Affordable Macro Lens for Nikon

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Macro photography is not really my thing but I would like to give it a go. Besides, sometimes I just need to get that little bit closer than I can with the lenses I have.

What I'm looking for is a 1:1 macro lens that won't break the bank but still produces a good quality image. I guess I'm looking for a Sigma/Tamron/Tokina etc. Not necessarily a current model, I'll probably buy used anyway.

Any recommendations?

I have a Nikon D300 and a Nikon D80.

Thanks in advance. :help:

I guess it depends on your definition of "affordable" - you can get a Nikon 60mm f2.8D (the non afs one) for £280 on ebay, might be able to find one S/H for less?

Sigma 105 is good.

Or if your budget doesnt stretch that far - do you havea 50mm? If so you could get some extension tubes for it.

:plus1: I have the 105mm, love it.

Barney

Tamron 90mm? I dunno as i dont have one. But am looking to get one, But ive heard very good things about it. Around the same price as the Sigma too i belive.
Gav

I use a Sigma 75-300mm macro lens and get some nice imagesout of it. I think these are around £180 new so depending on your budget you should be able to get a good used one on fleeceBay for less than that.

These are a couple of images taken in Macro mode at 300mm

3781622544_a8f71a2deb.jpg

3780806537_0481a9d5d1.jpg

Sigma 105 is good.

Or if your budget doesnt stretch that far - do you havea 50mm? If so you could get some extension tubes for it.

I do have the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, I hadn't considered extention tubes, I'll have to look into that. I did try a reversing ring but gave up after the 1st attempt.

Thanks.(y)

I use a Tamron 90mm which I found 2nd hand after about 18 months of looking. I've also used a Sigma 105mm and it would be very hard to separate the images on quality grounds.

if youre going to shoot bugs i'd start with a longer focal length such as the Tamron 90mm or the sigma 105mm because they will get a bigger working distance.

I guess it depends on your definition of "affordable" - you can get a Nikon 60mm f2.8D (the non afs one) for £280 on ebay, might be able to find one S/H for less?

Like this one: eBay ID 140365853801

At 200 quid it's just about in budget. What do you guys think? :thinking:

Short list so far:

Nikon 60mm f/2.8D
Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro
Tamron 90mm
Sigma 105mm
Extension tubes and use my 50mm f/1.8

Back