Airports + Cameras - Anything to worry about?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all......

Well I'm going to Thailand to see family in 3 weeks and well my recently aquired D200 will certainley get its best test run ever! However what are airports like with cameras and carrying them on planes?

I plan to bring my Lowepro Mini AW onboard as hand luggage? which I'm assuming is all okay. I know airports are dead tight with security but what extremes do they go to in checking cameras? I've got nothing to hide hehe don't worry. I'm just wondering thats all! Just gettin prepared thats all......

I mean last time they searched me as I was carrying my epidren medical pen! which is understandable but the rigmerole (spelling) was just crazy. This time I have to get a medical note from the doctor!

Ed :)

Never had any problems with my camera kit (or my full diabetic kit) as carry on luggage. Even been through Bangkok airport with 20 syringes in my bag with no problems :)

mrgubby said:
Never had any problems with my camera kit (or my full diabetic kit) as carry on luggage. Even been through Bangkok airport with 20 syringes in my bag with no problems :)

Thanks for that :) Really not to sure what lenses to bring either, was thinking of just bringing the Nikkor 24-85 2.5-4 and 50mm prime but thinking mmmm what about my 70-200? arghghghghg! heheh

Last time I was searched and had to get Dad to explain to security in Thai (cos hes Thai) about my allergies and why I had to carry these pens! If Dad wasn't there I dunno what I would have done and its important I carry these pens! So I'm off to get a letter from the docs this time.

Thanks for your help!

shouldnt have a problem at all, just for the sake of not wanting to even look suspicious id keep it in the bag while in the airport.

i recently flew from manchester with all my gear in a crumpler rucsac, i was 1kg over the allowed weight and the lady wouldnt let me go, it would have been acceptable if i took my camera bag out of my bag and carried it through seperately, she couldnt quite get round the fact that the rucsac WAS my camera bag. got round it by saying i would take all my books out of the bag and carry them onto the plane so my bag only weighed 5kg....... naturally i went onto the plane with everythig including my laptop in my rucsac as her rules were a bag or rubbish!

but you shouldnt have a problem really, i didnt even get stopped at the xray machines and body search dispite having more electronics in my bag than a high-tec terrorist

You should be absolutely fine! I took my kit to Thailand a few years back as part of my hand luggage with no problems at all! The doctors note should cover your back with your Epidren pen, so no probs there either. When my brother went backpacking, I packed him a medical supply kit with sterile needles, syringes, cannulas, swabs etc. he got a note from the doctor explaining why he was carrying these things and had no probs at all (and he went 1/2 way round the world..lol).

I wish I was coming with you - I've only been to Thailand once, but was captivated by the beauty of it and the Thai people :)

Kinobe said:
So I'm off to get a letter from the docs this time.

Never had a note , Have pointed out once or twice "So , Mr druggy/terrorist couldn't fake a doctors note ???". Was asked to hand my Insulin/Syringes to the flight attendants before but refused as "my life depenends on them and I wasn't going to hand them over to an unqualified drinks trolley :D" . They backed down

minimeeze said:
You should be absolutely fine! I took my kit to Thailand a few years back as part of my hand luggage with no problems at all! The doctors note should cover your back with your Epidren pen, so no probs there either. When my brother went backpacking, I packed him a medical supply kit with sterile needles, syringes, cannulas, swabs etc. he got a note from the doctor explaining why he was carrying these things and had no probs at all (and he went 1/2 way round the world..lol).

I wish I was coming with you - I've only been to Thailand once, but was captivated by the beauty of it and the Thai people :)

Thanks all for your help, once again very helpful! :)

I love Thailand, so much that I keeping thinking about moving out there for "life" one day. We'll see. Your right though, so many photographic opportunities round Thailand and the people are just so kind and caring. Not saying that the UK is not caring and kind cos most of it is but its just a total different atmosphere in Thailand.

Walking in the centre of Bangkok is really nice, its really weird in a way cos your on holiday while all these Thai people are at work! Its just a total different country where things are so different but really nice.

No doubt I'll have some pictures to share with you all when I come back :)

Thanks again........

i had no problems on a recent holiday to turkey.took camera on as hand luggage, no problems with my diabetic kit.had a note from doctors but was never asked for it. have a good time

I got stopped @ Birmingham a few weeks ago with my orion trekker 2, lady told another guy 'its got a lot of electrical stuff' so he some what hesitantly asked me to open up everything and he took swabs which he then analyzed and gave me the all clear as it obviously wasn't a bomb.

minimeeze said:
You should be absolutely fine! I took my kit to Thailand a few years back as part of my hand luggage with no problems at all!

Likewise, Kept mine in the hand luggage and no problems at all..(y)

PS: Don't forget to get a window seat and take a couple while you are there..:nuts:

woolly-clouds.jpg

Back