Air to Air Photography

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone,

I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to go up and take some air-to-air photos for Flight Training Europe in Jerez, my former flying school and current employer. This was my first try at this sort of thing, and while I (and the school) are pleased with the results, I'd appreciate any comments suggestions for improvement next time (if there should happen to be a next time!).

The shots were taking out of the side of a Piper PA-34-220T Seneca III, with the rear door removed. Target aircraft were another Seneca, a PA-28-161 Warrior II, a Slingsby T67 Firefly, and a Pitts S-2B Special (the latter being the Chief Flying Instructor's private aircraft). Camera was a Canon 40D with a Canon 24-105 f/4L IS USM lens.

Apologies for the watermark, but the company wanted it there in return for letting me post them here.

Here goes - click on each image for a larger version:

Thanks for looking!

Not to bad at all. Shame it was a hazy day, I find that a defined horizon can really add something to a2a photography. Agree about 3 being cropped close, but it has a lot of potential: if you could get that pilot to drop aft on the references that he was using and the conduct a co-plane flat turn with the camera ship (away and towards) you can get some pleasing results. Many examples on my Flickr if you are interested.

All the best,

Cheesy

2 and 4 I like the best, I like how you have made all the scene look interesting rather than just the aircraft using the landscape to add extra interest

I think you've done a great job.
The crop on number 3 is a little tight though IMO.

Thanks for the feedback :) - yes I agree the crop is a bit tight, although it's actually pretty close to full-frame in this case. Looking back through them there are better examples of the Warrior I should have chosen to put up here :bonk:, so I'll stick a better example on Flickr when I can

Just what I was thinking. Great set otherwise, I think the last two are my favourite.

Thanks! :) The owner of the Pitts in no. 5 is rather keen on that shot!

Not to bad at all. Shame it was a hazy day, I find that a defined horizon can really add something to a2a photography. Agree about 3 being cropped close, but it has a lot of potential: if you could get that pilot to drop aft on the references that he was using and the conduct a co-plane flat turn with the camera ship (away and towards) you can get some pleasing results. Many examples on my Flickr if you are interested.

Thanks Cheesy. Yes, I agree about the haze - pretty much always a problem around here in the summer, sadly! I'll try and put some more warrior shots up (either here or on flickr - I've lost track of what the consensus is with putting lots of photos up on here!); the problem we had shooting with the Warrior was the performance difference between it and the camera ship - in the heat of the Spanish summer, we're lucky to get 105kts out of the Warrior, whereas the Seneca's slow-speed cruise is 120kts. We had to make all the turns to the left, keeping the Warrior on the inside of the turn, just to avoid leaving the poor thing behind!

Just had a very brief look at your Flickr, and I've had to pick my jaw up off the floor - very nice work indeed, I'm extremely jealous! :notworthy:

2 and 4 I like the best, I like how you have made all the scene look interesting rather than just the aircraft using the landscape to add extra interest

Thanks Palegirl - no. 2 is probably my favourite image from the whole shoot. Having nice scenery to work with always helps!

Back