Affording to become a wedding photographer...!

I am not saying anything right or wrong either.. just didnt understand how it was different for the bride and groom.. it all seemed to be aimed at the photographer being different shooting film and him/her doing somehting diffrent.. i wanted to know what was different for the B&G :)
Dont just think it's only photographers who can see the difference, just because the B&G may not be photographers doesnt mean they cant see/feel the difference, that and please excuse me if this appears rude is condescending to assume only photographers can see it. In truth maybe some photographers wont see the difference either, especially if they are blind old farts like me. Nailed it - it's my rose tinted glasses when looking at film/slides. :)

Last edited:
Dont just think it's only photographers who can see the difference, just because the B&G may not be photographers doesnt mean they cant see/feel the difference, that and please excuse me if this appears rude is condescending to assume only photographers can see it. In truth maybe some photographers wont see the difference either, especially if they are blind old farts like me. Nailed it - it's my rose tinted glasses when looking at film/slides. :)

eeerm until 5 minutes ago i didnt know anyone could see a difference.. you may want to re read the thread..

eeerm until 5 minutes ago i didnt know anyone could see a difference.. you may want to re read the thread..

I said in my first reply to you that an image taken on film looks different to a digital image and that may be what the B & G want but you chose to ignore that part of my post even though you quoted it in a reply?

The OP hasn’t posted to this thread for a month, and hasn’t been back to the site since just after.

I think he’d been put off asking advice well before some of the daft postings of today. Maybe that’s a blessing :p

To get it all right in camera is a tall order with no editing at all ! Or a rip off

Its not a tall order at all. Its something professionals do all day long. Or at least get it very close, so only the most basic of processing is needed.

Let look at the reality of something like a wedding. You shoot 500 photos and if you haven't got things perfect and every shot takes you just 1 minute of extra editing /. processing then that is 8 hours and 20 minutes extra work. Or a whole long solid day.

Does that make good business sense not hone your skills? and shoot wily nily in automatic models, getting thing wrong.
If by using a cheap camera it doesn't quite get things perfect, like colours,

Its not a tall order at all. Its something professionals do all day long. Or at least get it very close, so only the most basic of processing is needed.

Let look at the reality of something like a wedding. You shoot 500 photos and if you haven't got things perfect and every shot takes you just 1 minute of extra editing /. processing then that is 8 hours and 20 minutes extra work. Or a whole long solid day.

Does that make good business sense not hone your skills? and shoot wily nily in automatic models, getting thing wrong.
If by using a cheap camera it doesn't quite get things perfect, like colours,
The other way of putting this is that my recycle bin is full of in focus and well exposed images, if an image is going to take more than 2 mins in post and it’s not a ‘hero’ shot, it’s in the bin. I don’t have time to mess with hundreds of average images.

‘Professional’ is about what we deliver, not what we capture, but the capture has to be close to ‘right’; I’m not cropping / straightening / fixing 500 images for delivery. Nor am I pointing a camera randomly at moments then spoiling what’s in front of me with nasty on camera flash like some.

An efficient Lightroom workflow means total PP time counted in hrs not days, album design should never be more than a couple of hrs. It takes longer at first, but that’s the same with any job whilst we’re learning.

I just hope that people have the common sense to check people’s websites so they can measure who to listen to ;) my ‘cheap’ cameras seem to be doing a pretty good job compared to some other people’s ‘professional’ ones ;) and often using ‘auto’ modes too, maybe it’s because I know how to use the bloody camera.

I just hope that people have the common sense to check people’s websites so they can measure who to listen to ;) my ‘cheap’ cameras seem to be doing a pretty good job compared to some other people’s ‘professional’ ones ;) and often using ‘auto’ modes too, maybe it’s because I know how to use the bloody camera.

So are you saying your camera takes great photos? Sorry couldn't resist!

So are you saying your camera takes great photos? Sorry couldn't resist!
Well you’d have a point; But only if you completely missed...

The other way of putting this is that my recycle bin is full of in focus and well exposed images, .

I wonder what people would think if they saw my recycel bin... some perfect shots binned....photogrpahing 90 minutes of football i might get one player doing something then an hr later get a perfect shot of him doing the same thing... same wiht boxing or cricket... I try not to post samey shots so they go in the bin.....also if i cant crop a pic to my aspect ratio without having the composure i want then its binned...

The OP hasn’t posted to this thread for a month, and hasn’t been back to the site since just after.

I think he’d been put off asking advice well before some of the daft postings of today. Maybe that’s a blessing :p

Hey folks, I'm deployed in Afghanistan at the moment so access is sporadic. Finally caught up on all the replies and all I can is...well that escalated quickly! Haha.

Some really, really constructive feedback, both positive and negative, and all of which I have taken on board. Everything in life is a learning process, and you may not be surprised to learn that I following some of the earlier advice received, I have broached the subject with my sister-in-law and, for a number of reasons, have declined to shoot the wedding. It is a real shame as it would have been a great portfolio builder for me, but having watched her become something of a Bridezilla recently, I can foresee significant issues.

I am going to go to an organised portfolio/confidence builder & networker organised by an established wedding photographer upon my return to the UK. Yes it means upfront costs for me with no return, but it seems a sensible, safe and less pressured way of developing both experience and shots to show off to prospective clients in the future. I kinda have a 2 year game plan to get my business off the ground, so we shall see. The Op bonus for being out here will definitely help with setup costs, and I have decided to purchase either the Canon 5d Mark 2 or the Nikon D750, after much deliberating and reading of reviews.

In the meantime, I have just taken delivery of a Nikon D7200 as a new work camera for CSI purposes, going to have plenty of fun messing around with that!

Back