Afternoon haze, Paris

Edit My Images
No
Late afternoon haze, looking across towards la Tour Eiffel from Tour Montparnasse..

Thanks for the comments..

I like it but I don't like the horizon being in the centre.

I love the sky and the muted tones below are lovely. I would rather the horizon was way off centre. I like that La Tour is way off centre (y)

Which way? Lose some of the sky or lose some of the streetscape?

To chuck in another 2p's worth, the horizon works really well in the centre of the frame. Placing it there and then having the tower split it like that allows the tower to dominate the shot even though it's pretty small in the frame.

Also, having the composition quite right hand heavy and the diagonals running to the right as well is really appealing to me. Sometimes you have to hit a few dischords to create a harmony. :)

A bit of the streetscape I think.

Try both see what looks the best, I would say lose some sky.

lol.. that's me down to a square crop, but still with the horizon in the middle!

I like it the way it is.. but I can see where you're coming from. I did try cropping it both ways before uploading. Losing the streetscape I lost the strength of the lead-in line given by Avenue de Saxe, and losing the sky caused the stripe of white cloud to sit heavily and put an unwelcome visual block on the top edge of the cropped frame.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6238/6288292346_db0f8babb6.jpg[/img]

i took the liberty, hope you don't mind....this works for me

d in w

No problem Dave, but as per forum rules could this be made private on your Flickrstream? Or a link to the original placed in the comments.
Thats what I was meaning ^
James, and it has the effect I predicted.. the open lightness at the top of the image has been lost, as has the intense blue area of sky.

Another shot from Tour Montparnasse looking towards the sun.. no horizon on this one to cause problems with placement.. :LOL:

The horizon in the centre works perfectly, great shot. Only thing I would change is the border which I find distracting.

I really like the Op's first shot.

I think the composition with the Tower pointing into a massive sky is superb and maintaining plenty of the city underneath too.

Rule of 3rds?

Not always.

I like it but I don't like the horizon being in the centre.

always my first reaction...is it sky or land
land will win out on this
cheers
Geof

I really like the Op's first shot.

I think the composition with the Tower pointing into a massive sky is superb and maintaining plenty of the city underneath too.

Rule of 3rds?

Not always.

when then?:geek:

when then?:geek:

When you feel like using the rule, use it.

When you don't, don't.

Always use it on Tuesday mornings between 8am & 9am though.

Last edited:
When you feel like using the rule, use it.

When you don't, don't.

Always use it on Tuesday mornings between 8am & 9am though.

damn!.. could we do a swap for thursday next
:LOL:
(y)

double post...removed

Back