Airshows 2010

Name
Mervyn
Edit My Images
Yes
Looking to the summer and airshows. Can anyone recommend a good airshow to attend June/jUly 2010. Need to book holiday accommodation soon. What about Fairford? merv:thinking:

Looking to the summer and airshows. Can anyone recommend a good airshow to attend June/jUly 2010. Need to book holiday accommodation soon. What about Fairford? merv:thinking:

If I only had the choice of one, it would definitely be Fairford without a shadow of doubt! (y)

Glen.

fairford is the obvious one..............

lowestoft also has a good selection of things with wings.......

Fairford is usually the one to see in July, personally, and a few friends have said it, that it isn't worth the hassle to get inside any more, Last couple of years I've camped on one of the many campsites outside fairford, aircraft flying over head, beer free flowing, BBQ's, no crowds to contend with....no 5 am start to get a good spot on the crowd line, no 500/600mm lens required for most shots and only £10-15 per night its cheaper than the £50-60 per day to get general entrance and forget about the gold pass, wasn't worth the money, friend bought one for weekend and spent most of it at our campsite instead.

Hope fully won't have a malfunctioning camera and lens like last year.

IMG_5959copy1.jpg

Another great show in June is Biggin Hill, fantastic show.

IMG_5719copy1.jpg

Peter

Last edited:
Fairford! it's amazin!!! :)

but..... the herc flew over our house after the bournemouth show, and I've regretted not going ever since.

Maria

Well, if you should choose Farnborough there are some new hotels and Travel Lodge right near to the airport. As for Bournemouth, I went this year and it was truly amazing (and surreal) swimming in the sea watching the airshow on a glorious summer's day. Just a pity I was cameraless when I attended :(.

The only trouble with the Bournemouth show is that it all takes place over the beach in the afternoon and although I was there every day the sun position was terrible most of the time. It may be better if you could hire a boat and go out to sea so that you are in a better spot.

So ... how many would be up for hiring a boat for a few days ;)

Waddinton for me, its massive.

Waddinton for me, its massive.
Unfortuantely it isn't really, not anymore last years show was one of their weakest in fact (despite their best efforts!).:( It's still a solid show, but it has long lost that extra 'edge' despite all the work the organisers put in (no thanks to almost every RAF display being chopped for 'desert cash').

RIAT at RAF Fairford is the best choice, end of discussion. It is the biggest, best and most varied airshow in the UK, and indeed the world by far with a vast array of kit you won't see anywhere else. Yes, it's also expensive, but my is it worth it! However, you must buy tickets in advance for RIAT, no on the gate sales, so bare that in mind.

I wrote a review on the aviation aspect of the show this year at http://www.aircraftinaction.com/2009/RIAT/RIAT.htm if it's of any interest.

Last edited:
Fairford is the biggest military airshow in the World with most of the Worlds latest aircraft on display
Oshkosh in the USA is without doubt the largest show with both civilian and military, but I guess not too many on this forum will attend Oshkosh LOL

Waddington is a well run show but the lineup has got weaker and weaker over the last few years - Last year was very weak and also had the Vulcan fiasco - (which was not the organizers fault)
Duxford is great for the old warbirds and usually at the Legends show they have a mass flypast which is pretty amazing

best advice though for which ever airshow you attend is get there early as lots of people last year were bitterly dissapointed after traveling hundreds of miles the place was sold out and no one allowed in after 10am

my 2p
Chris

Thanks guys for the advice. What about Sunderland show? Easy for me to get to. merv:thinking:

What Buttkicker said is spot on, if you were to go to Sunderland then you will be wanting a 300+ lens as they fly over the sea.

I did well with my 100-400. Have a look on my Flickr at the shots I got form Sunderland this year :)

Southport had virtually the same aircraft two years running

I'm hoping to get to The Flying Legends at Duxford in July if
i can find somewhere to stick me caravan (suggestions on a
postcard please to Jeremy Clarkson c/o the BBC.............)

Fairford is usually the one to see in July, personally, and a few friends have said it, that it isn't worth the hassle to get inside any more, Last couple of years I've camped on one of the many campsites outside fairford, aircraft flying over head, beer free flowing, BBQ's, no crowds to contend with....no 5 am start to get a good spot on the crowd line, no 500/600mm lens required for most shots and only £10-15 per night its cheaper than the £50-60 per day to get general entrance and forget about the gold pass, wasn't worth the money, friend bought one for weekend and spent most of it at our campsite instead.

Hope fully won't have a malfunctioning camera and lens like last year.

IMG_5959copy1.jpg

Another great show in June is Biggin Hill, fantastic show.

IMG_5719copy1.jpg

Peter

great shots (y) am i understanding that you stayed outside the event and got these shots, did you have local knowledge?

Yep, I'll also be heading to Duxford (Spring Airshow & Flying legends) this year as well as Biggin Hill. My brother and sister in law live about two miles away. The first year we went it took 3 hours to get in! We now cycle there ;)

Duxford dates are here if anone is interested:

http://duxford.iwm.org.uk/server/show/nav.24060

I like Waddington as im quite close to the show .. but in reality i would prefer to go to bigger and hopefully better Fairford show which will be my main show destination in 2010 .. here's one of mine from Waddy last july ..

euro.jpg

Fairford is good. Would be even better if the weather was great.

Lonely vote for Southend! :p

Duxford Airshow for me now involves going to the Duxford village school.
Cant remember £5 or £7 a car with 2 free hot drinks!
They open up the school and lay on BBQ's and medical people.
Then walk across the road to the fields and get a great view of the show and some real close shots.. Field is on other side of motorway on the flight line..
I still go inside for a few events and have a Friends of Duxford pass but prefer the fields..:)

Can recommend Shoreham Air Show, end of Aug, beg of Sept...I live in Shoreham and fly from there so I go every year... but you can stay at Travel Lodge in Worthing...nineteen quid a night i think....ticket for the Airshow about fifteeen.....

Back