AGH! i need lens help! STILL!!

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
guys im so indecisive!

i want a longer lens for wildlife.

my best is a 80-200 AF-d ( which has to stay) and its not worth me putting a small 1.4x converter on because it will only give me a tiny bit of extra reach

ive been looking at the

sigma 50-500 for what seems like years!
sigma 120-400
sigma 150-500

but if im honest i havent seen them pruduce any photos that wow me.

now! ive stumbled across the sigma 100-300 f4!! and this seems a superb lens, but! not long enough for wildlife!

ok i could put a 1.4x converter on it? and risk reduced picture quality and speed
but then i think i might as well just buy a 120-400/150-500 ( with what im assuming will be the same quality as the 100-300 with converter) seeing as its a cheaper set-up- as its the longer length that im really after.

im really not keen on a long Prime lens as this will be too restrictive and i get stressed about which lens i need to take out with me as it is!

im using a d300 and budget is around £700! i dont mind buying 2nd hand

I have the 120 - 400 sigma and have no regrets in buying it. Ok I am still learning but I don't think the pictures are the bad. Jeff

I tried the 100-300 today and it was a very nice bit of kit, nice sharpness wide open, pretty light and balanced to use handheld too. But as you say it's not long enough for wildlife. Are there no 400mm prime options available to you?

Buy a decent hide instead, and feed the subjects in closer - then your 200 is fine!

Back