AHHHH NEED HELP WITH CANON 400D i fear its broke after 2day (crys)

Name
Ross
Edit My Images
Yes
ok first of iv only had the camera two days brand new from jessops. it was working fine untill this morning i turn it on and it wouldent take photos, everything was blury in thw view finder, its set to AF but still bury. i was pressing the button to take shoots nothing happend. then the flash would pop up and just flicker lots.

i turn it off took then turn it on and it was fine for the rest of the day.

but now its happen again, iv tryed turning it off and on again that hasent help.

is this a FAULT or am i doing something wrong. i just want to SCREAM!!!

What mode are you running this in (the rotary dial on the top of the camera)?

Where are you trying to take the photos? Inside / outside?

Did you change locations when it worked, and when it didn't?

In Auto Focus mode, if the lens isnt focused then it wont take an image, try it in manual focus mode, see what happens. May just be dirty contancts on the lens. As for the flash popping up, I've no idea, Possibly if its in Auto mode (green screen) and too dark the flash will pop up and the only thing that will make the flash flicker is if you press the DOFP button, that triggers modeling flash in some models.

Second thought, does this model fire a short burst of flash so it can focus, if the light levels are too low?

battery need charging?

battery is charge lol, iv tryed it in all modes, i always start it off in auto mode, then go to the settings im trying to use. its happend indoors and out doors, its kinda working now i think, altho iv got it in Av mode F11 i took the shot and it took AGES to do when it finaly came up it was all bury. i take it thats something to do with the shutter speed if so how do i change it?

Try taking the same shot with an aperture of 5.6 see what happens.

Should get a faster shutter speed, Was camera hand held or on tripod, if handheld, then shutter to slow and that could be reason for blurr

yeah just handheld at the moment, as im just trying to get it to work.
i had it in shutterspeed prioity this afternoon as i was taking photos of some sports. had it on 1/640 now im indoor at home just going through the setting and its only going up to 1/200 ( not that i need it higer or anything right now but cant understand why it wont go higher)

I've heard (so dont take it as gospel) that sync speed on 400D is up to 1/200th/sec, may be the reason it wont go past that, especialy is low light indoors.

You are right Trev..

If the flash is up it'll only go up to 200..

If you are in AV and indoors then even if the flash is DOWN if there isnt enough light the shutter speed wont be very high.. it'll be why your getting blurry shots imo.. too slow shutter speed..

Keep the Appeture as wide as poss and use it in plenty of light.. see what happends.. also the ISO should be higher in low light..

Thanks for that verification Fraggle. Thought it was a kind of strange sync speed when I heard it, thats why I was a bit apprehensive quoting it.

Possibly if its in Auto mode (green screen) and too dark the flash will pop up

Most likely explanation, flash pops up to aid auto focus.

always start it off in auto mode, then go to the settings im trying to use. its happend indoors and out doors,

It's been a dark day today. Flash may have popped up indoors and outdoors in auto (green square) mode. Are you changing the mode after getting your settings? Auto doesn't let you change many manual camera settings.

its kinda working now i think, altho iv got it in Av mode F11 i took the shot and it took AGES to do when it finaly came up it was all bury. i take it thats something to do with the shutter speed if so how do i change it?

Yep you've got a smallish aperture and so the shutter speed will be long. The length will depend on light and the ISO setting. You can make the aperture bigger by rotating the dial in front of the shutter button, this will decrease the shutter time, also upping the ISO. Check the meter readings in the view finder or on the screen. Do you have the manual?

What happens if you try it on the Sports or other 'creative zone' settings / modes?

hahaha i feel soooo silly now its actuly my own fault by the sounds of it lol. i keep forgeting to put the camera back in to P mode aswell when im done. sorry people i really though that it had broke, iv alot to learn.

What are these settings?? Green Square?? P mode??? :thinking:

They have no place on an SLR.. the sooner they get rid of them the better off we'll be.. Satans children the lot of em.. ;)

well like i say had it on the 1/640 shutter speed when i was out today. but yeah wont go past 200 indoors. i dident realise it would change on its own when coming from indoors to outdoors. thank you people.

so pleased for you that its not bust, you dont have to put in p (program) mode when your done, most probably the explanation is that the AF/ Manual mode slide on the lefthand side of the lens wasn't quite engaged and the blurriness was up because you were trying to focus to close ot it was to dark, the strobeing of the flash can be turned off in your camera settings

And whats AV and TV?
On a proper camera, its A for Aperture priority and S for Shutter priority. Logical really..... :naughty:

Allan

And whats AV and TV?
On a proper camera, its A for Aperture priority and S for Shutter priority. Logical really..... :naughty:

Allan

noooo
on a proper camera ApertureValue and TimeValue
none of this dumb-down rubbish! :nuts:

I thought P stood for Plate mode for someone who cant think for themselves and needed everything handed to them on one.:bang:

I thought P stood for Plate mode for someone who cant think for themselves and needed everything handed to them on one.:bang:

thats a good one but thats AUTO MODE!

Back