-only, nor whether they'll continue providing security and bug fixes for version 2.

The FAQs here answer some of these questions, but not completely. Updates to version 2 will be free, and we can use existing versions that we already own in perpetuity, but they don't say whether future versions will be subscription-only, nor whether they'll continue providing security and bug fixes for version 2.

I thought I read there was no intention to change to subscription?
Problem to me is no matter what they say now, what happens in a year or twos time will depend only on money :)

I wonder if the doubt will cause a slowing of sales?

I thought I read there was no intention to change to subscription?
Problem to me is no matter what they say now, what happens in a year or twos time will depend only on money :)

I wonder if the doubt will cause a slowing of sales?

Possibly. The way they've worded their answer to the (possibly self-penned) FAQ is this:

Canva’s business model is subscription, are there any plans to change how Affinity is sold?

There are no changes to our current pricing model planned at this time, with all our apps still available as a one-off purchase. Existing Affinity users will be able to continue to use your apps in perpetuity as they were originally purchased – with plenty of free updates to V2 still to look forward to!

They mention current apps only, not future ones. I see several possibilities for people wanting to buy Affinity Photo: Given how inexpensive it is compared to near-equivalent apps, you could buy it now and hope that version 2 continues to work and get fixes and be good enough for what you want. Or you could avoid it and go for something where the cost is between free and the current price of Affinity. Or you could just wait and see, though there's the small risk that they'll increase the price of version 2.

They could have just answered the FAQ with, "We're not changing anything yet".

EDIT
Here's a little more on the subject from Canva's point of view:

Last edited:
I really hope that they just leave affinity photo as a one off purchase and anyway if they went to subscription people may just think that they may as well go with Adobe if affinity goes pay monthly

does anyone know if the tool icons in Photo have been enlarged a bit, I tried the app ages ago and the tools were tiny and I could not find a way of making them bigger.

does anyone know if the tool icons in Photo have been enlarged a bit, I tried the app ages ago and the tools were tiny and I could not find a way of making them bigger.

They're pretty small on my iPad Mini and not a lot bigger on the iPad Air 5, so probably not. There has been a fair bit of discussion on this in the Affinity forums. For example:

That's a bit of a bummer as can be seen from the above link. After all this time you would think they would do something about it, surely cannot be that hard to implement.

Do we all buy version 2 now?
This does seem like it might be a good idea for those who can afford it, whether we use it just now or not. There will continue to be updates for a while at least, and if (or rather, when) they decide to take it to subscription, at least we'd have the latest version that could be used if V1 stops working for some reason (eg one of the endless MacOS updates that trash earlier things!).

After reading this blog (https://mwl.io/archives/23490, ostensibly about choosing a shop platform for your website), I'm wondering whether it would be better for long term use to transfer to Open Source alternatives sooner rather than later. In the post the author comes up with the thought "Betrayal is the Internet’s business model". it seems pretty true. Capture One abandoning its perpetual licence model. Affinity being bought by a subscription company. Plenty of other examples (Roku?). It's a worry.

I noticed last night that Affinity version 1 has disappeared from my MacBook Pro, must have happened when I updated to the new OS Sonama but not sure
I’ve still got the password for it so will try to download it later today
Im using version 2 but do want to keep the old version as I paid for it

I've been using Affinity since I got my Mac, and I've been thinking about getting it for my iPad as well. My first thought when I read the Canva news was that I should get it now while I still can.

Back