After a ne Tamron 70-200. Is it still possible to negotiate

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Being in a position to finally buy a Sigma 70-200 F2.8, (a big thank you to HMRC :) ) I now find myself in a bit of a dilemma, I have recently read a few reviews about the performance of the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 VC and am unsure of which one to get. Only problem is the Tamron is a little over my budget. I wondered if anyone has experience of haggling with shops?

I know Panamoz have it stupidly cheap and although I have used them before I am reluctant to buy a third party lens, given the reports of differing lens performance between copies. I would rather try the lens first and also be able to take it back if I do have an issue.

Some shops can, some shops can't! Only way to tell is to ask in the shop you use most and have the best relationship with.

I shall await your review, however I am finding it difficult to justify the £1100 on the Tamron when for 300 more I could get the beast that is the Canon L. As I said I don't think id be comfortable buying a third party lens from overseas, for the reasons Ive given. There would also be a little irony, using money received from HMRC to buy a lens from Hong Kong :)

I shall await your review, however I am finding it difficult to justify the £1100 on the Tamron when for 300 more I could get the beast that is the Canon L. As I said I don't think id be comfortable buying a third party lens from overseas, for the reasons Ive given. There would also be a little irony, using money received from HMRC to buy a lens from Hong Kong :)

That's your choice but I got mine for £650 with a 14-day money back guarantee and the panamoz warranty (not sure if tamron will honor their 6 year warranty on greys).

You know... they all come from the same factory right??

Either way, I'll post some shots when it's in my hands :)

That's your choice but I got mine for £650 with a 14-day money back guarantee and the panamoz warranty (not sure if tamron will honor their 6 year warranty on greys).

They won't even honour the normal 12 month warranty on greys, the warranty Panamoz give will be their own.

On the plus side at the price they are selling it at if it went wrong two or three times while you had it (and Panamoz disappeared for some reason) then you would still probably be in pocket after paying out for repair.

Last edited:
... however I am finding it difficult to justify the £1100 on the Tamron when for 300 more I could get the beast that is the Canon L. ...
Non grey imported Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS II is around £1800 mark, which is far more than £300 in simple math. In any case Canon is at least more than +50% up to triple the price of Tamron, which means hundreds of £ difference. It is the better lens but with not a big margin looking on all the info around. Is that huge cost difference worth? Probably yes if you are a pro and you make for a living by photography. In any other case I don't think so but everyone on his own.

Non grey imported Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS II is around £1800 mark, which is far more than £300 in simple math. In any case Canon is at least more than +50% up to triple the price of Tamron, which means hundreds of £ difference. It is the better lens but with not a big margin looking on all the info around. Is that huge cost difference worth? Probably yes if you are a pro and you make for a living by photography. In any other case I don't think so but everyone on his own.

I could get a good second hand one for circa £1400. As I said I don't want to buy from overseas, mainly because although I know they come from the same factory, there can be huge variances between lenses. I usually, take my camera with me when I get a new lens. Try a couple of lenses and choose the best. Worst case if I do buy a poor example, there is a real person I can take it back to. Not to mention the longer warranty terms.

From what I've read and seen on YouTube, the only thing that the canon and nikon have over the tamron is slightly less vignetting...

The mtf shows tamron sharper than both of them on DXO and CA is allegedly non existent.

I have no basis for comparison but looking at all the unbiased reviews, they are all as good as each other...

I could get a good second hand one for circa £1400.
Simply it is not fare to compare new to second hand. Brand new Tamron will have 5 years proper genuine warranty and as you said you will be able to test in the shop. IQ would be similar anyway so why to pay £300 more for second hand, unknown condition Canon breed instead (I hope you're not one of these brand snobs)?

I think the official UK price tag of Tamron is well deserved and I had considered it even for that cost.

You are already considering Tamron since you've created this topic. Just go to the nearest shop and try it. The chances to get on with it and understand its price level is very high, I can tell you :)

Simply it is not fare to compare new to second hand. Brand new Tamron will have 5 years proper genuine warranty and as you said you will be able to test in the shop. IQ would be similar anyway so why to pay £300 more for second hand, unknown condition Canon breed instead (I hope you're not one of these brand snobs)? I think the official UK price tag of Tamron is well deserved and I had considered it even for that cost. You are already considering Tamron since you've created this topic. Just go to the nearest shop and try it. The chances to get on with it and understand its price level is very high, I can tell you :)

Not at all, the only canon lens I have if the 50mm f1.8. Other than that they are all Sigma. As you said I am already considering the Tamron, however the thread wasn't intended as a which one is best, it was is it still possible to haggle with shops, because I would be wanting them to bring the price more in line with the Sigma.

Chris,

Lens arrived today. It is a fantastic bit of kit - absolutely brilliant purchase for £650. Everything I expected.

Will post a mini review and some shots in the general photo sharing section in the next couple of days - will post a link when done.

Chris, Lens arrived today. It is a fantastic bit of kit - absolutely brilliant purchase for £650. Everything I expected. Will post a mini review and some shots in the general photo sharing section in the next couple of days - will post a link when done.

Thanks Phil,

I'm in Norwich working tomorrow, (which happens to be across the road from Wex Photographic) I might not be able to contain myself (y) especially if they do me any form of deal. There are too many reviews saying Tamron over Sigma for me to still get the Sigma! The question is how to hide it from SWMBO! With the sigma she would think it was my 150-500 :)

Back