Aira Force Waterfall, Lake District

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Some shots of aira force. Due to not having used filters before these were the best exposures i could get.

IMG_2130.jpg

IMG_2121.jpg

IMG_2109.jpg

I have happy memories of Aira Force from our honeymoon :) Thanks for the reminder, it means a lot!

Now, your shots. You have composed them quite well considering the limited angle you get on that bridge. Were you using a tripod? If not, it explains the blur, though it could also be other people walking on the bridge, or even the vibrations of quite a powerful water fall. I remember it vibrating under foot when we were there. It could also be that as time went on you collected more and more fines spray on your lens, which took away some IQ :shrug: Anyway, I think 1/5 and 1/8 shutter speeds along with f/22 is where your problem lies. If you had used a smaller aperture, say about f/9 you would have got a brighter exposure, allowing you to up your shutter speed which would have in turn lowered the amount of blur/softness (unless it was water spray of course). Upping your ISO to about 400 would also have helped you get it up even more (ooh err :naughty:).

You don't necessarily need filters, I've managed so far without them, as many other folk have. I admit they are a huge bonus though and at some point I would like to get myself a set.

It's definitely worth a re visit if you can, and just have a bit more of a play with your settings :)

Thanks for your comments Jo.

Unfortunately i dont think i'll be getting back up there for another year or two but will definately re-visit Aira force when I do.

Thanks for the advice on my shots. I was in fact using a tripod, but the place was so busy i had people walking past me every 10 seconds or so and i could also feel the vibrations from the waterfall.

Im not (and certainly wasnt then) very experienced in the settings needed for good waterfall but my main aim on the day was to get the slowest shutter speed I could without over exposing the shot, as i believe this to be the only way to get the flowing effect of the waterfall?

Ah I see! Well if that was you main focus, doing a few shots like this would have been great. Then you could have tried changing the settings like I suggested for the rest of the frame. A bit of layering (probably would have only needed 2 for this. 1 for the water and one for the rest) would have given you the best of both worlds.

Filters, a grad filter in particular would work perfectly for water fall situations. But unfortunately at Aira Force there isn't somewhere to set up other than that bridge as far as I remember :thinking: So the motion really makes that difficult. I think you know that anyway now :) It's a shame it will be so long before you can return, but next time I'm sure you'll be more than capable of bringing back and excellent set to show us all, and we can all gawp with admiration :)

Jo
xx

I 've not done any post processing except some cropping and slight exposure adjustment, so maybe layering is something i'll try in the future as im getting photoshop soon (Due to the fact im doing my first wedding in a few weeks even though im still a complete novice, I must be mad)

Thanks for the tips.

:eek: A wedding? You're braver than me! :LOL: Good luck with it though, and have a good gander through the numerous wedding threads for tips and techniques that will hopefully help. :)

Yeah, its my brother in laws wedding, and they really cant afford a photographer so its me for free or no photos at all. I've already told them they'd be better off with the 2nd option but they insist that i've "got an eye" for photography and that they'll be happy with whatever shots I get good or bad. I am getting a bit scared though !!!

Well, if you're worried about certain aspects in particular go and start a thread in the Talk Photography section (I think). You will have to step into a reasonably tick skin though, but I'm sure you know that ;) However you will get some very good advice, that might help you calm your fears a little.

I like the photos, but the vibrations and blur are a killer.

Gary.

Back