Air/Sea Rescue at Bamburgh

Les McLean

In Memoriam
Name
Les
Edit My Images
Yes
RAF rescue of an injured person, taken yesterday at Bamburgh, all with 1Ds MKII and either 200mm F2.8 or 135 f2 lens

Larger image link under each.

1#
VK0I8080s.jpg

http://lesmclean.co.uk/air_sea_rescue/VK0I8080.jpg

2#
VK0I813b3s.jpg

http://lesmclean.co.uk/air_sea_rescue/VK0I813b3.jpg

3#
VK0I8099s.jpg

http://lesmclean.co.uk/air_sea_rescue/VK0I8099.jpg

4#
VK0I8120s.jpg

http://lesmclean.co.uk/air_sea_rescue/VK0I8120.jpg

5#
VK0I8083s.jpg

http://lesmclean.co.uk/air_sea_rescue/VK0I8083.jpg

6#
VK0I8139s.jpg

http://lesmclean.co.uk/air_sea_rescue/VK0I8139.jpg

7#
VK0I8137s.jpg

http://lesmclean.co.uk/air_sea_rescue/VK0I8137.jpg

Last edited:
those are sharp!

large of #6 is 800 pixels btw.

A case of "Right place, right time". Who did you get to be rescued ;);) Great set of images, telling a story of aircraft at work.

Really liking no 4 les . really adds some drama to the scene.

md(y)

They are all fantastic shots but #4 stands out for me as well (y)

Ditto, number 4 is a cracker. Great technique, timing and opportunity.

Scrolling down i thought whoe 3 a cracker but then number 4 blew me away great stuff.
Do you know if this was an exercise or legit rescue, either way trust the lifted individual was well.

Number 4 for me. Stunning backdrop for the event to unfold against.

S
Do you know if this was an exercise or legit rescue, either way trust the lifted individual was well.

It was a legit rescue, hopefully the lady who had the fall was not seriously hurt, she did not fall far, so perhaps a broken ankle/leg?

Very impressed with the skill of the pilots as the cliff side was steep, they made two passes before they managed to rescue the lady, going precariously close (as it seemed to me) to the sides of the cliff.

All belters - sure caught the action there.

#4 is very definitely a little special...more so considering it was a live rescue and not a photo-shoot.

Maybe the guys would appreciate a copy for their crew room wall?

202 Squadron A Flight at RAF Boulmer if I'm not mistaken.

Media & Communications Officer
Royal Air Force Boulmer
ALNWICK
Northumberland
NE66 3JF

Bob

EXCELLENT set of shots and well done for being in the right place at the right time.
As a Coastguard ( operations room ) , it is great to see photos like this that we do not normally get to see and like others have said , some of them shots would look great on the crew room wall, personally the one with the castle I would have printed on a coffee mug.:D

#4 is very definitely a little special...more so considering it was a live rescue and not a photo-shoot.

Royal Air Force Boulmer
ALNWICK
Northumberland
NE66 3JF

Bob

What a grand idea (y)(y), dropped the Media Officer (Anne Russel) an E-mail with a link to a gallery of the images on my web-site.

Really good shots mate, Its difficult getting that blur on a static (hovering) aircraft while keeping the body sharp you've done a sterling job.

I would have prefered to have seen all of the tail rotor though, in a few of the shots its chopped and I think that detracts from the images.

Royal Air Force Boulmer
ALNWICK
Northumberland
NE66 3JF

Bob

This is the response I got from the Media & Communication Officer (Anne Russell)-so thanks Bob for the gentle prompt ;)

Dear Les

Thank you so much for forwarding the photos to my personal e-mail. They are wonderful! Would you allow me to use one of the helicopter with Bamburgh castle in the background for our RAF Boulmer handbook? I am always trying to get good shots to advertise the station and the Search and Rescue Force, but I understand if there are copyright issues.

I have had a look at your gallery and am absolutely blown away with your images. I am especially drawn to the landscapes and I envy your exceptional talent. Is this your profession or is photography a hobby? (I have bought myself a Canon EOS 400D and hope one day to be able to take good photos)

Thanks again for taking the time to send your wonderful pictures - you are an inspiration.

Kind regards

Anne Russell

A nice letter and fantastic shots Les. Could make you famous this one :)

Nice reply from Ms Russell and well deserved compliments :)

This is the response I got from the Media & Communication Officer (Anne Russell)-so thanks Bob for the gentle prompt ;)

Nice one Les....I'd guess you can retain the copyright whilst still allowing them to use it for the stated purpose.

Bob

nice shots! was going to say sell #4 to the RAF, would make a bomb

drew

All very good photo's ,,,, but number 4 really does it for me.

As a HM Coastguard ( op's room,Dover ) it's great to see other taking photo's of our services at work . Also , we don't really get much in the of photo's sent in to us on how the job was performed.

WELL DONE.

nice shots! was going to say sell #4 to the RAF, would make a bomb

drew

Normally, I'm not averse to selling my images, but in this instance, I'm not comfortable in considering charging, I can't help thinking, it could easily have been me that they rescued.:eek:

Normally, I'm not averse to selling my images, but in this instance, I'm not comfortable in considering charging, I can't help thinking, it could easily have been me that they rescued.:eek:

My sentiments too Les. It's an ideal publicity shot for them and one which could still earn you a packet from other sources anyway.

I'm just narked that this didn't happen when I was at Bamburgh!

Just make sure they give you a credit against the picture Les, so that anyone wanting to buy it for further use knows where to come to. Also ask for a copy of the book (although she might be referring to the quarterly station rag called the Boulmer Lookout).

They're very nice shots Les, I worked on A Flt from 03-08 and they don't have many nice pictures of real rescues around the place. If you want to send a copy direct I've got a mate who works there still and I'll get you the details of the OC A Flt and OC 202 Sqn.

You could always send a copy to the groundcrew telling them the cab needs a good wash;)

Just make sure they give you a credit against the picture Les, so that anyone wanting to buy it for further use knows where to come to. Also ask for a copy of the book (although she might be referring to the quarterly station rag called the Boulmer Lookout).

They're very nice shots Les, I worked on A Flt from 03-08 and they don't have many nice pictures of real rescues around the place. If you want to send a copy direct I've got a mate who works there still and I'll get you the details of the OC A Flt and OC 202 Sqn.

You could always send a copy to the groundcrew telling them the cab needs a good wash;)

Have asked to be 'credited' , and for a copy of the publication (y)

I'll hold off for the moment contacting the OC, Anne (the Media and Communications Officer) seems such a nice person, and she did say some lovely things about my work, I'll leave her to pass on the images.

But thanks for the offer Kev-it is appreciated :)

#4 is a beautiful image. Being an aviation enthusiast in Northumberland it;s brilliant to see our one resident military aviation element shown so well. :clap:

Have asked to be 'credited' , and for a copy of the publication (y)

I'll hold off for the moment contacting the OC, Anne (the Media and Communications Officer) seems such a nice person, and she did say some lovely things about my work, I'll leave her to pass on the images.

But thanks for the offer Kev-it is appreciated :)

Tha's what she is payed to do. Get them to print one out, signed by the crew and present it to you. More positive press and hey, those icecream boys love it:LOL:

Edit - Forgot to say number 4 for mee too, spot on!

Last edited:
Back