All Asda photo depts could be closing soon?

Having said that our local Sainsbury's has stopped doing photo stuff, I noticed that they do now stock a few vinyl albums!

Having said that our local Sainsbury's has stopped doing photo stuff, I noticed that they do now stock a few vinyl albums!

Analogue records is a good comparison to film... as although you get a few pops and crackles the few say the sound is superor...so the few say the same for film.

Well I think most people judge an Asda scan as it is an not what it could be …..if you are not worried about the cost or don’t mind waiting for days or have loads of winners, then always use a good lab with high resolution scans.
If you except the Asda m\c can develop a roll of film the same as most labs then you have negs that can be used in the darkroom for £2 and it takes about 25 mins to do (when they are not busy).

But for me to be worthy of using a good lab, a roll of 24 exp would take me months to get through, so coming back to Asda (my one) even a Epson V750 can’t beat a Fuji Frontier m\c for detail and also those unscannable frames, the Asda Fuji Frontier has no problem (well you get a better result). How do I know? Well once I had some prints done of a scene and really liked a particular one so thought I’d scan it with the V750 and even using Photoshop I just couldn’t equal the print…it was one of those unscannable negs where you alter one colour and it effects\ruins the other colours and could never get it right. Ok an expert could probably have solved it but what’s the point of using film if you have to spend ages on the scanner and computer.

So after years know exactly how the Asda scanning m\c is set up which is too bright, and on some shots over sharpening shows, also the shadows lack detail. Well on loading the CD I can see the shots that are erm never going to be winners and in a few minutes in Photoshop know how to adjust the better shots and also know the Asda 1800 X 1240px scan is good for up to A4 prints. Also if you did need to show more shadow it take seconds to adjust in PS.

And if you ever get a great winning shot then send the neg off to a good lab and get a 16 X 12 print done (which my son did).

Many of my Tesco and Asda done shots are on http://s304.photobucket.com/user/chakrata/library/smaller pixels for forums?sort=3&page=1

The good, bad and ugly and testing lenses, etc many shots are taken with OOD film (up to 8 years) and if you think they are crap it doesn't matter because I like them ;)

Brian, to be honest I have no interest in ASDA scans, although they use the same kit as AG , UK Film Lab and other pro labs, the Frontier's at ASDA are set to auto and in my view the output is random and very hit an miss. I much prefer to scan myself. My concern about the closure of ASDA labs is the ability to get a film developed in a short space of time, to me that would be a loss.

Film is now a niche market, accept it.

Andrew, I think those of us who shoot film and in particular those of us who inhabit this part of TP already know that so you are somewhat stating the obvious! The point of the thread is that a high street processor might be shutting down, this will be a loss, but not the end of the world. Film photography will carry on, all be it a small and niche market.

Where I think your post is helpful though is that I entirely agree that digital is the norm, indeed digital is now and has been for quite some time the conventional way to make images.

For this reason I have never understood why this section of TP is called Film and Conventional???

Last edited:
If you want a film devved in a short space of time then there is a lot to be said for the daylight developing tanks. Bit of a pain if you've ton a lot of rolls though!

If you want a film devved in a short space of time then there is a lot to be said for the daylight developing tanks. Bit of a pain if you've ton a lot of rolls though!

I haven't used a daylight tank for some years, that said I should really be doing C41 at home, I like the convenience of ASDA, just leaving the films in and then collecting the negs when the shopping is done, if it goes it might be time to dust of the Jobo!

Brian, to be honest I have no interest in ASDA scans, although they use the same kit as AG , UK Film Lab and other pro labs, the Frontier's at ASDA are set to auto and in my view the output is random and very hit an miss. I much prefer to scan myself. My concern about the closure of ASDA labs is the ability to get a film developed in a short space of time, to me that would be a loss.

Well Adrian I just don't get it as in the old days you would get a large print of thumbnails e.g. studio shots and then select the ones that you like for a decent sized print......well into the modern era you can do the same with an Asda scan, choose the ones that you like then scan those ones on your home scanner.....I just can't see what is wrong with that system as why scan 36 exposures on a home scanner when maybe many of them are losers, and even better if you get 144 frames scanned to a CD for £2....jeez scanning 144 frames with a home scanner. :eek:

If someone made a desktop sized automatic idiot proof daylight developing machine that I could attach a film leader to, shut the lid and come back to a fully processed dry film I'd buy one straight away.

Well Adrian I just don't get it as in the old days you would get a large print of thumbnails e.g. studio shots and then select the ones that you like for a decent sized print......well into the modern era you can do the same with an Asda scan, choose the ones that you like then scan those ones on your home scanner.....I just can't see what is wrong with that system as why scan 36 exposures on a home scanner when maybe many of them are losers, and even better if you get 144 frames scanned to a CD for £2....jeez scanning 144 frames with a home scanner. :eek:

Each to their own Brian, I am old school, I put my negs on a light table, view them with a loupe and then choose which to scan. It would be rare for me to have 144 keepers;)

Film is now a niche market, accept it.

Digital cameras are mainstream, but printing is becoming niche even from the digital world.

and you enjoy shooting digital and viewing the results on a screen??

Your posting comes across as an "I'm alright Jack , tough on you" kind of attitude which tbh sucks.

Like others in hère, i enjoy shooting film and holding à "true" printed photograph in my hand.

i already "accept" that film products and services are a niche market, however that market still exists and would possibly be helped to continue by people voicing their discontent at closures etc as against just "accepting it" !

I like scanning, really, really enjoy it. I also like dust spotting... I fully understand that I am a bit weird but you all already know that.
I do not want to entrust any part of the photographic process to anyone else, even though I am a muppet who quite often messes it up. With digital it is the end result that matters, with film it is the whole immersive process of making an image. At some point I will close the loop and have a dark room for printing but until then I will have to make do with a final digital output whether that is a print or pixels.
I am quite happy, however, to use Asda (or whoever) to dev a test film from a new camera if I dont have the time or the chems.
Yes, it is a niche but so are classic cars, vinyl records or collecting lawnmowers. If uou dont want to be part of our niche then bugg er off and find a niche you do want to be part of. :mad::D

Andy, can I send you all my negatives for scanning, please? I absolutely loathe doing it - one of the reasons I'm now almost totally digital.

Well I find scanning boring but I don't mind scanning 6 X 7 as there are only 10 frames and save some money for 120 lab scans....wait a minute to save money on lab scans that means scanning fifteen 6X4.5s it's getting boring again :eek:

Last edited:
and you enjoy shooting digital and viewing the results on a screen??

Your posting comes across as an "I'm alright Jack , tough on you" kind of attitude which tbh sucks.

Like others in hère, i enjoy shooting film and holding à "true" printed photograph in my hand.

i already "accept" that film products and services are a niche market, however that market still exists and would possibly be helped to continue by people voicing their discontent at closures etc as against just "accepting it" !
Cool

How many times have you used Asda for printing in the last 12 months?

The point of the thread is that a high street processor might be shutting down, this will be a loss

No it won't be a loss, how many on here use asda regularly, I bet not many. It isn't a loss when no body uses it.

I shoot film also, but would i get it scanned on the high street, no I wouldn't, I hardly use the high street, but then I also accept when they close.

Cool

No it won't be a loss, how many on here use asda regularly, I bet not many. It isn't a loss when no body uses it.

I shoot film also, but would i get it scanned on the high street, no I wouldn't, I hardly use the high street, but then I also accept when they close.

As i live nowhere near the retail chain of Asda, i haven't been able to use them!

However if you choose to take on board the comments made in other posts in this thread you may notice that several people have/ do use film developing services offered by Asda.

As à film user, when did you last post a shot from film in the f&c section?........you're certainly not à regular in here yet very quick to tell us what we have to accept because you couldn't give a t**s about the high street outlets that some other folk rely on.

By all means join us in f&c and share your film work, but may i suggest that you leave the c*ck attitude at home in it's little niche!

As i live nowhere near the retail chain of Asda, i haven't been able to use them!

However if you choose to take on board the comments made in other posts in this thread you may notice that several people have/ do use film developing services offered by Asda.

As à film user, when did you last post a shot from film in the f&c section?........you're certainly not à regular in here yet very quick to tell us what we have to accept because you couldn't give a t**s about the high street outlets that some other folk rely on.

By all means join us in f&c and share your film work, but may i suggest that you leave the c*ck attitude at home in it's little niche!
Are you 12 or are you very insecure about something?

My comment was accept it I couldn't give a flying f*** what you actually do TBH.
Didn't realise i had to post images to have an opinion or do like to control who says what?

I tell you what I will just go with the oh my gosh how terrible asda is closing its film processing that's terrible how dare they attitude, is that better?

Nothing wrong with being niche, don't think I said there was? However you can't expect a big chain like asda will support it.

:muted: :muted:

I mean...:muted: :muted:

by rights I shouldn't really post in this thread, I don't use asda, I don't scan or get negs scanned anymore, I don't need a scanned contact sheet to choose which negs to print, all in all it ain't got nowt to do with me......but.....I do feel for those that do, I do see the implications of not being able to get a roll of 35mm deved/scanned either on the high street or somewhere convenient, how it makes it difficult for new users to experience shooting film, the impact that that can have on films popularity and the number of new users taking it up.
I suppose it is for purely selfish reasons that I support Brian's whinge, for the film industry to maintain viability and for me to be able to carry on doing what I want to do, we/I don't need any extra hoops to jump through or spanners chucked in the works, like convenient dev and scan outlets shutting down.
I can't really process "niche" or "get over it", its not like there is an alternative, once its gone, its gone.

Cool

Well they have self serving digi m\cs there as well to put your card in and get prints......but the mass of digi uses are dumb in that if they don't get their shots on long lasting paper they are going to lose their jpgs shots over the years..also the girl who manages the photo shop also helps with the 3d key cutting m\c..three for £10.
It's all handy as you can also do your shopping while films are being done.

:muted: :muted:

I mean...:muted: :muted:

by rights I shouldn't really post in this thread, I don't use asda, I don't scan or get negs scanned anymore, I don't need a scanned contact sheet to choose which negs to print, all in all it ain't got nowt to do with me......but.....I do feel for those that do, I do see the implications of not being able to get a roll of 35mm deved/scanned either on the high street or somewhere convenient, how it makes it difficult for new users to experience shooting film, the impact that that can have on films popularity and the number of new users taking it up.
I suppose it is for purely selfish reasons that I support Brian's whinge, for the film industry to maintain viability and for me to be able to carry on doing what I want to do, we/I don't need any extra hoops to jump through or spanners chucked in the works, like convenient dev and scan outlets shutting down.
I can't really process "niche" or "get over it", its not like there is an alternative, once its gone, its gone.

...but you might use Asda just for dev if that could do 120 colour film and it cost £2 ;)

Not doing any of that Brian, what I shoot I want to print, so no scanning....of anything, not printing colour so there's no point in shooting it.
I could be persuaded to shoot E6 just for the hell of it, not interested in scanning it but asda could conceivably dev it if they did E6 120.....which they don't...:wacky:

In a strange way Asda closing down could be a good thing for me as my first love is 120 but cheap dev and scanning for 35mm and I've held back,,,well if I have to get dev (only) some where and it's the same price to dev 35mm and 120 and if I have to now do my own scanning...then there is no point in doing 35mm anymore.

...well if I have to get dev (only) some where and it's the same price to dev 35mm and 120 and if I have to now do my own scanning...

For C41, IIRC Filmdev charges the same price for 135 or 120 for a nice (medium res) scan and dev for a fiver. If you want dev and the small scan it's £3 135 or £4 120. Min £5 per order. Free return delivery, and you get a highly compressed download available the day it's scanned, and the CD the next day. It's not one hour turnround, but it beats most others!

Sadly they don't do E6 or even black and white. They will give you an 8-bit TIFF and cut negs into 6s if you ask. :)

For C41, IIRC Filmdev charges the same price for 135 or 120 for a nice (medium res) scan and dev for a fiver. If you want dev and the small scan it's £3 135 or £4 120. Min £5 per order. Free return delivery, and you get a highly compressed download available the day it's scanned, and the CD the next day. It's not one hour turnround, but it beats most others!

Sadly they don't do E6 or even black and white. They will give you an 8-bit TIFF and cut negs into 6s if you ask. :)

That's reasonable if you live near........but Royal mail charges for posting annoy me unless you can send many rolls off at the same time.

I don't use Asda for processing, but I agree that the loss of simple one hour processing is indeed a loss. Whatever helps people who use film is good.

I don't process my own colour (not since the days of Ferrania CR50) and for the odd colour I use a local lab who offer a one hour service (not that I need it):

Here at Colourstream we are committed to the ongoing use of film and the creative possibilities it can offer. We process in house - colour negative (C41), black and white, and colour transparency (E6), in 35mm, 120 and 5x4” sizes.
Cross processing and alternative cameras are also welcomed. We can develop, contact, scan and print any of these film types and all developing is to a professional standard, on monitored equipment. Develop and print packages are offered in all the common sizes, and develop and scan packages in standard and high resolution.
Film can be dropped in here to our central Brighton lab or sent by post for full mail order service. Colour and black and white developing, scanning and printing can be turned around in 1 hour for those needing a speedy local service. All negatives are scanned and printed using our sophisticated colour analysis software. This includes colour balancing, contrast, saturation, dust and hair removal correction. Please see our sections below for details on
(from their website)

Given that due to my advanced years and (government perceived) infirmities I enjoy a free bus pass, and that one of the buses that passes my front door also passes their door, it's simple to go there. So, at least in Brighton, it seems that one hour processing in the city centre is possible (they are about 5 minutes walk from the pier, in a shopping street). I will admit that my local Asda (80 minutes by bus, 10 by car) is faster to get to, but I rarely go there and don't know if they offer a film service. But then, I don't use 35mm.

Well if Asda do close everything down...it's back to the thread where to get film dev for a few of us and newbies and think of the loss when people post "I've found an old film in the drawer" :( so I suppose the next cheap advice would be Tesco's send away service.....well if they are cheaper than a lab.
I'm already thinking ahead where to get dev only for 35mm and 120...and if bad news I won't be buying any more Vista or 35mm films at the bootie...as I have a freezer full.

Back