African Tribal Portraits

Name
James
Edit My Images
No
Well, I am finally back from Tanzania and thought I would share a few of my favourite shots (that I have processed so far) with you all.

It really was an amazing journey, and living with the tribes out in the middle of the remote bush was just beyond words :love:

I really cant wait to get back there and stay with all the new friends I have made.

To be honest, the ones that really got me were the children... the most emotive and thought provoking children I have ever met in my life.

Anyhow, enough of my waffle, here are some photos (more can be viewed on my website www.jamesoliverstone.co.uk)

Enjoy :D

1. The Beauty of the Maasai
The-beauty-of-the-maasai.jpg

2. A Childs Pride
A-Childs-Pride-I.jpg

3. Maasai Archery
Maasai-archery.jpg

4. Watching from Afar
Watching-from-afar.jpg

The-Land-of-the-Maasai.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmm, I would suggest clicking to resize them to fullsize as they lose a hell of a lot of detail in the resize...

Right, I have been working on these and the website all day, so its time to go to bed at last ;)

Last edited:
Some really nice portraits there, personally I'd have loved to see more of a story after obviously spending some time with these people, but if that's not what you do then fair enough. All good shots in their own right.

If I were you I'd take a second look at some of the processing. A few a pretty cool WB wise, and have that 'gritty' look that's all the rage these days - personally I think that takes away from the subjects as people, and makes them look more like things you thought would look cool in a photo. There's some very obvious haloing in a lot of them (and a nasty dust bunny next to the bloke's head in #5).

I think these are better shots than that and don't need the funky processing. (y)

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to reply, there is plenty of story believe me, we just haven't got to writing it down yet. I think I shall check my screen cal as nothing seems to obvious to me, apart from 5 which I think is an error on my part in lightroom, I shall fix tomorrow morning. It's been a long day and I can't see the woods for the trees right now ;)

As for the processing... It's what I like and it's a style that works for me, but I can see why some don't like it.

A lot to choose from here James, i particularly like 6 the detail is great, are you processing these in Lightroom ? i can never seem to get my shots processed like this, can i ask what methods you use, thanks Tel :)

Lovely series of shots (y)

If I had to pick a couple, they'd be #1 for its' simplicity and #3 for being so naturally part of their livelihood (I would think).

I'm curious, if you don't mind me asking; were you there on vacation and stopped by a village or on a prescheduled trip (business / documentary etc.) where the villagers were expecting to be photographed? I ask as I'm doing a bit of reading & research into going more often to Africa.

<snip>, are you processing these in Lightroom ? i can never seem to get my shots processed like this, can i ask what methods you use, thanks Tel :)

:plus1:

Thanks for sharing these :)

James, these are all stunning, mate. The richness and detail really captures the grit of the people. The lighting in #1 blows me away.

My sister spent a year in Tanzania and fell in love with the people - well, apart from the young Masai men who thought they were gangsters. ;)

very powerful indeed. 1, 3, 4, and 11 are crackers. could easily be in national geographic or something like that, but they are all wonderful and i like the desaturated tones - it really suits the subject matter well.

A lot to choose from here James, i particularly like 6 the detail is great, are you processing these in Lightroom ? i can never seem to get my shots processed like this, can i ask what methods you use, thanks Tel :)

Its a mixture of lightroom and photoshop.

I bring the RAW into lightroom and tweak the exposure as needed. Then it goes into photoshop where I use multiple layers of sharpening, unsharpen masks, high pass, guasian (sp) blur and blending modes to create the gritty feel.

Then its back into lightroom to do curves adjustments, de-saturate, boost the contrast, vibrance and clarity a little, add a vignette and done.

Its not for everyone thats for sure, but I absolutely love it and its just how I wanted to display these photos. I am sure there is a better way of achieving the results, and if I ever discover it I will tell :)

I might have to look into some really advanced photoshop and re-touching courses to improve my post skills a little further.

Lovely series of shots (y)

If I had to pick a couple, they'd be #1 for its' simplicity and #3 for being so naturally part of their livelihood (I would think).

I'm curious, if you don't mind me asking; were you there on vacation and stopped by a village or on a prescheduled trip (business / documentary etc.) where the villagers were expecting to be photographed? I ask as I'm doing a bit of reading & research into going more often to Africa.

Thanks for sharing these :)

Thank you :)

This trip had been planned for around 18 months, and was a cultural study into the roots of music in ancient cultures. I travelled with my father who is a musician and singer who is also a transpersonal psychotherapist and nardi yoga teacher. Our interest was (and still is) to find tribes that still use the oral traditions within their culture and use music as part of their daily life, teaching and healing.

We would never have been able to meet these people, let alone film and photograph them if it wasnt for our guide who we met through the trust, who is a Lutheran pastor who these remote tribes trust. We also had 2 other guides with us as well, to translate swahili into the local tribal dialects.

I organised the trip with my father alongside the Livingstone Tanzania Trust as I am also helping to build schools for the tribes too, as part of their government law is that all tribal children must be educated.

Its a long story, with a lot more to it, and we are in the process of gathering all the material (photos, video and audio) and turning it into a full documentary piece.

Fab series of shots, (y) #8 my fav if I had to pick one

Very evocative shots. Love the PP - just right for me.

James, these are all stunning, mate. The richness and detail really captures the grit of the people. The lighting in #1 blows me away.

Fabulous set of images. Lots of power and say so much. Thanks for sharing these.

Fantastic set James - I love nr 2, it reminds me of National Geographic quality. Looks like an amazing trip.

Too many to crit but very impressive imo and I like the processing - must have been an amazing experience.

very powerful indeed. 1, 3, 4, and 11 are crackers. could easily be in national geographic or something like that, but they are all wonderful and i like the desaturated tones - it really suits the subject matter well.

Thank you all so much, I am extremely proud of myself for not only managing to put myself so far out of my comfort zone, but also to capture these photos... for me it is a real achievement and I am glad you like them.

Hi

A very good set. I'm left wondering why the woman in number one is carrying keys.

Graham

Funnily enough, I thought they were just for jewellery but it turns out that one of the hut in the bush that is probalby a good 20km away from the nearest other Boma had a padlock on the door! Must be some theiving Zebras around ;)

Last edited:
My sister spent a year in Tanzania and fell in love with the people - well, apart from the young Masai men who thought they were gangsters. ;)

ha! :LOL:

The Maasai that we saw in the towns like Arusha certainly had been seeing to many gangster rap videos on telly thats for sure...

It is amazing to see how the culture changes so very quickly as soon as you drive from the big towns, to the small community towns, to the villages and then into the bush... You really are experiencing an entire race of people at completley different stages of cultural, social and industrial evolution.

Its like having 600 years of a European country all in one place!

Very nice, did you go to Zanzibar?

Bta Amateur photographer had an amazing portrait in africa section a few weeks back!! Have a look it was fab

James, a truly stunning set of images. :)
For me 1, 2 4, 8 and 13 really stand out. In # 1 I can smell the dust in the air and #3 I can just feel the tension in the bow!
Very well done.:)

Fantastic shots buddy!(y) I think #7 is my favourite.

Glad you enjoyed yourself and it all went well.

PS I'm going to email you a few more shots to critique when you get 2 minutes in your hectic schedule, if that's OK ;)

Lovely set, James, although I'm with the other James when it comes to the processing, I really don't think it suits the subject matter.

The natural assumption, given the location and the dress of the people in the pictures is that this is a warm and sunny place, yet the desaturation has robbed many of the images of their impact and many of the images (notably 2,3 and 12) don't look, to my eye at least, "right" as the skies are pale and everything looks "cold".

I realise that this is a style of processing that you've chosen to apply and you're obviously happy with it, I just feel personally that you've done your, otherwise excellent, work a disservice by doing so and I'd be keen to see the images with a more traditional finish to them.

Another vote in favour of the processing but I figure these would work well with most PP-approaches as the subjects are so well captured. #1 is particularly stunning and #2 and #7 are close behind. #1 might look even better in B&W (or at least monchrome/sepia toned).

Wow James each and every shot is so powerful,I really could not choose a favourite,Love them all.

-Gulp-
I think Number 1 and Number 3 (the archer) are mega.
I'd like to see a less shivery background on Number 12, the elders, cos that's awesome too.

Lovely set, James, although I'm with the other James when it comes to the processing, I really don't think it suits the subject matter.

The natural assumption, given the location and the dress of the people in the pictures is that this is a warm and sunny place, yet the desaturation has robbed many of the images of their impact and many of the images (notably 2,3 and 12) don't look, to my eye at least, "right" as the skies are pale and everything looks "cold".

I realise that this is a style of processing that you've chosen to apply and you're obviously happy with it, I just feel personally that you've done your, otherwise excellent, work a disservice by doing so and I'd be keen to see the images with a more traditional finish to them.

I'd agree with FITP. The images don't remind me of the Kenya I saw many years ago. The natural warmth seems to be missing. I'd prefer to see the images in a more natural balance.

Number 5 is my favourite.:)

Fantastic shots buddy!(y) I think #7 is my favourite.

Glad you enjoyed yourself and it all went well.

PS I'm going to email you a few more shots to critique when you get 2 minutes in your hectic schedule, if that's OK ;)

you could always post them on the forum, let lots of people see them? :shrug:

FANTASTIC set!! can't really fault any of them!! love the Masaai archer in traditional clothing (assuming) with a denim baseball cap on!! guess it shows how westernisation has gradually infested it's way into native culture...

well done, would like to see more

i think 3 and 5 are great.

with #2 i really found myself being captured by the childs stare - its very powerful.

-Gulp-
I think Number 1 and Number 3 (the archer) are mega.
I'd like to see a less shivery background on Number 12, the elders, cos that's awesome too.

I'd agree with FITP. The images don't remind me of the Kenya I saw many years ago. The natural warmth seems to be missing. I'd prefer to see the images in a more natural balance.

Number 5 is my favourite.:)

Hmmm... I think I am going to re-calibrate my screens again as I have checked, double checked and triple checked them and I cant see them being too cold... they look just right to me (this of course is a subjective opinion).

Things like this make me want to finally ditch all my PC gear and get that 27" imac screen that I have been slobbering over

Thanks for all the kind comments, this had definatly been my best work to date and I am still churning my way through more and more photos as I type this :)

Back