AI Gigapixel download fails.......but now WOW is more like it!

Edit My Images
No
I thought I would have to try this software..................................................................but oh boy it is a struggle to download it!!!!!!!

I had already downloaded the installer but that failed after nigh on an hour with a path error, causing the complete failure at 29%..........................ok thinks I, I will re-download the installer and running that seemed to suggest it was 'running differently' to the earlier one (nothing properties wise about them suggests they are different???)

Left it running overnight to wake and find another fail at 61%....................but this time offered it as a temporary problem and to "retry". This is running now and has now gotten to 63% and the component that is 791MB size wise is the same one that failed initially at the lower % though this with the more current installer was preceeded by three smaller packages!

I surmise their servers are busy but talk about sucking through a straw :( :)

Well it finally completed :)

Will have a go with some images over the next few days and hopefully come to grips with it and find it does not crawl too slowly on my PC :LOL:

Oddly enough I had no problem downloading it at all - in fact 3 times since the installer downloads a lot of little pieces and I put it on 2 machines.

The quickest way to use it is to crop an image then put it through the program otherwise you may end up with some horrendously big files.

I'd also recommend setting it to JPEGs first because the TIFF files (which they recommend) can be very big even when cropped and your photo editors may not be able to cope.

Oddly enough I had no problem downloading it at all - in fact 3 times since the installer downloads a lot of little pieces and I put it on 2 machines.

Ah! such is the nature of both download 'connections' and installers etc

The quickest way to use it is to crop an image then put it through the program otherwise you may end up with some horrendously big files.

I'd also recommend setting it to JPEGs first because the TIFF files (which they recommend) can be very big even when cropped and your photo editors may not be able to cope.

Good suggestion..........................I will find an older image that I have fully PP'ed as a JPEG that I used when having largish prints done and either use it whole or as you suggest perhaps take a crop of it and try that as I my first test :)

Well I've been using it for a few weeks now and have actually bought it!

Since I am a renowned tight-ar*e a program has to be REALLY good for me to pay for it.

BTW if you decide to buy it I got a 15% discount by using the code "Northlight" which i got off another website - as I say I am a tight-ar*e!:)

PS

On a side note I found a referer site where you can get a 15% discount off of Gigapixel here http://www.plugsandpixels.com/discounts.html not sure if you have to use the referer link for the code to work???

Oooops! I was late posting this as just refreshed to note you have bought it already :( though with another such code from elsewhere :)

Last edited:
Well, a quick test

1) took a crop of a picture of a red squirrel 'portrait' so has complex fine details
2) this was 1416 x 1416px and a 1.19MB file
3) chose Moderate for blur & noise and a 400% increase
4) using GPU it crashed......no surprise but thought I would try ;)
Re-run using CPU (a 4 core i5)
4) it took 4minutes to run it
5) got a 5664 x 5664px size as an 11.9MB file

I look at the original at 100% and compared it to the upsized one at 25% and the upsized version at 25% appears to show a tad more detail.....................not a surprise but infers that using the upsized one as appropriate to print at 300ppi should work great. Now I do have On1 RAW and this came with their resizer so will try that at the same increase and see how they compare???

OK update
Tried the same using On! Resize default settings i.e. no adjusted setting apart from the upsizing.

IMO there is no comparison ~ the AI Gigapixel 'honours' the original keeping control of the OOF background whereas the On1 Resize has introduced/poorly handled the not only the background (looks aweful!!) but there are artifacts (compared to AIG) within the detailed areas as well.

So this was just a quick test but so far looks impressive and though only a modest file I think that 4 mins to do it was less than I feared it might be :)

Last edited:
Well I've been singing its praises for over a month now - and bought it - simply because It does such an incredible job.

I am now able to take older photos taken on a 350D which I really wished I could enlarge up and now I can!

In addition it can also effectively transform my 70-300mm L lens into a 600mm lens or even a 1200mm lens with a 200% 0r 400% upscale - although it also means that focussing must be spot on otherwise the upscaling also upscales the OOF shots.

But as far as I'm concerned one of the best programs available.

I look at the original at 100% and compared it to the upsized one at 25% and the upsized version at 25% appears to show a tad more detail....................

In fact I found that the program is able to bring out small details in an image which are poorly defined - I upscaled an image of a bird where I slightly missed focus and found that in the upscaled version feathers which were not quite missing but not very apparent, had been emphasized just enough so that they could be sharpened etc:

And this image was very small but 400% upscaling made it usable:

Last edited:
You may find this interesting before you buy.
Russ.

Interesting but I can't say I've noticed any of the problems he finds - although Topaz did warn tat you could get some odd results if you overdo the "Reduce Noise and Blur" sliders - apart from that I've already bought it! :)

But I'll certainly do some tests to see the limits of it.

Mike Chaney's QImage is a well respected printing protocol software..........which he has singlehandedly expanded into a post processing capable software with printing in mind.

I respect what he has created but his review methodology of AI Gigapixel is to me a little odd as follows:-
It is not intended to handle vector art imagery
His choice of example image is possibly not a fair choice for comparing a math based Vs AI based system because his approach presupposes that the AI learning database has also used such composite images but has it........thus could it be that some of the oddities are due to AI mis reading where further learning development would overcome them.

Looking ahead......a math based system can be improved but is its future finite compared to an AI based upsizing method that can continue to learn including the driving code being improved & helping to produce improved outputs.

But for sure he (for now?) is right that any tool we use needs to be used carefully and may not always produce the desired results every time!

Back