Aircraft photographers LTD

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
Had this image of Low level photographers sat on my hard drive, and thought some of you guys who have never been or seen what its like might get an idea of the terrain

185127679_BBDzp-L.jpg

cheers Chris

Bwlch Exit

Should have had one of those guy's take a pic of you on the Bwlch Shelf

i should really get out and do some of this. always had an obsession with planes (especially world war 1 & 2 ) and since i was a young'un always had a healthy appetite for climbing large mountains/hills.

looks like it could be a whole lot of fun! (y)

A bit like the Settle to Carlisle then! :)

Very much like Settle>Carlisle Stuart
only real difference is no monster hill climb, and with the 'Rattlers' you get a ball park figure with the timing
with the Low Flyers, no such Luxury - Looooong waits with often nothing at all to point the camera at

lol yeah i should of mentioned i wouldnt be expecting to see any world war 1/2 aircraft, i would imagine, as you say, seeing any type of aircraft would be a bonus.

out of interest, how do you keep your camera dry?

lol yeah i should of mentioned i wouldnt be expecting to see any world war 1/2 aircraft, i would imagine, as you say, seeing any type of aircraft would be a bonus.

out of interest, how do you keep your camera dry?

I have a plastic sheet cover that wraps all the way around my camera bag plus I have one of those big golf umbrella's
some folks use those Bivvy sheets and other use the half tent jobbies
Chris

Had this image of Low level photographers sat on my hard drive, and thought some of you guys who have never been or seen what its like might get an idea of the terrain

185127679_BBDzp-L.jpg

cheers Chris

what you cant see is the road and the greasy spoon cafe to the left of the toggers :LOL: , only kidding , never been myself , would love to have a go though :clap:

Not too keen on long hikes myself, but love to get some of the aircraft images. How far is this from the nearest road?

anyone got a google map of the location? Is there aircraft everyday and quite frequently?

I guess being an asthmatic then Aviation shots are not for me. I'm out of breath just looking at these photos, shame as it was something I did fancy a go at.

Are there any easily accessible spots anywhere for photo taking? Other than Air shows.

I guess being an asthmatic then Aviation shots are not for me. I'm out of breath just looking at these photos, shame as it was something I did fancy a go at.

Are there any easily accessible spots anywhere for photo taking? Other than Air shows.

Then you should try Cad East. You can park your car and take a level (ish) walk to the gap !!

Cad East is your best bet. Park the car and you have a gentle 5 minute walk to a great spot. Check out the lowfly.net website for more info.

Mark

P.S. Yeah that Rory beat me to it, must have them red trousers on again :-D

Last edited:

Cad East is very accessible. Farmer track that takes you most of the way, just a small climb to get to several positions. Check out www.flylow-flyfast.co.uk and jump on the forum for more info

I'm asthmatic too mate, I manage the climbs, it can be done if you just take your time, plenty of breaks /rests on the way up and make sure you have your inhaler with you (y)

..... but as others have said, Cad East is easy with just a short walk.

Last edited:
I'm asthmatic too mate, I manage the climbs, it can be done if you just take your time, plenty of breaks /rests on the way up and make sure you have your inhaler with you (y)

..... but as others have said, Cad East is easy with just a short walk.

:plus1: me too but outdoor activities can still be done! (y)

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to go for it then. Need to have a look at my hectic timetable and will have a read up and see when some of you chaps will be there for kit advice and settings. If 10% of all of your skilz rubs off on me I will be extremely happy with the results :) Anyone got satnav info for the carpark?

Last edited:
I'm asthmatic too mate, I manage the climbs, it can be done if you just take your time, plenty of breaks /rests on the way up and make sure you have your inhaler with you.

Me too. And I can walk all day long if needed. Lots of things can be achieved despite asthma. Paula Radcliffe can win marathons so a bit of hill climbing shouldn't be a problem. Just start slowly and build up rather than trying to tackle a mountain on your first day.

Steve.

I now have a mental image of about twenty blokes at the Bwlch, all in various stages of collapse, inhalers in hand! :puke::D

There are different levels of Asthma I have O2 at home and in the car and four inhalers. Beat that suckers :LOL: Seriously I would have a shot at anything. Just if there is an easier option I will take it.

Last edited:
Want to see if I can arrange a car share now. I have to have someone to nag on the journey. I guess the tog buddy forum would be a good start. All of a sudden my 70-300 seems like it will be a little challenged.

Last edited:
Just adding to this thread
anyone thinking of going to get some Low Level shots - please make sure you get wrapped up as though you are going on an 'Arctic expedition' it gets bitterly cold stood around waiting for something to happen all day
it might seem reasonably warm in the car park or Laybye when you arrive - but believe me - get up high the cold wind gives no respite at all and many places there is no shelter at all

also a hot flask of tea goes with me every time along with a mobile phone should I slip and Tumble which is very easy

and one more bit of advice is park your cars in a sensible manor not blocking the farmers gates which does happen often - and take all your rubbish away with you

a few simple rules will make life much easier for all concerned

sorry to sound like a boring old fart but this is a great hobby - so hopefully any newcomers will go and have a good day - most of the Folks you will meet (old hands) on the hill will help you with camera settings etc

and dont forget to post your results!!!!!

happy hunting guys
Chris

a couple of shots pointing at the aircraft and not the Photogs
185156044_mnxkf-L.jpg

259856198_KhL8T-L.jpg

Thanks for the tips Buttkicker All taken on board. I bet no matter how many times you say this though some **** tries to spoil it for everyone else by doing the exact opposite.

id love to have a go at this, whats the best lens to use as atm i only have a max of 200mm, is there any info anywhere as to when and where the planes fly or is it a regular occurance weekly monthly daily etc?

Thanks

im not bothered about the waiting really just like an idea when they are going to be there lol,

cheers for the links thow.

Back