Agfa Speedex Record f/8.8

Name
Felix
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,
I have recently acquired a very beautiful Agfa Speedex Record which I believe was in production between 1933 and 1942. It is marked ‘T 3Q 0455’ which I assume is serial number. I was wondering whether anyone knows which year this corresponds to, and if anyone has any advice on shooting with the camera.
Thanks,
Felix

Don't know what year, or even if that is a serial number. It could be some sort of model or type code.

Before putting film through it, give it the once-over. Open the back, look through the lens, and check that the shutter speeds and apertures look convincing. Look for light leaks at the bellows (dark room, back open, peer inside while wiggling a torch around outside). Check that the little red window is present on the back, and a sliding cover if it's supposed to have one. Twiddle the film advance knob to make sure it feels okay - put a spool in the take-up position and press a finger on it while you turn the knob. There should be no slippage.

With cameras like this, it's good practice to always wind on to the next frame immediately after taking a shot. There's unlikely to be any interlock between the film advance and the shutter cocking mechanism, which makes it entirely possible to expose the same frame twice (or more), or to wind past an unused frame because you forgot you had already wound on earlier. It's probably also good practice to not cock the shutter until you're about to take a shot, to avoid accidental exposures.

You might want to give some thought to film speed, to be reasonably sure that the range of exposures it can do will suit the light you're shooting in. 100asa should be a good starting point if my quick google search is correct that it can do 1/100th at f/16.

For your first roll, unload in very dull light in case the winding tension is weak. If it is, the roll can end up wound loosely on the take-up spool, and there's a high chance that light will leak in when you unload, resulting in fogging at the edges (or worse). If it comes out rolled up nice and tight, you should be fine to unload subsequent rolls in the usual 'subdued' light.

What is the make of lens,as if f8.8 that may indicate an earlier production and could be pre 1930 and take 127 film.

Can you post some photographs.

Don't know what year, or even if that is a serial number. It could be some sort of model or type code.

Before putting film through it, give it the once-over. Open the back, look through the lens, and check that the shutter speeds and apertures look convincing. Look for light leaks at the bellows (dark room, back open, peer inside while wiggling a torch around outside). Check that the little red window is present on the back, and a sliding cover if it's supposed to have one. Twiddle the film advance knob to make sure it feels okay - put a spool in the take-up position and press a finger on it while you turn the knob. There should be no slippage.

With cameras like this, it's good practice to always wind on to the next frame immediately after taking a shot. There's unlikely to be any interlock between the film advance and the shutter cocking mechanism, which makes it entirely possible to expose the same frame twice (or more), or to wind past an unused frame because you forgot you had already wound on earlier. It's probably also good practice to not cock the shutter until you're about to take a shot, to avoid accidental exposures.

You might want to give some thought to film speed, to be reasonably sure that the range of exposures it can do will suit the light you're shooting in. 100asa should be a good starting point if my quick google search is correct that it can do 1/100th at f/16.

For your first roll, unload in very dull light in case the winding tension is weak. If it is, the roll can end up wound loosely on the take-up spool, and there's a high chance that light will leak in when you unload, resulting in fogging at the edges (or worse). If it comes out rolled up nice and tight, you should be fine to unload subsequent rolls in the usual 'subdued' light.

Hi,
Thank you very much for the extremely useful advice. There is a little bit of give on the film advance knob, but nothing too major. I also see a little bit of fungus to the edge of the lens, however I’m not sure that I could do much to clear it up.
The bellows are in fantastic condition, as is most of the rest of the camera, it’s needless to say that I am dry excited about using it!
Felix

Back