Aiguille Du Midi

SFTPhotography

Ranger Smith
Suspended / Banned
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Going over some old images from here from last September. In six weeks I will be back.

Doing some subtle re-cropping and reprocessing to suit my tastes now and here are the latest renditions from what was a real highlight of the trip

_DSC2233 - Version 4 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

_DSC2232 (1) by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Really like the first one Steve.

Thanks - struggling a bit with the processing - the shadow areas look very blue - and as you increase contrast it get's worse - but then again snow picks up what is around, there was a lot of blue in the sky - a real alpine summers day.

One might increase the WB but then the rock turns unnaturally yellow and the rest of the image is off. I've done B&Ws prior but they didn't work for me. No doubt I will be back and I know the compositions I really want to focus on when I go and the various crops to make it work. Never have I struggled with a picture so much as this one.

Last edited:
Both look great as is... I'd leave as is and be happy! I often think you can worry too much and get bogged down in elemental detail... whole image looks fab... job done! Try to remember how it looked to your eye I guess and go for the closest match

The WB of both sunlit and shadow areas looks just right to me; high mountain shadows tend to distinct blue. Maybe the problem is that this is what it was actually like, but our eyes/brain tend to 'shift' colours to what we think they ought to look like - in this case mentally taking out the blue. Maybe the white of the snow is the key - any change in overall WB would alter it unacceptably.

You need photoshop for this sort of thing mate, not just lightroom ;)

You can then use levels as a powerful colour correction tool alongside the info palette with the colour dropper and putting in custom levels targets so you don't mess with contrast. Adjustments can be made in separate layers to colour correct shadows, mid tones and highlights. Of which the opacity can be tweaked, or the adjustments made selectively to only parts of the image. Along with being able to selectively remove colour casts by desaturating colours to only parts of the image you can really get it looking how you want.

Having said all that, you get away with it being a bit blue because we associate snow and mountains with the cold, and where the sunlight is hitting the snow you have a slight warm cast so there is a colour contrast which can be a nice thing, completely neutral can look odd too.

Compositionally very strong, nice and sharp images.

You need photoshop for this sort of thing mate, not just lightroom ;)

You can then use levels as a powerful colour correction tool alongside the info palette with the colour dropper and putting in custom levels targets so you don't mess with contrast. Adjustments can be made in separate layers to colour correct shadows, mid tones and highlights. Of which the opacity can be tweaked, or the adjustments made selectively to only parts of the image. Along with being able to selectively remove colour casts by desaturating colours to only parts of the image you can really get it looking how you want.

Having said all that, you get away with it being a bit blue because we associate snow and mountains with the cold, and where the sunlight is hitting the snow you have a slight warm cast so there is a colour contrast which can be a nice thing, completely neutral can look odd too.

Compositionally very strong, nice and sharp images.

Thanks. I don’t even use LR. Never got on with it - I still use Aperture 3 but when I swap back to PC I’ll use Capture One.

I’ve an old copy of PS so might fiddle around. I have these in B&W too and they look more dramatic in the B&W but the colour renditions were worth working one.

39 sleeps and I’m back :)

Back