Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Does anyone else stick camera gear in their pockets when flying to get round the baggage weight restrictions for carry on? I can get a camera body and a 15-85 and a 70-300 in my big coat pockets. It's worked every time I have done it so far, as otherwise I would be over the carry on allowance.

I work on the basis that if I was a fat(ter) git, they would be carrying the additional weight anyway!

If necessary, yes. It was originally suggested to me by a check in desk girl when I was a couple of kilos over. Ironically, now I've slimmed down my travel kit, the weight allowance for the airline we usually fly with has been raised so it's no longer an issue!

I've been doing similar for many years; with camera gear as well as other heavy, but small stuff.

It really angers me that they want to charge me extra for any gear I may carry, but the bloke they just let through was ten stone heavier than me. :mad:

It's about time, they started charging for the total weight - a person including their gear. That's the only truly accurate way to determine the weight being carried anyway . . .

Most holidays I book in Europe are carry on luggage only. So that's all my clothes, toiletries, sun lotion, camera gear etc.
And yes it is tough with just one bag. Though Ryan Air tou can have 2 bags.

So I do put items in my pockets and when I get on the they into a drawstring bag I have in my pocket. No policy on how many bags you go off the plan with.

My biggest issue is with airport security quizzing me on batteries that look like bullets ( canon LP E6 ) which must go in a f**king big gun !
Cables, why some much camera gear, are you a pro, is it yours etc.
The scanners go off as I have metal in my arm, and a bloody big scarr to prove it. Yet I get scanned, rescanned, shoes off etc, etc.
I asked one team off annoying security how many terrorists they have caught in this airport,....answer....none !

Never done this. Just been away and I weight my hand luggage before going and it was about 12.5kg, airline limit was 10kg. They never weighed it or checked it.

I believe some airlines has a size limit but no weight restrictions.

Most holidays I book in Europe are carry on luggage only. So that's all my clothes, toiletries, sun lotion, camera gear etc.
And yes it is tough with just one bag. Though Ryan Air tou can have 2 bags.

So I do put items in my pockets and when I get on the they into a drawstring bag I have in my pocket. No policy on how many bags you go off the plan with.

My biggest issue is with airport security quizzing me on batteries that look like bullets ( canon LP E6 ) which must go in a f**king big gun !
Cables, why some much camera gear, are you a pro, is it yours etc.
The scanners go off as I have metal in my arm, and a bloody big scarr to prove it. Yet I get scanned, rescanned, shoes off etc, etc.
I asked one team off annoying security how many terrorists they have caught in this airport,....answer....none !

I use those batteries and I have no idea how anyone would think they look like bullets!

Never done this. Just been away and I weight my hand luggage before going and it was about 12.5kg, airline limit was 10kg. They never weighed it or checked it.

I believe some airlines has a size limit but no weight restrictions.
Most of them have weight restrictions but I can honestly say I have never had my hand baggage weighed

Most of them have weight restrictions but I can honestly say I have never had my hand baggage weighed

They've been a lot more relaxed about it for the last ten years or so, but they still do the odd check and I've seen people have to part with large wads of cash as a result.

I use to enjoy the experience of going to the airport to start my holiday. Now it is dred because of traffic, parking, ques, security, high prices for shopping at the airport. Where are the duty free offers as I can get the same price if not cheaper on the high street and I have not even look online yet !

Bring back the fun of travelling !

There's a more serious side as to hand luggage weight restrictions. Imaging a scenario where everyone loads the overhead lockers with heavy items. The plane encounters extreme turbulence and the latch on the locker fails. It's suddenly raining heavy weights onto passengers' heads. Lower weight == less risk. Sitting in the window seat mitigates the risk further.

There's a more serious side as to hand luggage weight restrictions. Imaging a scenario where everyone loads the overhead lockers with heavy items. The plane encounters extreme turbulence and the latch on the locker fails. It's suddenly raining heavy weights onto passengers' heads. Lower weight == less risk. Sitting in the window seat mitigates the risk further.

Er, yeah okay. A zombie attack might also happen mid flight. Baggage bins are designed to stay shut regardless of weight.

Not sure what that comment has to do with what the OP asked to be honest. That is also very unlikely to happen, most planes have some sort of elasticated netting etc to stop stuff coming out of them.

Not sure what that comment has to do with what the OP asked to be honest. That is also very unlikely to happen, most planes have some sort of elasticated netting etc to stop stuff coming out of them.

It has everything to do with it. Offload the heavy items and repack them prior to putting them in the overhead.

BTW, can’t remember the last time I saw nets as secondary containment. Most modern designs offer design improvements that mitigate the risk of failure to the extent where a secondary safety system is no longer warranted. Failures inflight do occur. Usually as a consequence of extreme turbulence or a heavy landing when the fuselage flexes such that the latches on either side of the overhead door disengage. It happens from time to time. Heavy bags, snakes or zombies falling on your head are bad.

Please believe me when I say I’m not trying to be deliberately provocative. I’m not. Storing excessively heavy items above your head on a flight isn’t a particularly smart idea. I’m not advocating the greed and stupidity that some budget airlines adopt in an attempt to drive up prices, merely the fact that some regulations make sense.

Think it’s just easyJet that doesn’t. Jet2 seem pretty chilled about it, mine is always over.

I’m away at the moment flew out with Jet2 with the following. Canon 5D4 with grip. 24-105mm, 17-40mm, 50mm, Sigma 150-600mm, batteries, speedlite etc and they never looked at my bag or asked about the size or weight, plus it wasn’t even stopped going through security. [emoji106]

Re the overhead lockers- flew on a new 737 in the States recently and they have extra large overhead lockers to get the bags in on their narrow edge so more can fit in. I’d love to know if any bags have ever fallen on someone’s head in turbulence and even then if 10 kgs is going to make much difference to 8 kgs when it lands on someone’s head. And that Etihad clip shows the bins damaged but still shut.

Last edited:
It's about time, they started charging for the total weight - a person including their gear. That's the only truly accurate way to determine the weight being carried anyway . . .
I can’t see that ever happening. Imagine the backlash in the media and lawsuits for penalising people who are overweight because of medical conditions. The current maximum luggage weight doesn’t just penalise photographers, sports enthusiasts are penalised too so it’s probably the fairest way to do it. The next problem will be children pay less but still take up the same space (one chair) as an adult does so why do adults pay more..... the list could be endless.

No weight limit on easyJet carry on, you must be able to lift it into the overhead. Size restrictions apply but a Peli 1510 fits fine.

BA is 23kg total across 2 x bags.

Air Baltic certainly weigh hand luggage at Gatwick. Mine was 15kg vs their 12kg limit, fortunately a couple of the guys on the same gig were below so I could redistribute.

GC

The trouble with EasyJet is that there may not be any room in the lockers for a maximum sized bag. We flew today to Crete and the plane was full.
My cabin bag wasn't measured at all but if we hadn't had speedy boarding then there would have been no room for the bag in the lockers.

I've never had a problem with a camera bag and weight issue as carry on luggage.
Some years ago I took Lowepro backpack stuffed with camera gear on a long haul flight to the USA and I packed my Lowepro shoulder bag into my suitcase.
My only gripe has been with Easyjet this year as the hold luggage allowance was a stingy 15KG which is ridiculous for a 10 holiday so we had to pay to upgrade to 18KG each. Last year we flew to the same destination via TUI and the allowance was 20KG.
As it's been a package holiday we had no choice but to fly with Easyjet.
Next year we'll probably come back to the same location as we love it here but I'll check out other airlines as I make book the flights and hotel separately.

I've never had a problem with a camera bag and weight issue as carry on luggage.
Some years ago I took Lowepro backpack stuffed with camera gear on a long haul flight to the USA and I packed my Lowepro shoulder bag into my suitcase.
My only gripe has been with Easyjet this year as the hold luggage allowance was a stingy 15KG which is ridiculous for a 10 holiday so we had to pay to upgrade to 18KG each. Last year we flew to the same destination via TUI and the allowance was 20KG.
As it's been a package holiday we had no choice but to fly with Easyjet.
Next year we'll probably come back to the same location as we love it here but I'll check out other airlines as I make book the flights and hotel separately.
Sat on an Easy jet plane at the moment waiting for take off. Luggage allowance is 23 kgs and i have 10 kgs in a carry on. Neve seen 15 on Easy jet but have on TUI.
edit just checked and you can have up to 32 kgs if you pay extra,.

Last edited:
Sat on an Easy jet plane at the moment waiting for take off. Luggage allowance is 23 kgs and i have 10 kgs in a carry on. Neve seen 15 on Easy jet but have on TUI.
edit just checked and you can have up to 32 kgs if you pay extra,.

We paid extra from an additional 3KG.
I also saw 23KG allowance on their website but via our booking with on the beach it stipulated 15KG.

I find check-in a very stressful thing. I am sure that it depends on the person behind the counter. We flew back from visiting friends and family in Australia in January. We were on Etihad and the cabin allowance for economy was 7kg. When my airport essentials [which looks small even on me at 5'2"] weighed in at just over 9kg, I waited for the charge to be levied but she didn't bat an eye lid and advised me to move something out of the bag when we were on board so that it wasn't a hazard in the overhead bin. Every time I try and reduce my kit but something sneaks in when I am not looking.... ;)

I was on a charter flight a few weeks ago with a 5kg bag limit for carry on!

It was a paid job so needed a full working kit with me incase my suitcase got lost. My carry on was 12kg. Ended up strapping the 70-200 f2.8 and 2x tc along with the eos r and the 24-70 f2.8 to the mounts on my belt and letting my coat drape over them. My pockets were full of everything else I could fit!

My bag was at 6.5kg after this, it was mentioned that I was over but they let me through as a favour!!

You can add to your carry on weight in the Duty Free Shops, a couple of bottles of wine and some hardback books soon adds up and that is never weighed.

The trouble with EasyJet is that there may not be any room in the lockers for a maximum sized bag. We flew today to Crete and the plane was full.
My cabin bag wasn't measured at all but if we hadn't had speedy boarding then there would have been no room for the bag in the lockers.

EasyJet have played around a bit with policy over the last few years.

If you check the current regs then with Speedy Boarding you have more flexiblity on cabin baggage and also in principle they won't take a larger bag off you as you board. On the other hand on a busy flight and if you one of the last 60 on board and you have a full sized cabin bag then you may be relieved of it before being allowed to board.

You can add to your carry on weight in the Duty Free Shops, a couple of bottles of wine and some hardback books soon adds up and that is never weighed.
Take a duty free bag and put extra stuff in that to carry on the plane. You can then put it in your carry on bag once boarded.

Take a duty free bag and put extra stuff in that to carry on the plane. You can then put it in your carry on bag once boarded.

This doesn't help when they weigh at check-in - or where your DF is something that is not treated as separate from your main cabin baggae allowance.

This whole area of cabin baggage is a minefield - enforcement varies considerably. Details of the Ts and Cs also vary quite a bit.

The problem with photo kit is that if you depend on getting through on journey then yes - you may well get past outbound - but then find tougher enforcement on the next sector or return.

EasyJet have played around a bit with policy over the last few years.

If you check the current regs then with Speedy Boarding you have more flexiblity on cabin baggage and also in principle they won't take a larger bag off you as you board. On the other hand on a busy flight and if you one of the last 60 on board and you have a full sized cabin bag then you may be relieved of it before being allowed to board.
Yes, it's a complete minefield. Came back fro Crete yesterday and 1 chap on the flight had his bag measured just before boarding. He passed OK but in conversation with me he said he thought that EasyJet overhead lockers were larger than most (?). My attempt at putting everything in my Billingham Large to reduce overall size was only a partial success, it was so bloody heavy on the shoulder and with no handle it was very difficult to carry long distance, so my wife carried it:oops: :$.
I already have a ThinkTank Airport Antidote which allegedly fits in with carry on regulations but it's fairly old and times have changed and things are more restrictive on budget airlines. I'm looking at the Lowepro Protactic AW350 as the belt is removable.

Unless you fly Ryanair on a return flight from some airports - Luebeck airport was notorious for sticking to the limit....

I have had my bag weight at the gate. It wholly dependant on the airline.

Just flown with Qatar. They weighed our carry on, only allowed 7kg and I was 21kg over. Had to place bodies and lenses in pockets of camera vest. I was eventually allowed on with 12kg and my wife with 11kg and 5he rest was in pockets or around our necks. No issue with continuing flights on Qatar at Doha or Comair in South Africa. Hope SAA and ba are accomodating

Hope SAA and ba are accomodating

BA carry on allowance is 23kg. Can't help with SAA, last time I flew with them de Klerk was still in power!

GC

Just flown with Qatar. They weighed our carry on, only allowed 7kg and I was 21kg over. Had to place bodies and lenses in pockets of camera vest. I was eventually allowed on with 12kg and my wife with 11kg and 5he rest was in pockets or around our necks. No issue with continuing flights on Qatar at Doha or Comair in South Africa. Hope SAA and ba are accomodating
You had 28kgs:eek:, can’t believe that would be safe in overhead locker as a lot of people wouldn’t be able to lift it up there?

One question for those that go regularly with RyanAir nowadays - I am going with a bag that can go below seats, but will have the tripod bag also which can go together with it under the seat, but is a bit longer.

Should I buy the priority upgrade, or I could pass with it? Before it was ok with normal ticket and it is ok on the other airlines, but with this policy change I don't know anymore...

I'd be fearful of being underneath a Ryanair aircraft, let alone fly in one. :exit:

One question for those that go regularly with RyanAir nowadays - I am going with a bag that can go below seats, but will have the tripod bag also which can go together with it under the seat, but is a bit longer.

Should I buy the priority upgrade, or I could pass with it? Before it was ok with normal ticket and it is ok on the other airlines, but with this policy change I don't know anymore...
You will need priority upgrade or they will charge you extra at the airport, and it will be a lot more than the cost if a priority upgrade.

And there are other complications.

I just came back from a trip to SE Asia and at checkin on the way home Emirates were asking about laptops - Some Macbook Pro 15" models are banned because of a battery scare- you can't carry them on board (or check them in).

Back