Album Cover

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
A friend of mine is in a band and has asked where he can get copies of the "album art" printed in a style that would replicate the glossy finish of an album cover.

This is not something I've been asked before and as I shot the cover, he's asked me to source some prints.

A friend of mine is in a band and has asked where he can get copies of the "album art" printed in a style that would replicate the glossy finish of an album cover.

This is not something I've been asked before and as I shot the cover, he's asked me to source some prints.

Not 100% clear as to what you mean? Is a print on standard(?) gloss C type print not glossy enough?

Or is the album cover printed and maybe with what is called Spot UV Varnish i.e. only parts of the design are glossy and others not glossy?

If this latter, that is one of a range of print processes that companies that "print finishing" within the printing trade do. But note ~ they would have quite large minimum runs to make it economic/commercially viable.

HTH a tad ? :)

PS you shot the cover art.......who printed the covers, perhaps get that company to make the requested prints???

Last edited:
Maybe I didn't explain myself properly (but at least I knew what I meant :D)

They want the print to look like the album cover, so it needs to be printed to card with a glossy finish. Basically, they want copies of the album cover to wall mount, but don't know how to get that done. The record company took care of the actual album covers themselves.

Does that make more sense?

Can you print yourself or do you need someone to do it for you? Is it a favour for a friend, or a professional job?

Gloss generally doesn't come in heavyweight paper. Some of the heavier cotton based rags (360gsm++) will replicate the weight and thickness, but not the shiny gloss.

My suggestion would be to DIY. Get the prints done as 12x12s on your favourite glossy, then spray mount them to stiff card. It won't be the same, but if they're going on the wall, you/they probably won't notice/care. That'd be my solution as a "favour for a friend". If it was asked in professional capacity as a supplement to a paid job, I'd be speaking to printers to get a custom job done with an appropriate price.

You could try and find a local digital printer who could print it and gloss laminate it, current digi presses can print on 350/400gsm. Cost wise it'll fall into their min charge I would of thought, a rough guess £30ish maybe.

Back