Albert Dock Liverpool

Hi Jay, did you use a tripod? Im just wondering because the sky looks quite noisy, so its fairly grainy and lots of detail from the water and buildings would not have been captured - but I DO like the scene. (y)

The only issue I can find about the scene itself, would be the foreground, what ever is at the bottom of the image, (I think its a fence of somekind?) spoils the image of what would be a pretty night scene.

It looks like you may have used a fairly open aperture, the detail drops off quite a bit, from about a quarter of the way through the image. At a guess, Im thinking F5.6, maybe 6.3 ? (maybe a little higher, but not high enough)

If you have a tripod and can get back there. Get the camera up a little higher so you dont have the "fence" in the way (or crop it out in the final image, giving you a "wide scene"), put your aperture upto around F10/12/13, use a remote (or use the shutter timer), leave the mirror open so there wont be any mirror-"slap" which can wobble the camera ever so slightly and then expose for your image with a longer shutterspeed (probably a few seconds) at ISO100, then you'll have a nice clean, sharp image, with a load of detail reaching far back into the image. Your reflections may be a little more blurred, depending on how much water movement you get though but everything will be nicely defined.

If you can, post up the settings you use when you take more photographs when posting in the CC area - it provides a lot of useful information, not only to someone to CC against, but also others who would like to attempt the same type of photograph as yourself - so while you're learning, you're helping others too :)

I look forward to seeing more photographs as you get used to your camera :) Have a merry Christmas.

Jay, exactly what Carl said, but you might also consider if possible shooting the scene when there is just a bit of natural light left in the sky, it'll do wonders for your night scene photography. Even so if this is your first attempt then you have made a very good job of it. Looking forward to seeing some more of your images.(y)

"Merry Christmas"

George.

Exactly what Karl said, what looks like a chain fence spoils the picture. I'm no expect but that's the first thing I saw. Great scene

Back