Africa Photography

Name
Nic
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey!

I am heading to Africa to the mountains and then to Safari! I am not very good with photography but want to start trying, so will need a a camera for the wildlife and also capture a full moon and normal shots on mountains.

I have heard bridge cameras are a good idea to start with, as my budget is really around £500ish

Some people have mentioned the FZ2000, FZ82 and FZ330. I know there are lots out there but anyone got recommendations? I don't need a huge zoom but dont want to lose out on quality on normal shots as well?

Thanks
Nic

Hi and welcome to TP

Firstly what a wonderful trip you have planned !

I am so out of touch with bridge cameras to hopefully other TP members more in the know will chime in for you.

What I would say is make sure to take enough memory cards and batteries. In regard to the batteries, make sure to recharge them wherever you get the opportunity and indeed enquire of the lodges and camp sites whether they have suitable mains(?) power for charging devices. Oh! Don't forget mains adaptor(s) as appropriate.

Above all else, enjoy the experience:)

Welcome to TP Nic. That should be a fascinating trip.

I know of the FZ2000 etc by reputation, and it's reported to be good.

I've just returned from Tanzania on safari (post coming soon!).

The biggest thing for me was actually the LACK of zoom you need at times! Your experience may differ, but my wife was actually getting some great snaps with just an iPhone. I was using a full frame camera and found the 70-200 to be pretty much perfect.

A bridge camera would be a great idea. Make sure you ask your guide to shut the engine off whenever possible as the vibrations will soften your shots. If possible, ask them if they have a bean bag you can borrow. It makes a real difference for resting the camera on when taking shots with plenty of zoom.

Have an amazing time! Safari's are simply magical.

Hey!

I am heading to Africa to the mountains and then to Safari! I am not very good with photography but want to start trying, so will need a a camera for the wildlife and also capture a full moon and normal shots on mountains.

I have heard bridge cameras are a good idea to start with, as my budget is really around £500ish

Some people have mentioned the FZ2000, FZ82 and FZ330. I know there are lots out there but anyone got recommendations? I don't need a huge zoom but dont want to lose out on quality on normal shots as well?

Thanks
Nic
Bridge cameras on the whole aren’t really any better than a good smart phone except for being able to zoom more.

However the FZ2000 is a step above due to the larger 1” type sensors. In the same category the Sony RX10 series are generally better as the lens is sharper, however the mark iii is over your budget. If you don’t mind a shorter reach then the RX10 II used would be in budget.

The compact Sony and Panasonic equivalents (Sony RX100 and Panasonic RZ100/200) are essentially the same as the RX10 and FZ2000 just in a more compact body and less physical controls.

You could always go from something like a used Nikon D3500 with 18-55mm and 70-300mm which should fine you even better IQ.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your replies!
Just a big decision don’t want to get away from the normal quality in search for a huge zoom.

Also looked at a Sony a6000 used and maybe a 200 lens but not sure what lens would be decent?

Thanks for all your replies!
Just a big decision don’t want to get away from the normal quality in search for a huge zoom.

Also looked at a Sony a6000 used and maybe a 200 lens but not sure what lens would be decent?
You are only allowed 1 account, which one do you want to keep?

Sorry! Didn’t realise I had another one, was on my phone will keep this one.

Just popped into a shop and think its going to be between the FZ2000 and the RX10 II
Also saw a G3X which was good!

Just stuck between these now!

Last edited:
Just popped into a shop and think its going to be between the FZ2000 and the GX10 II
Also saw a G3X which was good!

Just stuck between these now!
What’s the GX10?

Hi!
So I’ve decided it’s between the

A6400
XT-30
Z50
X-S10

All with a smaller lens and a 55-210ish!

Any thoughts?

Don't know if these people have any suggestions, they are probably the best in the business, and also have a lot of tutorials on youtube

Back