Africa Trip equipment list

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
Looks like I might be going...no, i AM going to africa. More than likely it will be late June so I have some time to get new gear and get ready. Part of the deal with me staying there for nothing is that I get some pictures and maybe do a film of the camp they are setting up.

Now as it stands I have pretty basic gear of which i'll list here.
Canon 400D
Sigma 17-70mm
Canon 70-300mm IS
Sigma 530 super DG flash
Battery Grip
Two Batteries
2gb + 1gb CF card
055xproB Tripod with 804RC2 head
Lowepro Slingshot 200

Canon XL1 mini DV camera + mics
Small JVC mini DV camera
Big ass Film tripod (too heavy to take)
Big lowepro camera bag/holdall

No I know that I am going to have to take things I need, and really cut down on stuff but I really do want to treat the photography work i'll do out there as an assignment because I want to give them the best possible pictures.
This means that I'm going to need something to defuse the light, and also my tripod is heavy and a bit bulky.
Lenses are also on my mind, ive only really had the 70-300 IS lens since December and I'm unsure I would want to get something else...
Batteries I need, more cards too..

basically, if you were going to Africa for a month and needed to do some assignment type photographs as well as wildlife. What would be on your list?
Im worried about electricity and what it is like to charge batteries and so on. They must have something as I got an email from them.

I also have now until I leave to make money, I'm selling an old car plus I have some other money coming in. I'll also get some labour work while I wait as well as freelance jobs I get now and then so money I should have. Maybe around £2000.

I am spending about 5 weeks in Botswana next summer (my partner is from there). My kit list is probably going to be:

40D
17-85 IS kit lens
70-200 f2.8
300mm L IS (maybe 400mm L? undecided at the moment)
1.4 x tc
2 x tc (? - unsure at the min)
wide angle - not sure about depends on cash.
nd grads, full nd's and circular polariser along with UV filters for each lens to help combat the dust a bit (easier to clean!)
3 + batteries (no grip)
~ 20 GB CF cards, maybe more.
Portable hard drive (eg 250gb WD passport type - they are pretty cheap now - keep as a back up to laptop and keep in safe place - maybe with my passport!)
laptop
point and shoot camera.

Monopod for safari (used a cheap jessops on in the past, going to upgrade it though)
tripod for other stuff (190 XProb with 486 RC2)

Don't have a flash, and don't really use the in built one.

cleaning stuff!

I haven't been since I switched to digital, but in the past I have shot about 15 rolls of film, and around 400 shots on my point and shoot in just over 2 weeks, so I haven't a clue how many I would take now!!:LOL:

Not knowing exactly where your going, it may be worth while throwing a bean bag in which can be filled with rice when you get there.

Even if there is no electricity you can charge batteries using a converter from a car battery (my in laws have an adaptor which they attach to a regular car battery bit like a set of jump leads - charges phones up great!) or they may have a generator set up, alternatively get an adapter which you plug into a cigarette lighter and takes a regular 3 pin plug from over here.

Hope that helps!

Best of luck with it all, I am sure you will have a great time.

I would say

- a back up body at least. All the gear is not much use if the body breaks/best to have 2 identical bodies so you can share batteries/parts if needed :)

- I would say more batteries - the solutions presented mean that electricity is limited - you cant run the car engine all the time :)

- maybe also a 2x extender - 600mm may be good as you won't get close to everything :)

- plenty of zip lock bags to keep items in - lots of dust can be an issue.

- rubbing alcohol for cleaning contacts etc

- duct tape (you always need this)

- some long books - a great time to go through some classics - seriously - you will have a lot of "alone time"

- head torch that straps on your head - useful for reading/cleaing gear in the night - LED ones now are good and light

Good idea with the charging, I didnt think of that.
Might have to get a TC too, will it go on my canon 70-300mm and would it be worth it?

Unless you're extremely unlucky, save the moola for a second body and invest in a decent tele prime like a 300mm, plus a telecoverter, you'll be surprised how close you can get to some of the wildlife with a guide. You're shooting big games/mammals, not British birds! Also pretty essential is a bean bag on jeep safari - travel empty and fill up when you get there. For that long a stretch, you'll need either alot more cards or a portable storage that you can download to.

300mm primes are not cheap, but i'll have a look around.

I'd be very worried about not being able to change my length though.

300mm primes are not cheap, but i'll have a look around.

I'd think your best bet is a 100-400mm F/4.5-5.6 L IS I don't imagine you'll be short of light, if you know exactly how long you're going renting may be an option.

... Part of the deal with me staying there for nothing is that I get some pictures and maybe do a film of the camp they are setting up.
I don't want to put a dampener on anything, but it might be worth clarifying right before you go (if you haven't already).

I might imagine that safari pictures are amongst the less common subjects on sites like Alamy and you'll have some good opportunities, so you might make a bob or two. It might be worth clarifying that copies you give to them are only for their own advertisements, and not for padding out double-page spreads in magazine articles in which they're only briefly mentioned.

Stroller.

A bean bag is a good idea. Ask Dean from camerabeanbags to supply you want empty and fill it with lentils or rice when you get there.

I think you'll do ok with a 300mm. I normally run 500 on a full frame body on safari - which is a similar angle of view. Longer lenses are nice but are heavy and expensive. If you are taking DV gear too, you'll need to travel light! Get a couple more memory cards as they are cheap. The most I've shot in a single day is 10Gb so you need to be prepared.

Where are you going in Tanzania?

Most safari camps (if that is what they are running) run generators during the day when guests are out so they can charge batteries. Backing up cards is probably one of the bigger issues to face.

Back