Aiming my new 150-600 at the moon.

Very similar to what i,m getting from my sigma 150-500 are you staying up for the blood moon? nice shot (y)

The mood has secrets like everything feminine in French. Beautiful, mysterious, and difficult.

Either heavy fringing prior to conversion or poor masking in PP.
Black and white points improperly set… results in poor details and sharpness.

The mood has secrets like everything feminine in French. Beautiful, mysterious, and difficult.

Either heavy fringing prior to conversion or poor masking in PP.
Black and white points improperly set… results in poor details and sharpness.
or the op has not mastered pp yet

all starts from 1am onwards full/total eclipse is at 4am i believe hth mike

I don't often edit Astro, any tips to help me improve?? I might set an alarm tonight and have another go

Similar to what I'm getting. I've had a go with my 600 + 1.4 tc but not much joy with thin cloud cover. I won't be around for the next one and I'm certainly not waiting up until 0300.

I use Lightroom. Yeah pretty similar. You seem to have captured the craters on the left hand side a lot better. I was using my D7200 in 1.3x mode at 600mm so I wonder if I'd get a bit more detail back shooting normally at 600mm? I'd probably still end up cropping though...

Similar to what I'm getting. I've had a go with my 600 + 1.4 tc but not much joy with thin cloud cover. I won't be around for the next one and I'm certainly not waiting up until 0300.
starts around 1am dave you could manage that or have you got work tomorrow?

Is f16 too much then?
higher shutter speed is recommended because the moon moves very fast. so lower f stop faster shutter hth mike. don't be afaid to up your iso mine was at 1000 :eek:

Last edited:
These are incredible, I think everyone has done an amazing job on the moon tonight. Although I hate you, why? because I want that lens, dam you 300mm restriction lol.

Thanks Lorenzo, It is a nice lens. I upgraded from the 150-500 and I wouldn't look back now.

So... Got up at 3:30 for the blood moon... Nothing but fog Guess I'll have to catch it in 2033, unless it's cloudy...

Have you got the settings for the original shot so I can use this as basis for my shots later tonight?

It's a very good shot Paul. However, I'm finding both the above shots to be lacking some detail (especially dinorock's) and yours is a bit 'bright' in places.

I think you'd (both) benefit greatly from stepping down the apperture one or two stops if at all possible. Bear in mnd that a full-moon is much harder to shoot than a half-moon.

The sea of crisis is the lonely sea on it's own in the top right third of your the pictures. See if you can discern more than just the two main craters next time. This one was shot a couple of nights ago and the crop is significant:

12046639_1054728394546902_3803078686884113393_n.jpg

;)

These shots are fantastic, although I am more of a fan of a less than full moon, where you get to see the craters/ridges from the side

Back