Chris's 52 of 2011 - Weeks 11 to 15 added

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Ready and raring to go.

Given I had to abandon the 2010 52 I'm really looking forward to the 2011 52 so I can get some practice in Photoshopping and develop my general photography skills further.

Last edited:
Right here's week 1 - Accommodation, and not as originally planned. I was getting all sorts of ideas involved night-lit hotels or bird-boxes, but sitting in the lounge was the perfect shot - little Caramel getting a bit confused as to what her pot of hay was for and using it as a nest.

So here's my Accommodation shot (I can hear the ahhh's already!)

5321432850_def296eaf6_o_d.jpg

Very cute...great shot - you have really captured eye contact.

Lovely shot of a very confused caramel (y)

Hiya Chris,

Good start to the 52, and yes ahhhh little Caramel is very cute, although looking a bit confused by everything :)

I like the colours you have captured. Think that the image would benefit from a bit of a straighten so that the bars at the back are vertical. The white fur is a bit blown, but then I always find it difficult to get the whites right myself.

I would perhaps crop out the green bowl and give the image a bit of a sharpen.

Sorry if all that sounds negative, that is not my intension. I think you have interpreted the theme well and taken a good shot.

Good luck with the rest of your Photo52.

Cheers

Dawn :)

Thanks for all the comments on Week 1 Accommodation!

Right, here’s my Week 2 New. It took me a while to think of what I could use for this, but then it clicked that the answer was staring me in the face – literally – while I was on the forum. Our "New" PC which we only bought a few weeks ago when the old one went pop!

I had a few goes at this one from several angles and with lighting modes, and after a bit of photo-shopping I settled on this one for the week 2 photo:-

5342471749_3500163207_z_d.jpg

But here are some of the other out-takes. Comments welcome on all…

5342471341_dd5fffea92_d.jpg

5343080886_db6838bc78_d.jpg

5342471967_1324f8903b_d.jpg

5342470903_2e3fae00d4_d.jpg

5343081682_79e87043db_d.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Chris,

I like your new computer setup. The first image is great, sharp and nice DOF. Out of the others I like the 2nd image for its golden colour, great lighting.

Well done and look forward to your photo for the next theme.

Cheers

I agree with Dawn, I like both the first and second equally. Nice detail.

Thanks all! I wondered how long it would take for someone to notice the clothes horse :bonk: The things you don't notice until you've uploaded the photos :wacky: that's why the final two pics didn't make the final cut...

First and third for me - I like the colour and composition of these two.

Thanks all! I wondered how long it would take for someone to notice the clothes horse :bonk: The things you don't notice until you've uploaded the photos :wacky: that's why the final two pics didn't make the final cut...
Hahahaha - but at least it's not as bad of a slip as the infamous "eBay kettle"... :eek:

Love the guinea pig shot though. (y)

Nice clear shot and good take on the theme. The one you've put first is also my favorite. Good lighting - has a sci-fi feel to it.

Right - week 3 Style.

To be honest I struggled a little with this one as I didn't want to do the same as everyone else and post pictures of shoes and clothes, so instead I have a photo that could easily have fitted in the New theme last week too.

This week I have been practising a "New" "Style" of model-making - working with electronics. As a few of you know I am working on a model railway to keep me occupied while I'm signed off work, and I was gifted a soldering iron at Christmas, so I have been learning how to use it and wired up some floodlights on my layout.

Hopefully this will qualify for Week 3 - Style. If not it'll have to be a photo of my wife's tops!

5370241181_066baa1c2e_z_d.jpg

Some great photos there.
The first one from week 2 is the the best of the bunch for me. If I was to do something different though I would've removed the side panel and taken some photos of the circuitry inside. With a macro lens and maybe some LED lighting, you can get some great close ups (only worth doing if you're confident enough to poke about inside a PC though).

Last edited:
image 2 for week 2 works the best for me, love the angles and composition..
really like week 3, and although it isn't really the best image in the world (sorry, don't mean to sound rude) compositionally, it makes it very impressive when you actually find out it's a model! (y)

Some great photos there.
The first one from week 2 is the the best of the bunch for me. If I was to do something different though I would've removed the side panel and taken some photos of the circuitry inside. With a macro lens and maybe some LED lighting, you can get some great close ups (only worth doing if you're confident enough to poke about inside a PC though).

A good suggestion but can't really do that for a couple of years as it would invalidate the warranty!

Hi Chris,

At first I couldn't see from the photo what the connection was with style, but then when I read the story with it I can see where you were coming from.

The image is a tad dar, but otherwise I think it is good and I like the light bursts.

Good luck with the rest of your project.

Cheers

Nice one Chris ;) good shot (y) I like the model railway must have taken a while to put this together...nice lighting :)

Right, I know it's late but bear with me. Being housebound from another relapse from my M.E over the last few weeks it was good to finally get back out in the "Open" again this week, so I took a short drive down to the Wensum Valley at Ringland Bridge to see if the river had flooded yet. It's not quite there yet but it is running quite high now, and one of the two resident swans made a typically graceful appearance.

So here is Week 4 - Open.

5418197902_69dda1515d_b_d.jpg

I also decided to try a B/W version but think overall I prefer the colour. What are your thoughts?

5417592143_e70ffffea1_b_d.jpg

Week 5 "Hard" will be done today as I know what I intend to take for this.

Hiya Chris,

Sorry to hear you have not been feeling well, I hope you are now feeling much better. Getting out in the OPEN and fresh air is always a good healer, so good for you for going out.

I like the colours in your first image, especially the way the sun lights up the far embankment. I would have cropped part of the bottom of the image, especially to remove the grass on the far left. It's a pity about the phone pole and cables, but not much you can do about those though unless you can clone them out.

The colour image definitely works best, as there is a lot of detail lost in the b&w.

Well done though and I look forward to seeing your week 5 pic.

Take care

Cheers

Hi Dawn
Thank you for your kind comments and best wishes. I'm not doing too bad at the moment although it is pretty much taking a day at a time.

I've had a read of your suggestions and applied them to the image. I also took the opportunity to clone out the highly visible cyclist on the bridge. I have to agree it looks a lot better now than the original. This certainly highlights one of the main reasons I joined up here, to get expert opinions such as yours to take for future reference.

Here's the revised image:-

5421933974_00fb18b167_b_d.jpg

Last edited:
Hiya Chris,

Wow you have done a good job there and now have a stunning image and one you should be proud of.

I am far from expert, but thanks for the compliments. I too am still learning each day and draw something from each image that I see posted by others doing the 52 and 365s.

Keep up the good work, I look forward to seeing your progress.

Take care

Cheers

Week 5 - Hard

The first words that popped into my head when I saw Week 5 Hard was "Hard As Nails", so my Hard photo is based on this theme. For this I thought I'd have a play at the lighting effects on PS and after a few goes I settled for this simple shot.

5424976082_884734f3f9_d.jpg

Hiya Chris,

Well done on a great take on the theme for Hard and I like how you have composed this image too.

Good use of colours, just not sure about the very bright light at contact of hammer head to nail, but can see what you were trying to create. If you don't mind I'd like to copy this image to have a bit of a play with it, I will then send it to you in a PM.

Like the reflective circles around the image that add character and colour, also love the vignette around the image.

Looking forward to seeing your image for week 6.

Cheers

Right - Week 6 Clutter.

You want clutter? Well I can supply any amount of it, as my wife will testify!

Mind you the announcement of Week 6 came just 2 days after I had a bit of a sort out!

But anyway, here's my materials drawer for my model hobby:-

5427980478_4c22a1c23f_z_d.jpg

Last edited:
Back