Afghan - More Helicopters

Arkady

Suspended / Banned
Name
Rob
Edit My Images
No
And yes, I only just noticed the really obvious dust-spots...it's dusty here: OK?

It'll be taken care of after I beat the sensors with another batch of swabs...

Kamov Ka-27

11x2009HERRICK110110187E.jpg

11x2009HERRICK110110202E.jpg

Mi-8

11x2009HERRICK110110223E.jpg

USMC CH-53D

11x2009HERRICK110110336M.jpg

11x2009HERRICK110110415E.jpg

Last edited:
Brilliant, but I personally like to see a bit more rotor blur on helicopters and getting the rotors in the shot. The 2nd shot is great.

its going to be difficult to get rotor blur on choppers though, especially if they are coming in to land as the rotors will hardly be moving :)

Really annoyed me at sunderland Airshow with the Merlins!

its going to be difficult to get rotor blur on choppers though, especially if they are coming in to land as the rotors will hardly be moving :)

Really annoyed me at sunderland Airshow with the Merlins!

not quite sure what you mean by that ??

anyway , the first one scared the bejesus out of me till i realised it was a contrarotator :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

been trying for more rotor blur, but with light levels like here, it's f/16 @ 1000sec at midday and not much less at sunset...I think I was down to 250th-300th sec with the CH-53s...

And that's at -1.0 (100iso equivalent)...

been trying for more rotor blur, but with light levels like here, it's f/16 @ 1000sec at midday and not much less at sunset...I think I was down to 250th-300th sec with the CH-53s...

blistering eyeball syndrome :eek:

Top shots 'stripey', the last one is jawdroppingly good, gotta love those CH-53D's.

Dust! Excuses, excuses.... At least you have fantastic light to work with.

That last one is amazing. No, they're all great but the last one is exceptional.

Didn't like the third one, though. It reminds me of a bad experience I once had...........

That last one is epic, made by the fantastic light and I really like the shadow too! :clap:

Probably stating the obvious to you, but how about screwing on some ND filters? However I doubt you have time to think about putting those on if you had them! :nuts:

That explains it :) I still like number 2 !

can't be helped I'm afraid...

Why is that then ??? setting a shutter speed of 1/160
really cannot understand what your problem is to be honest - none of these shots is taken in the Artic with white snow scenes, looks like a blue sky day and all the images have the exif removed with clearly the wrong shutter speed being used
my 2p

really cannot understand what your problem is to be honest - none of these shots is taken in the Artic with white snow scenes, looks like a blue sky day and all the images have the exif removed with clearly the wrong shutter speed being used
my 2p

erm its really really bright in the desert

@ viper heli blades turn at a constant speed but change angle of attack (pitch) to alter the amount of lift they produce makes them more efficient and easier to balance rotors against each other ;)

very very nice shots arkady, doesn't the d3 do an iso 50 equivalent I know a 5d does (L1 or somat)

Oh and love the Kamov pic 2 - it tells a story... Remarkably tidy looking bird that Kamov too!

I'm intrigued by the antenna array down the dorsal of the Mi-8 too... ops, inter-ops, countermeasures at a guess.

-Rob

-Rob

my 2p

mmm...yes, clearly the wrong shutter speed - what was I thinking? Tell you what, Butt, why don't you hop on a plane, come out and show me how it's done...no really...I'm all ears...
In case you didn't know, deserts are exactly like shooting in the arctic - only with MORE sunlight!
I know because I've worked in both places...

I dream of being able to set shutter-speeds of 160th here at noon...maybe if I had a lens that would stop down to f55 I would...lol :wacky:

We don't have any 77mm ND filters - in fact I'm having a hard enough time getting spare 77mm UV filters sent out...the ones I have are pitted and scratched from doing jobs like this where dust and debris is flung at you hard enough to draw blood.

The 2nd to last one of the two american helicopters is the winner for me Rob. Would you like some el cheapo 77m NDs from eBay sending out with the next parcel Rob? Not going to be Hoya quality but cheap enough for you to throw away without worrying.

KevM: yes please, but don't break the bank on my account...
I found a 77mm C-Pol filter which I rinsed off and used for a Blackhawk which came in at 15.00 today - managed to get down to 160th @ f/16...so do-able - would like a little less DoF though...

It seems the lowest I can get from elcheapo filters is an ND2 which is about 6 stops I think. I that going to be too much?

It seems the lowest I can get from elcheapo filters is an ND2 which is about 6 stops I think. I that going to be too much?

No that'll be great - I can get back down to about f/4 with that...many thanks...

I'll get them ordered this afternoon so by the time they get to me and back out to you it will probably be a couple of weeks.

Back