All 400D users! or anyone else

Edit My Images
Yes
I need some advice please. I am going to buy the 400D, hopefully this week, probably from Amazon. However, im a bit short on money so was wondering what the better deal is.

Should I buy the camera with the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens Kit, which seems to be the standard lens, for £385. Or should I buy just the camera body for £349, and buy the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens seperately for £62, meaning I spend around £410ish.

I know the second option is more expensive, but from the reviews I have read the EF 50mm/1.8 lens is a step up from the standard one, and is worth purchasing.

I am mainly taking photos where the focus is on lighting and atmosphere. Cheers to anyone who can help me

Well ive only had mine for a month but im very happy with the results from the 18-55.....never tried the 50mm if this is your first dslr would go with the kit lens personaly......sure someone will have better advice ***.

The 50mm (nifty fifty) is an absolutely cracking lens, but in my opinion, its not really a sufficient replacement for the 18-55. The kit lens will give you so much more versatility. The nifty fifty is a lens (as I said, in my opinion) that should be bought on top of the kit lens.

And pretty much all photos are based around lighting and atmosphere.

If it were me, I'd get the kit for £385, then save up and get the nifty fifty as well.

:plus1: Nifty fifty is great but the kit lens will give you more versatility.

is this not a better buy for you ? its the set i was thinking of getting...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CANON-REBEL-X...ryZ31388QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

hope this helps

kev

I looked at buying from them a while ago but they are not actually new they are refurbished so i wouldn't buy one but it is a very tempting package
I also now that in jessops they have a few quite good package deals http://www.jessops.com/Store/s35964...-400D-(Black)-+-EFS-18-55mm-Lens/details.aspx if you scroll down that page you will see them there and i don't think i would get the 50mm as if your new to photography its better to have a different range of shooting distances which can also help you to decide what to get for your second lens.

Be aware that the rebel is the USA version of the camera and would not be guaranteed by Canon UK, also you may have to pay duty and vat on top of the auction price.

That said my first dslr was a Rebel version of the 300d, never had a major problem with it and it's still going strong today.

reason i was looking at them personally was because they are in nottingham and so am i so was hoping to collect.

should i steer well away ?

Kev

you could try the canon outlet store on ebay, i picked up a refurbished 400d with kit lens for £300 inc a years canon warranty, as far as i can tell it looks brand new :)

400D has cashback from canon of £45. I'd buy that and buy the newer 18-55mm IS lens for £110...all in with cashback around your £410

What about getting the 18-55 IS lens. The optics are supposed to be better than in the original 18-55 and its only about £109!

I had a 400D with the canon 18-55 lens and my lady had a 350D with the same lens we both decided in the end that the lens is fine up to about 3/4 meteres but at a distance of about 10 meteres or more is quite soft. Not a good walk about lens as not good for distance, I kept swapping to my 10-20 Sigma for distance which got some good shots but was a pain, and not really what I wanted from the lens.

If I had my time again I would but the 400D body only and then get a Sigma 18-50mm f3.5-5.6 DC Lens )(£69.99 - www.warehouseexpress.com) which I beleive is a much better lens.

I got my 400d with the kit lens then got the 50mm it hasn't left the camera! :D it really makes you think about composition a little more as you don't have that work space being a prime

I think I am going to get the body only w/ cashback, get the newer IS lens and then get the 50mm. HOWEVER, a few people on here said i could get the IS lens for £110, where abouts can ig et it for this price? I have looked on quite a few websites and the price is around £150/70. If i can find it for 110 I will get it.
cheers everyone for your advice, youve helped me a lot

Have a look at Warehouse Express for bundle deals, they have quite a few for the 400D.

Back