Afga Isolette I - Fuji ACROS 100

Name
Henry
Edit My Images
Yes
My first ever roll of medium format film with one of the most basic cameras i've ever used, an Agfa Isolette I from the 50's.

My focusing was extremely hit and miss, where it hit the image was impressively sharp considering the lens is three chunks of glass in a tube.

I particularly like the accidental double exposure where i forgot to advance the film.

Here are a few examples.

7679292894_e397e0df24_c.jpg
[/url] Untitled by henry beevers, on Flickr[/IMG]

7679283512_8d1fcbd6d7_c.jpg
[/url]
Untitled by henry beevers, on Flickr[/IMG]

And the camera itself
7121748915_e334d6a2df_c.jpg
[/url] Untitled by henry beevers, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:
Well, those are definitely sharp, like them very much.

Andy

Excellent work, no 2 has an excellent feel to it and the double exposures are always a nice surprise, I've been using old folders for years and still get double exposures every now and again.

Blimey I chucked one of those Isolettes 1's out a few months ago. It was perfect working order and condition, went all over the place with my dad and family in the 50's and 60's whilst in the forces. Took nice sharp pics but I couldn't see the point in the end as you just have to guess focus, no rangefinder, double exposures were too easy, manual cocked shutter. Good to play with like you are doing now and introduced me to photography as a kid.

Blimey I chucked one of those Isolettes 1's out a few months ago. It was perfect working order and condition, went all over the place with my dad and family in the 50's and 60's whilst in the forces. Took nice sharp pics but I couldn't see the point in the end as you just have to guess focus, no rangefinder, double exposures were too easy, manual cocked shutter. Good to play with like you are doing now and introduced me to photography as a kid.

As in you binned it? surely not? I'm sure there'd be someone happy to pay postage on it to take it off your hands hell, I would've just for a second one!

Nice, I really like the Across 100.... That second image was always going to be a difficult one to get with the bright light from the front and the dark buildings, much easier on a DSLR with bracketing. Love the contrast in the brickwork and the white lines etc.

Nice, I really like the Across 100.... That second image was always going to be a difficult one to get with the bright light from the front and the dark buildings, much easier on a DSLR with bracketing. Love the contrast in the brickwork and the white lines etc.

I think the exposure was ok. I followed Sunny 16 and worked down from there as most shots were at f/11 (there's this little red dot on the aperture ring at f/11 so i assumed some all knowing technician was hinting at something). What I was amazed with in the 2nd image was the lack of flare! For such an old lens i was expecting a washed out, blown out image but it came out pretty well.

Oooooh, I've just bought one of these from ebay but don't actually have any idea how to use it! :help:

.....well it seemed like a good idea at the time.....

Heather

Just stick to the sunny 16 rule and zone focusing. Hard to get exact focus on anything close to you so start out with things about 4+ m away

Thanks Henry.

I have in my fridge Neopan Acros 100, Fomapan 100, Ilford FP4 125, Ilford Pan F plus 50 and Neopan 400. Any suggestions which to use?

Heather

BlackCloud said:

Such a shame, especially considering how many people would appreciate one!

tumblr_m83derF0131rci80ho1_1280.jpg

Another image from the first roll. And on my blog thing: http://photonpixel.tumblr.com/

Just noticed you've got some ASA 50 film Heather! that might be better than the fuji ACROS, especially if you're shooting from a tripod. The fuji might be more forgiving with exposure though, i'm not sure. basically just take your time to really think about exposure and focus with the first roll then once you've got it back (to check for light leaks) start 'hunting' for decent light in the evening etc.

Oh and take it with you everywhere for a few days! mine came in it's original leather case so i just carried it round and snapped shots where the light was nice.

Thanks Henry.

I have in my fridge Neopan Acros 100, Fomapan 100, Ilford FP4 125, Ilford Pan F plus 50 and Neopan 400. Any suggestions which to use?

Heather

As said above, I'd stick to the slower speed films... remember, when these cameras were being made, 100iso film was considered pretty fast film, so with 400 and you're going to be on f16 or tighter pretty much all the time outside (unless it's a typical summer day this year of course...)

Back