Beginner Airport travel

carmot

Suspended / Banned
Name
john conlin
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi just seen the news looks like the large electric equipment hand luggage ban is to be implemented to europe how will we mange if you want to take your camera equipment with you and have to put it in the hold

I've just come back from Bali and Oz, my Olympus OMD and 3 lenses were in a Lowepro sling bag which I carried as hand luggage. My hold baggage arrived in Oz from Bali covered in boot marks. There is no way I would put my camera equipment in hold baggage because of the potential for damge or theft. I'd leave it all behind and take a cheap compact camera, or more likely not go at all as my main travel purpose is to take photographs.

Likewise, I would never put anything other than clothes, wash bag, souvenirs and paperwork in my suitcase. Cameras, iPad etc go hand luggage along with my travel paperwork. When I was flying around Vietnam 16 months ago every time I checked in I was specifically asked if anything of value was in my suitcase and if it was, to take it out and hand carry it. This is due to the theft of and from travellers luggage that is prevelant in Vietnam airports. This whole thing is paranoia, if I want to bring down an aircraft I would use an RPG or similar whilst stood at the end of the runway at Heathrow. No aircraft could survive that at low speed and altitude and the debris would hit housing estates etc. Massive death toll.....

Can't help but think that it's OTT scare mongering and unnecessary tbh, and the risk of fires due to lithium batteries in the hold is much higher. Not only don't I like the idea of my camera going in the hold, flying is going to be very tedious not being able to watch movies on the iPad or read the kindle.

Its certainly going to have a huge impact on transatlantic flying, I suspect based on the reaction from the UK/EU to it though that its incredibly unlikely that we'll see it rolled out any further than the flights to the USA and the Middle East ones already affected.

Some of the Middle East's biggest airlines have been reporting huge loss in revenue and even reducing flight numbers to the USA as demand has taken a huge hit since the ban, I suspect the USA can expect the same from Europe, it just sadly seem to make the USA appear more unwelcoming than its already become over the last spell.

Yep a royal PITA as we're planning a long weekend in NY at the end of the year and of course was hoping to take my camera. Guess it's either risk the hold or buy another RX100 or G7x, neither of which I was over the moon with.

We were all booked up to go back to California again this year, but due to the uncertainty over whether this rumoured ban will come into effect or not, we've ditched travelling to the US. If nothing materialises, we might go next year. If a ban does come in, we might still go but will Pelicase our bodies and/or rent from one of the US companies.

Never put your camera gear in the hold, it gets thrown, bashed around and abused.

Camera gear in a bag is fine. Its laptops and tablets they are concerned with. I've travelled with no issues.

Last edited:
We were all booked up to go back to California again this year, but due to the uncertainty over whether this rumoured ban will come into effect or not, we've ditched travelling to the US. If nothing materialises, we might go next year. If a ban does come in, we might still go but will Pelicase our bodies and/or rent from one of the US companies.
I've recently travelled back from the US. No issues with my gear in my hand luggage?

Are you guys talking about a ban I'm not aware of or the recent intelligence (that now seems to be getting Trump into trouble) that that made laptops / tablets go in the hold luggage as a precaution (and only if you're flying from one of seven high risk countries)?

Last edited:
I've recently travelled back from the US. No issues with my gear in my hand luggage?

Are you guys talking about a ban I'm not aware of or the recent intelligence (that now seems to be getting Trump into trouble) that that made laptops / tablets go in the hold luggage as a precaution (and only if you're flying from one of seven high risk countries)?
Not sure, there seems to be a lot of conflicting info tbh, some of which says all European flights to the US.

Can't help but think that it's OTT scare mongering and unnecessary tbh, and the risk of fires due to lithium batteries in the hold is much higher. Not only don't I like the idea of my camera going in the hold, flying is going to be very tedious not being able to watch movies on the iPad or read the kindle.

Ever heard of this new thing called a book? I hear they're all the rage in some places.......;)

They are talking about extending the ban to flights from Europe, but it hasn't happened yet. If it works like (e.g.) flights from Dubai, cameras may be affected as well, but nothing is certain right now. At least one airline affected by the existing band has made special arrangements for expensive, fragile gadgets, which should make damage or theft less likely: https://techcrunch.com/2017/05/12/heres-how-the-laptop-ban-works-on-flights-to-the-us/

Ever heard of this new thing called a book? I hear they're all the rage in some places.......;)
I don't like novels, and my other books are big and heavy :p

They are talking about extending the ban to flights from Europe, but it hasn't happened yet. If it works like (e.g.) flights from Dubai, cameras may be affected as well, but nothing is certain right now. At least one airline affected by the existing band has made special arrangements for expensive, fragile gadgets, which should make damage or theft less likely: https://techcrunch.com/2017/05/12/heres-how-the-laptop-ban-works-on-flights-to-the-us/
I'm off to Dubai next week actually, but from what I can see there's no issue with flights to the UK yet.

I can't see how all these ban will solve the problem ...... no laptop, tablet or potential camera equipment, but you can take your mobile phone up to certain size? What make them think those mobile phone will not blow up?

Interesting to see that possibly the main reason for it not being implemented was lobbying to highlight the risk of a huge drop in transatlantic travellers. As Sarahhj said we've just binned an upcoming trip to the US in favour of Canada partially due to this looming threat. That's a few grand out of Americans' pockets, I wonder how many millions it would cost them if they went ahead.

Interesting to see that possibly the main reason for it not being implemented was lobbying to highlight the risk of a huge drop in transatlantic travellers. As Sarahhj said we've just binned an upcoming trip to the US in favour of Canada partially due to this looming threat. That's a few grand out of Americans' pockets, I wonder how many millions it would cost them if they went ahead.

I don't think so TBH. DT had already said the UK won't be affected by the recent ban from the 7 "danger" countries, one of the reasons being that our screening is more than good enough. I can't see it happening.

I do hope not. I love the US, but at the moment it costs a fortune and I can certainly do without any additional travel hassle.

I don't think so TBH. DT had already said the UK won't be affected by the recent ban from the 7 "danger" countries, one of the reasons being that our screening is more than good enough. I can't see it happening.

But we are impacted, they did roll out a similar ban on flights inbound to the UK from Turkey, Lebanon, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Tunisia and Jordan.
We, like those Middle East nations are powerless to do anything about it if the US Authorities unilaterally ban these devices on flights which are Inbound to the USA.

But we are impacted, they did roll out a similar ban on flights inbound to the UK from Turkey, Lebanon, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Tunisia and Jordan.
We, like those Middle East nations are powerless to do anything about it if the US Authorities unilaterally ban these devices on flights which are Inbound to the USA.
Yes, as I said the seven identified risk countries. But it'll only affect you if you are travelling back from those countries, and did not affect cameras. They were allowed,

When I was flying around Vietnam 16 months ago every time I checked in I was specifically asked if anything of value was in my suitcase and if it was, to take it out and hand carry it.

And this was still the case this March.

I would never put my camera in the hold luggage. I'd rather leave it at home. Looks like the ban has something to do with laptops and tablets anyway.

I would never put my camera in the hold luggage. I'd rather leave it at home. Looks like the ban has something to do with laptops and tablets anyway.

I've been looking at a Peli case so if the camera goes in the hold it will have a fighting chance of survival. If not I will not take it

I did a job in the states last year. I took my Peli 1510 which is international carry on size.

The transatlantic flight was fine, the case went on as carry on, but the internal flight from Chicago to Erie PA I was in a small jet that has 3 seats across and ALL passengers at the gate were asked to put their cases in the hold and given a tag.

I had no choice. The flight is in front of me, get on or refuse and don't get on.

When I got it back at the other end, both latches were opened and the only thing keeping it shut are my 2 TSA locks. Either they dropped it so hard it dislodged BOTH latches or someone tried to get in.

On the way back I wrapped the case in duct tape and it wasn't opened.

n1D067M.jpg

Last edited:
A lesson to remember by us all. Hard case luggage are the best IMO. If we've got it filled with clothes and the photo equipment placed wisely, the chance to damage it is reduced considerably.

A lesson to remember by us all. Hard case luggage are the best IMO. If we've got it filled with clothes and the photo equipment placed wisely, the chance to damage it is reduced considerably.

I also have the ThinkTank International V2.0, it is also carry on size, it has nicer silent wheels, lighter and holds more stuff.

I can hold in the V2.0

2 bodies, 4 flashes, 7 lenses.

vs

Peli 1510

2 bodies, 6 lenses, 4 flashes.

I am tempted to take my Thinktank for a job in Portugal next month but experience tells me I better play it safe than sorry. I just have to stick the extra lens in my pocket instead.

We've been to Italy last month and had no issues at all. I'd guess it's only in US at present and by the looks of it, just internal flights.

For me, just another reason NOT to plan any trip to the USA for the next 4 years at least

The official ban into the US covers any electronic item larger than a large smartphone and is being implemented by different airlines in different ways. Some will require you put things in the hold, no arguments, do it or do not fly. There are some restrictions back in to the UK in place at the moment but only from certain countries. But you should be aware as going out you would be fine but you may face issues coming back.

Unfortunately this is one of these cases where you can be in the right, you can explain the details of the ban but ultimately it comes down to the individual airline and their check in desks and how they interpret it. As we have seen from recent news stories, the airline is "always right" and can stop you flying for all sorts of reasons.

The official ban into the US covers any electronic item larger than a large smartphone and is being implemented by different airlines in different ways. Some will require you put things in the hold, no arguments, do it or do not fly. There are some restrictions back in to the UK in place at the moment but only from certain countries. But you should be aware as going out you would be fine but you may face issues coming back.

Unfortunately this is one of these cases where you can be in the right, you can explain the details of the ban but ultimately it comes down to the individual airline and their check in desks and how they interpret it. As we have seen from recent news stories, the airline is "always right" and can stop you flying for all sorts of reasons.
This ban only relates to travelling in from one of 10 at risk countries, which of course the UK isn't, and they think only 50 flights a day will be affected - thats tiny compared to the thousands (if not more) landing everyday.

What I don't understand is if anything goes off in the hold, for sure the effects are less devastating due to pressurisation and a stronger safety cell, but it would still more then likely destroy the aircraft.

Last edited:
Back