Beginner Airshow help Maybe hire?

Name
James Franklin
Edit My Images
Yes
Evening guys,

I'm heading to Yeovilton airshow in July and I've got this funny feeling my lens hasn't got enough length [emoji85]I currently have the tamron 18-270 but I've been nosing online and you can hire lenses is it worth it as I looked at the sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG.

Would love some advice and to help me with what direction I should go?

Many thanks

I hired the Sport version of the Siggy. The costliest thing I've done.

I end up buying one!

Why not buy a second hand one from the likes of eBay. If you like, you keep. If you don't sell it on and you will probably cover your costs.

Last edited:
I hired the Sport version of the Siggy. The costliest thing I've done.

I end up buying one!

Why not buy a second hand one from the likes of eBay. If you like, you keep. If you don't sell it on and you will probably cover your costs.

Hmmmm I guess so it's a difficult one as I'm not sure how often I would use that sort of size lens tho.

What would you say about this price for hiring? Also this is the sports one
http://www.lensesforhire.co.uk/product/sigma-c-150-600mm-f5-6.3-dg-os-hsm-sports

Cheers

I used Hireacamera. I'm sure there is someone on here from one of the hire companies that offers discounts?

I had no real issue with Hireacamera other than proof of identity however, it was understandable and they made it as easy as possible.

I used Hireacamera. I'm sure there is someone on here from one of the hire companies that offers discounts?

I had no real issue with Hireacamera other than proof of identity however, it was understandable and they made it as easy as possible.

Oh rite yeah good idea fingers x someone may come forward.

Well yeah that's fair enough as it's an expensive piece of kit. How did you get yours through the post or did you collect it in store?

It was delivered and collected the day before/after the hire period. This was very easy

Okey dokey cheers guys I may go and try out lenses for hire as it's not worth me buying one unless after I feel like I need it but at this time I may try hiring.

Does anyone know what sort of settings to set up for air shows? I'm guessing a fast shutter speed etc?

Okey dokey cheers guys I may go and try out lenses for hire as it's not worth me buying one unless after I feel like I need it but at this time I may try hiring.

Does anyone know what sort of settings to set up for air shows? I'm guessing a fast shutter speed etc?

The only two basic rules I've applied (or tried to!) is to have a lower shutter speed for prop driven aircraft, just slow enough to demonstrate a blur of the propeller.
This prevents the appearance of the aircraft simply suspended in the air and not being in motion.

Fast jets require a faster shutter speed to avoid blurring when tracking them across the sky.

The only two basic rules I've applied (or tried to!) is to have a lower shutter speed for prop driven aircraft, just slow enough to demonstrate a blur of the propeller.
This prevents the appearance of the aircraft simply suspended in the air and not being in motion.

Fast jets require a faster shutter speed to avoid blurring when tracking them across the sky.

Okey dokey that's great thank you. So would you do this on manual as usual or would you pop the camera on tv, av etc? Thank you for the help so far [emoji1360]

Okey dokey that's great thank you. So would you do this on manual as usual or would you pop the camera on tv, av etc? Thank you for the help so far [emoji1360]

What I've started to do recently is manual settings for shutter and aperture with auto ISO. It's important to have some way of adjusting exposure compensation easily, some bodies allow this and some don't. I use an Olly E-m1 Mkii and a canon 1DX and they both allow this mode. I find this gives me the best control, not everyone will agree with this, it's a very personal thing.

One thing I will say .. I have the Sigma sport and it's a heavy lens to be pointing skywards for half a day. The C version is quite a bit lighter and the IQ isn't a lot different to be honest so unless you are using a tripod (tried that once at an air show and hated it) I would think hard about the Sport version.

As for settings I set up a couple of user modes, one for a slow shutter speed and the other for fast.

Last edited:
Just as a guide Chinook 1/80 Lynx 1/125 Puma 1/125 Hurk 1/160 spitfire 1/200 fast jets 1/2000

it does vary from above for props but in general this will give nice prop blur low iso for props 100/200 and 400 to 800 for jets depending on the light.

Rob.

Lens for hire very good.

Sig sport very goood, but as said, its a bit lardy....

Just had an email from lens for hire you may be interested in :

The Lenses For Hire
'Double Discount' sale!

We're running a very special offer this month. For the whole of February 2017, we're offering a 'Double Discount'.

There's 25% off all our hire prices. This discount will be applied automatically at the checkout - no need for you to do anything.

And then with every order we'll send you a discount voucher which is valid for 25% off a future hire. There is no value limit and no time limit on this voucher, so you can use it when you want, for whatever you want.

One thing I will say .. I have the Sigma sport and it's a heavy lens to be pointing skywards for half a day. The C version is quite a bit lighter and the IQ isn't a lot different to be honest so unless you are using a tripod (tried that once at an air show and hated it) I would think hard about the Sport version.

As for settings I set up a couple of user modes, one for a slow shutter speed and the other for fast.

Okey dokey that's handy to know Mike, what would your suggestions be instead of the siggy if you don't mind me asking?
Also whys the difference between the sport and c version?

Just as a guide Chinook 1/80 Lynx 1/125 Puma 1/125 Hurk 1/160 spitfire 1/200 fast jets 1/2000

it does vary from above for props but in general this will give nice prop blur low iso for props 100/200 and 400 to 800 for jets depending on the light.

Rob.

Cheers rob that's great help that's all been stored in my notes on my phone for quick reference [emoji85]

also seen what does everyone think of this lens
Tamron (Canon fit) SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD

What body are you using?

I went to Yeovilton a couple of years ago and looking at my shots I can't see anythin near the 450mm on my 150-450mm pentax lens. As long as you get there early and grab a front row spot you should be just fine with something like the Canon 100-400mm.

A couple taken in 2015 ... both well under 300mm.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/vC1akq]
[/url]

Last edited:
also seen what does everyone think of this lens
Tamron (Canon fit) SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD

Not used this or the Sigma, but from reviews and comments I've read, I'd probably recommend the Sigma Over the Tamron.

As others have said, it is heavy, so could be a bit of a handful for all day use.

What body are you shouting with ?

I've managed very well with a 300mm Prime on a crop body, added a 1.4 TC which made a difference for some shots, but then I was struggling to get some others I could previous, so swapped to the Canon 100-400 mkii and it works a treat for me. Very nice lens, very quick to focus and manageable weight wise for a days shooting for me...

Yes, bit of cropping might be needed on some shots, but I'm getting more and more of them keepers - rather than missing the top of the nose or rear of the plane [emoji3]

Certainly another option to consider ...

What body are you using?

I went to Yeovilton a couple of years ago and looking at my shots I can't see anythin near the 450mm on my 150-450mm pentax lens. As long as you get there early and grab a front row spot you should be just fine with something like the Canon 100-400mm.

A couple taken in 2015 ... both well under 300mm.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/vC1akq]
[/url]

I've got a canon 760d!

Oh rite nice shots that's worth a little think about then I'll see need to hire one as I've only currently got tamron 18-270 as I use that for all my travels as it's nice and portable.

Back