Airshow Lens hire advice.

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm thinking about going to the RIAT Air Show in Fairford in a couple of weeks, with my EOS450D.
Currently I have a Canon 75-300 Mk2, which is fine, but I could do with a little more "reach".
I hired a 100-400 L for Eastbourne last year, and struggled with A: the weight, and b: prop blur (I suspect I just need to turn off IS to resolve this?)

Anyone done RIAT, and able to confirm that either the 75-300 will be long enough, or if not, a decent lens, or should I just try the 100-400 again?

Hi,

A 100-400 will probably be your best bet. If you're not used to using primes (especially long ones) you'll probably be frustrated, especially for the big aircraft.

As for shutter speed/prop blur/IS you will want 1/250 ish for props, not much faster, and IS on mode 2 for panning. For jets, the shutter speed wants to be as high as possible, IS off.

Don't forget RIAT is advance ticket only and Saturday has already sold out.

Harry.

And only 2000 tickets left for Sunday, they're expecting those to sell out over the weekend so I'd crack on get some bought if I were you!! The RIAT weekend is one of the most popular for the hire companies so again I'd avoid delay.

You'll very rarely find yourself with too much length at an airshow. ;)

For jets use High shutter speed with IS OFF
For propeller planes drop shutter speed to between 1/100 and 1/250 and switch IS ON

The RIAT weekend is one of the most popular for the hire companies so again I'd avoid delay.
RIAT is the single biggest event in the calendar for us.

Back