Heres some of the Reds at the Portrush show
DSC_4306_edited-1.jpg

DSC_4278_edited-1.jpg

DSC_4231_edited-1.jpg

DSC_4210_edited-2.jpg

DSC_4208_edited-1.jpg

these are good especially No.3. (y)
I tried this at Weymouth and they were rubbish, not the reds (me):LOL:
Just watched a video of the event on the BBC news web site.

sure is a big bird.........I fly across the pond on Tuesday, a 767 with only two engines!!!
I looked on here for advice about shooting the reds over the sea, I was told to use the longest lens in my possession. I used a 300 with a X2 converter, totally wrong lens, slow to focus and I couldn't locate the aircraft.
I also have the 70-200 VR 2.8 and next time I shall use that.
You seemed to have done alright at your first go, what Nikon did you use?

Hi Brian I did exactly the same thing. I have a brand new 300f4 with a 2x TC and had exactly the same problem. Too slow to focus and couldnt find plane. I was going to bu the Sigma 150-500 but was talked out of it into the nikon glass. Maybe the 300 would be better for landscapes although some use it for airshows. Maybe lack of experience on my part. I use a D300.

Have a good flight - sure if one engine stops, you have a spare one. If the second stops you'll take all day to get there!!!!!!!!!!
MERV
PS What shutter speeds were you using for planes. I think you need 1/2000 sec despite what people say. Tried 1/1000 but not perfect:bang::bonk:

Thanks Steve. I'm not all that pleased with my results and i dont know if you can tell anything about the 'Reds' photos from this posting. I used my D300, most of the time with a 70-200f2.8VR with a 1.7TC. Dont know if you feel the 1.7 degrades the image too much. Also tried a 300f4 with a 2x TC but found focus slow and couldnt fine the planes that easily. They say the 300 is a brilliant lens. Only one show in N ireland per year and cant practice again till next year. Do you shoot bikes or cars also?
MERV:bonk:

Back