Aftermarket LP-E6 for canon

Edit My Images
Yes
I'm looking for some additional batteries for a 70D and having searched old threads the opinion seems to be slightly divided as to what the best options are for aftermarket batteries.

Some say 7dayshop, some say Duracel, some say DSTE from Amazon, some say Haehnel - but whichever anyone says they've had success with, there's always someone else saying they're having a bad time with them (not holding a charge, not being recognised in the charger, not being recognised in the camera etc.)

Genuine Canon are a fortune and I rather spend my budget on other items I need. I'm also nervous about buying 'genuine' batteries from eBay as loads are fakes.

The Duracel are only 1400 mAh whereas these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/LP-E6N-Rec...&qid=1482164339&sr=8-4&keywords=canon+battery are a whopping 2600mAh - but what can £13.99 a pair really be like - again, Amazon reviews are mixed where some people think they're crap and others love them.

Why can't it be simple?

What's the general consensus these days about aftermarket LP-E6's?

Don't be fooled my mAh ratings. Just because a seller advertises a battery as 2600mAh doesn't mean that's what The battery can actually supply. Most cheap batteries overstate their capacity to get you to buy them.

I'm in the laptop battery business and we often see laptop batteries advertised on the likes of eBay and Amazon with wildly over rated capacity ratings. Trust me it's just a trick to get you to buy their crap and most don't even come close to the advertised ratings.

Remember as well that cheap batteries are cheap for a reason. They are packed with cheap Chinese cells and sub standard protection circuitry. Not only do they not perform as advertised, they can be potentially lethal.

I can't vouch for anything other than Duracell. I have two canon bodies and two OEM batteries. I also have 6 Duracell batteries and they last just as long as the OEMs do. They also charge properly on the OEM charger.

Last edited:
Don't be fooled my mAh ratings. Just because a seller advertises a battery as 2600mAh doesn't mean that's what The battery can actually supply. Most cheap batteries overstate their capacity to get you to buy them.

Right, good advice, thanks!

I can't vouch for anything other than Duracell. I have two canon bodies and two OEM batteries. I also have 6 Duracell batteries and they last just as long as the OEMs do. They also charge properly on the OEM charger.

I'd like to think that with a well established brand like Duracel that they should be up to standard. It was the 1400mAh value that was putting me of.

I've used the orange Haehnal in a 70D and 6D with great success. The cameras recognise them with no problem as does the charger. They last a good time with the only peculiarities being that they show a higher charge remaining after you switch off and on again so the time left should be taken with some sort of pinch of salt and when they die it's immediate, with no warning. This sounds worse than it is, you just need to be ready, of course if this is critical for you then don't go there. They last for about 850 - 900 shots.

I've used Duracell in other Canons with great success as well but check their website as there used to be a warning, I think about the E6, that says cameras, or chargers, made after a certain date won't read them. You don't get that warning on Amazon if I remember right.

Last edited:
I keep to well known 3rd party brands mainly Duracell and Haehnal and avoid buying from the likes of eBay. Never had a problem touch wood.

For my Fuji and Nikon I have used the ex-pro ones from Amazon and both have worked well.

I've got a Chilipower 1850mah LP-E6 in my 7D right now, was remarkably cheap and has performed flawlessly.

Like Kev I use ex-pro in my Fuji and Nikon cameras and have had no problems at all, I buy mine from EXprodirect a British company based in Stockton on Tees and have always had very good service from them.

I've used Duracell in other Canons with great success as well but check their website as there used to be a warning, I think about the E6, that says cameras, or chargers, made after a certain date won't read them. You don't get that warning on Amazon if I remember right.

I wouldn't have known about that, thanks!

I've got a Chilipower 1850mah LP-E6 in my 7D right now, was remarkably cheap and has performed flawlessly.

Do you think that it's worthwhile getting a dedicated charger for some of these aftermarket brands?

I was reading that some batteries don't charge properly in the Canon one.

I had a look on the Duracell site and can't see the warning anymore so it's possible they overcame it. If they work they're good and reliable, a fraction less juice than than Canon but not much and very much cheaper. A lot of people swear by other 3rd party batteries but I've never fancied the risk. It took me a long time before I hought the Haehnel but I have two now.

Buy one genuine battery and forget all the worrying, two fully charged should easily see you through a day or two

Do you think that it's worthwhile getting a dedicated charger for some of these aftermarket brands?

I was reading that some batteries don't charge properly in the Canon one.

The Chilipower one charges exactly the same as my genuine Canon ones do in the Canon charger, can't speak for any others.

I bought one from 7dayshop some years back for my 7D, it's been great. Recently got one from Amazon (can't recall the brand) and it was a shocker! Terrible battery life, wouldn't hold the charge.

I use 7day shop ones in my 7d mk 1 and 2 they are excellent as is the 7day shop twin charger
For my last trip I bought another 8 as I didnt have any mains power the batteries were excellent didn't let me down

I'll see how I get on with the two that I have. One is an genuine canon but it's on the red bar for battery cycles - so does this mean it's nearly out?

The other is a duracell, which I put in the camera last night fully charged, did a bit over the wifi installing picture styles and played around with the settings a little and this morning it said 49% - didn't take a picture or video either! This one has three green bars for battery cycle though.

Might try one of thew white ex-pros next.

I'll see how I get on with the two that I have. One is an genuine canon but it's on the red bar for battery cycles - so does this mean it's nearly out?

The other is a duracell, which I put in the camera last night fully charged, did a bit over the wifi installing picture styles and played around with the settings a little and this morning it said 49% - didn't take a picture or video either! This one has three green bars for battery cycle though.

Might try one of thew white ex-pros next.

I know on my Nikon D750 wifi eats the battery, both the genuine and the expro ones.

Right, good advice, thanks!

I'd like to think that with a well established brand like Duracel that they should be up to standard. It was the 1400mAh value that was putting me of.

You'd think so but I bought two Energiser LP-E6s expecting them to be better than most 3rd party batteries and they were useless, worse than the £10 eBay jobbies.

You'd think so but I bought two Energiser LP-E6s expecting them to be better than most 3rd party batteries and they were useless, worse than the £10 eBay jobbies.

.......and this is the full circle that got me questioning in the first place. Unless it's the real-deal Canon £55/£65 battery then there seems to be no guaranteed second place for third party batteries.

It's a bummer!

Even the apparently genuine Canon batteries sold on Amazon are deemed fakes by some. There are no guarantees.

Even the apparently genuine Canon batteries sold on Amazon are deemed fakes by some. There are no guarantees.
I presume these would be the ones fulfilled by Amazon or sold by a market place trader? The ones from Amazon should be genuine.

I think this is a lot of the problem. Big brand are susceptible to being counterfeit.
As I've said before I've bought 6 duracells and they are all great but I buy them from the official distributor at cost.

I'm sure there are plenty of counterfeit duracells along with canon and energiser which won't perform as expected.

If you want to buy Duracell then get them from Duracell Direct. They will be guaranteed genuine.

Not always. Amazon have been caught with their pants down a few times now selling counterfeit goods, although not knowingly.

Ouch, that's not good.

I've watched the video to show the difference between real & fake and to be honest, they look bloody close! If I were buying off the shelf I doubt I'd be able to tell the difference.

If you want to buy Duracell then get them from Duracell Direct. They will be guaranteed genuine.

I think you're probably right with this.

I've used 7dayshop batteries in my 300D,30D,50D,7DMk1,7DMk2 & 6D without any problems. I've probably saved enough money over the years to buy another lens :)

I've had a few aftermarket batteries, and currently I have one Canon OEM battery, one Calumet own brand and one other which says it's a 2500mAh. They all work fine in my 6D and in fact I don't even have a genuine charger. I use a Neewer USB charger (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ZHJ8TH0/) which means I can charge batteries wherever there is a USB socket, ie in the car, round a friends house, at work, from a laptop. It's rather handy and was a hell of a lot cheaper than the Canon charger.

I bought one from Amazon (DSTE) brand, it claims it is 2600mah. I only bought it as a spare (back up) for a trip to Lapland as I knew I wouldn't have access to a wall socket to recharge the original one, I didn't even use the original one as the aftermarket one coped superbly with -2 temperatures
And for 90% of my shots I had to use the flash as they only have 4h of day light in Finland. I would recommend the one I bought but can't speak for any others.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Talk Photography Forums mobile app

7dayshop have 5% off just now, not a massive amount but every little helps :)

Any idea what has happened to Chilipower batteries? Cannot find them on uk sites.

Interesting this should pop up again. I was away last week and had issues with my Calumet (1800mAh) branded battery. Even though it was supposedly charged, it wouldn't power the camera. It's just under a year old, so I might take it back to the shop.
My other non-brand battery (2500mAh) is fine even though it's about 4 years old.

Back