After Some Pro Critique.

Name
Lewis
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok, I feel after a good year and a half into on and off photography I seem to be hitting a good track of success just recently.

Obviously this is just my opinion and to grow as a photographer and form my own style I need to get some feedback on my
images from a forum like this rather than just the happy-clappy stuff over on flickr.

If you guys could spare a minute or two and give me some critique on my more recent photos, it would be massively
appreciated!

Thanks, Lewis.

4599115683_24a219ca80.jpg

De La Warr Pavillion, Bexhill. Taken two weeks ago.

4604312596_1b5b64c05c.jpg

De La Warr Pavillion, Bexhill.

4621691667_e0dc90ec7c.jpg

Sovereign Harbour, Eastbourne. Taken a week ago.

4631985259_e6e48879b7.jpg

Sovereign Harbour, Eastbourne.

4612317647_35cd7f87d3.jpg

De La Warr Staircase, an iconic subject to shoot. I tried! Ha.

That's all for now, hopefully you guys if you wanted to could check out the sets on my flickr entitled, theHarbour and De La Warr.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
good composition and eye, to me (and this crappy old monitor that I'm using while my main one is being fixed) the yellow stuff is way too yellow, but toned down a bit and it could work. (then again... I very very very rarely use anything but full colour, so not the best judge here.)

The sea one is perfectly ok and is well exposed etc, but it has no photographic focus as such - there is no 'meaning' to the photograph as such. Also the little bit of land left hand side should probably be either more prominent or not there at all.

1st one I'm not sure is 100% straight. check the vertical on the round thing.

Last edited:
Right you asked for critique...

1) The left hand side middle just feels a bit cluttered. Its not a bad shot per se but I feel it's not a good contrast with the clean lines and good lead your presenting.

2) Is a massively moody sky but I feel I want more of the building. Maybe a bit lower at least.

3) Not sure about the vignette, nor the contrasty processing. There's just not a lot to interest me. The slight piece of land on the horizon left is tad distracting and looks like it might be an oversight.

4) The main problem with this is the sand is overexposed. It's also very grainy - not sure if that was your intention but I can't see the EXIF. The processing is also showing a few dust bunnies in the sky.

5) Now this has real potential. Would like to see this in B&W mono and perhaps the chairs / tables outside are a little distracting.

Hope this helps

Mark F

good composition and eye, to me (and this crappy old monitor that I'm using while my main one is being fixed) the yellow stuff is way too yellow, but toned down a bit and it could work. (then again... I very very very rarely use anything but full colour, so not the best judge here.)

The sea one is perfectly ok and is well exposed etc, but it has no photographic focus as such - there is no 'meaning' to the photograph as such. Also the little bit of land left hand side should probably be either more prominent or not there at all.

1st one I'm not sure is 100% straight. check the vertical on the round thing.

Hey man, thanks for the extensive feedback! I think your comment on the sepia tone photos is true but perhaps like you say it may be the monitor as to me, the colour isn't as horrendously over powering as you suggested.

I guess it would be a good to introduce another photo of mine that takes place roughly the same place the subject-less image but instead has more of a focus on a main focal point. Or does it, let me know please!

4606894352_94e5076447.jpg

Sovereign Harbour, Eastbourne.

Last edited:
Right you asked for critique...

1) The left hand side middle just feels a bit cluttered. Its not a bad shot per se but I feel it's not a good contrast with the clean lines and good lead your presenting.

2) Is a massively moody sky but I feel I want more of the building. Maybe a bit lower at least.

3) Not sure about the vignette, nor the contrasty processing. There's just not a lot to interest me. The slight piece of land on the horizon left is tad distracting and looks like it might be an oversight.

4) The main problem with this is the sand is overexposed. It's also very grainy - not sure if that was your intention but I can't see the EXIF. The processing is also showing a few dust bunnies in the sky.

5) Now this has real potential. Would like to see this in B&W mono and perhaps the chairs / tables outside are a little distracting.

Hope this helps

Mark F

Brilliant these criticisms are great and all of which I totally agree with!

Brilliant these criticisms are great and all of which I totally agree with!

Sorry if I seemed harsh. I'm glad you took the crit in the manner it was intended. :clap:

I've had a mooch around your Flickr site. There is some good stuff there. And the images above show a lot of potential. It's just time to take it to the next level!

Keep at it!

I can see a very distinct personal style developing here.

:agree: You know - I meant to comment (but forgot) about a definite style myself :)

The above crit notwithstanding, I like these a lot. The amount of vignetting and tinting is subjective, but it works well for me. I can see a very distinct personal style developing here.

Thanks, that's awesome! As Freester said, it's all about taking it to the next level now. I hope to continue developing whilst keeping you guys updated.

Thanks to all.

They all work for me! I love post processing. If you like it then job done!

Back