AFMA question re extenders

George

Chasseur Haggis extraordinaire
Edit My Images
Yes
I know that the latest Canon cameras "remember" the MFA settings with different lenses and also they remember if an extender has been used, and it's corresponding MFA setting, however if you have say 2 1.4 extenders, does it remember which one has been set up on a particular lens...ie will it give the same settings on both extenders or will it recognise which one is on and use the appropriate settings?....(on a 1Dx).

I suspect the latter, however I'd appreciate someone trying this and posting..or perhaps it's somewhere in the literature and I've missed it!

Thanks,

George.

Pre 1DX the body could not tell the difference, not sure about the IDX. Do you still have the files from our test at H/beath?

Pre 1DX the body could not tell the difference, not sure about the IDX. Do you still have the files from our test at H/beath?

No, Jim, sadly not. Are your extenders mk2 or mk 3?

Thanks.

MkIII

Well if no one comes up with a definitive answer, could we meet and do another check please?
We are away till next Mon, perhaps later in the week?

Cheers, George.

ps are you going to the Calumet do on the 8th June in Edi?

George.

Exchanged pms, any other input appreciated!!

The 1Dx will use different values for a MkII v MkIII converter but I don't have two of each version to try....sorry.

Bob

Can the 1DX tell the difference between batteries?

The 1Dx will use different values for a MkII v MkIII converter but I don't have two of each version to try....sorry.

Bob

Thanks, anyway, Bob, will get the chance at least at the Calumet with Jim, will post.

George.

If you have two batteries can the 1DX tell which one is which?

If you have two batteries can the 1DX tell which one is which?

Well, it reads the info in the battery, and, yes, it knows the difference.
However, unlike say the 7D with a pack, it doesn't give me battery number etc.
Not sure if that answers your question?

1DX recognises lens serial numbers. I'd be amazed if this isn't in the handbook, probably around p106 ;)

1DX recognises lens serial numbers. I'd be amazed if this isn't in the handbook, probably around p106 ;)

Yes, I know that Hoppy, but what I'm not sure about is whether it recognises extender numbers as well!..although I suspect it does.
As I said in the original post, that's the issue as I may at some time want to get a second 1.4x as the af performance doesn't seem to be degraded much, certainly it isn't with the 70-200 mk3.

Page 107 does say there could be exceptions as well!!

Last edited:
Yes, I know that Hoppy, but what I'm not sure about is whether it recognises extender numbers as well!..although I suspect it does.
As I said in the original post, that's the issue as I may at some time want to get a second 1.4x as the af performance doesn't seem to be degraded much, certainly it isn't with the 70-200 mk3.

Page 107 does say there could be exceptions as well!!

LOL ;)

I can't think that it would not recognise extender serial nos - that's probably the one thing most photographers are likely to have a couple of.

LOL ;)

I can't think that it would not recognise extender serial nos - that's probably the one thing most photographers are likely to have a couple of.

Well, Richard, if I don't have a definitive answer by a week on Sat, I'll get it then at the Calumet show when I meet Jim (Admirable).

I'll be surprised if it doesn't work, however, just wondered if anyone knew for sure.

OK, the answer as we suspected was that the 1 Dx does indeed remember extender numbers and combinations just as it does lenses.
Excellent.

Back